General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

My Truck vs. 1998 Chevrolet 3500 Dually 4x4 454, who wins?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Truck vs. 1998 Chevrolet 3500 Dually 4x4 454, who wins?

Don't have time to do the reasearch right now but a guy at work thinks he would drag me around so looking for an answer, I've already been talking a little trash.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:58 PM

looks like he will have better traction than you will since its a one ton and a dually. if you do it make sure that your hitch point is level with his to make it fair. a higher hitch point is an advantage. use 4x4, low if you have to. and do not spin the tires or it will be all over!. some people will try to hold the other truck with their brakes till the other truck starts spinning and then drag em all over. good luck and dont use a chain!!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:07 PM

does it REALLY matter? give him a run for his money in the 1/4 or with a trailer in tow, but dont go bustin parts in a tug....
Old 01-11-2010, 05:41 PM

no it doesn't REALLY matter mostly for fun never done it before but this guy thinks I don't have a chance and want to prove him otherwise (I think), and plan on doing it on the dirt, at least I do. he is going to weigh his truck tonight, anybody know what his truck should weigh?
Old 01-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Doing a tug is just stupid IMHO

If he really thinks he has an awesome truck, tell him to hook up to similar trailers with about 15K pounds and then race up a hill. When the smoke clears and he finally catches up to you when you stop at the top, you have bragging rights
Old 01-11-2010, 06:06 PM

Hurry and mod your truck, get a chip and some stuff or if you have a buddy that has some performance stuff, borrow his so you know you can win.

Also i would put a lot of weight in the back of your truck, giving you more traction and makin it harder for him to pull you from the added weight.

put her in 4 lo and give her hell and hope you don't break nothin
Old 01-11-2010, 06:55 PM

I like the idea of hooking up trailers and heading up a hill, we talked about this once and he thinks he could hang with me which I know is just rediculous based on specs alone (325/600 vs 290/410). Really don't want to break anything but should be fairly safe on dirt. Not looking to cheat we want to go stock weights and I think he has stock rubber, strap will be at the same height. Just want to shut him up he seems to sure of himself or at least if I lose maybe could talk him into pulling something.

ANYBODY KNOW ABOUT WHAT HIS TRUCK WEIGHS? AND IF IT WOULD HAVE A LIMITED SLIP? can't seem to find this info using google searches.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 PM
SWC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just Something to Think About

This summer we traveled with my sister and her husband. We both had 5ers in tow. They have 01 duramax/allison not modified, and a 36ft Hitchhiker which probably weighed 2000 lbs more then our 29ft Laredo. I drove my 01.5 in my signature. I let them drive ahead of us as my sister would make a good caravan wagonmaster. I am sure when he pulled away from a stop he would mash the go pedal and let the allison do the shifting as he would pull away from me. I could have kept up with him but I have this leisurely rate of acceleration as I row through the gears that keeps my rate of acceleration fairly consistent from start to cruising speed. In a couple of minutes I would be behind him and at the first hill he would drop the speed as he didn't want to race the duramax as it would shift down right away.
The point of my rambling is I was impressed with the ability of his rig to speed up much the same as d/a combination is pretty good in a drag race. A race up a hill with a load would be interesting but to me where the Cummins would shine is when you both hit the hill running.
My rig will pull like a champ and when a hill comes along the little 5.9 just says give me more. The duramax or powerstroke are screaming "when will we reach the top"!!!
Didn't mean to derail this thread but d/a modified could be a challenge in a tow up a hill.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by SWC
This summer we traveled with my sister and her husband. We both had 5ers in tow. They have 01 duramax/allison not modified, and a 36ft Hitchhiker which probably weighed 2000 lbs more then our 29ft Laredo. I drove my 01.5 in my signature. I let them drive ahead of us as my sister would make a good caravan wagonmaster. I am sure when he pulled away from a stop he would mash the go pedal and let the allison do the shifting as he would pull away from me. I could have kept up with him but I have this leisurely rate of acceleration as I row through the gears that keeps my rate of acceleration fairly consistent from start to cruising speed. In a couple of minutes I would be behind him and at the first hill he would drop the speed as he didn't want to race the duramax as it would shift down right away.
The point of my rambling is I was impressed with the ability of his rig to speed up much the same as d/a combination is pretty good in a drag race. A race up a hill with a load would be interesting but to me where the Cummins would shine is when you both hit the hill running.
My rig will pull like a champ and when a hill comes along the little 5.9 just says give me more. The duramax or powerstroke are screaming "when will we reach the top"!!!
Didn't mean to derail this thread but d/a modified could be a challenge in a tow up a hill.
Thanks, yeah I have heard the Duramax is no slouch just not built as strong as a Cummins but the truck in question is a V8 454 gasser.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:13 PM

I went to a g2g on new years and that was part of there fun there. Hooking up to see "who da boss" plain stupid! There was a 99 ford 7.3 that was doing all the draggin around. He pulled around several guys in newer ctd's (autos) then he kept asking me to hook up. I wasn't gonna give him the pleasure of losing. Iam almost sure I would of lost it was a crew f350 SRW 4x4 4 door LWB. Don't hook up just race him uphill!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hauled 14 horses in my trailer behind my 04 305 hp 555tq dodge (Stock). A 454 Vortec with 4.10's couldn't keep up on the hills and he only had 8 horses and a lot smaller trailer.

If it's just for fun just do it. It's not about who has the most power. Fill your tank with fuel and make sure your hitch is the same height as his.

Don't forget to video
Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 PM

Cool

We used to haul a circle track car on an open 18 ft flatbed tandem, a bed full of tools, and three crew in a '95 4x4 big block Chevrolet ext cab long bed, 1-ton single wheel.
Our pit buddy used a 1997 12v dualie ext cab 4wd, towing a car of equal weight in a 28ft tandem enclosed featherlight with a bed full of tools and three crew.
When we left the track, the competition would sometimes show up in the tow rigs. Our truck would barely maintain the speed limit up hills with the go pedal mashed to the wood. However, he would walk away up hills and put multiple car lengths on us. Then he'd let up on the loud pedal, fall back even, point and laugh at us, then haul the mail again and put lengths on us up the the next grade. No contest.
Hooking them is all about leverage and technique. If he knows tricks, you could lose. However, load them with the same 10k on a trailer and head up the same hill. THEN laugh your posterior off at his gasser when he affords you enough time to check your tire pressures waiting on him to finsh the grade.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:38 PM

And don't forget to bring along some extra gas to help him make it home!
DS79
Old 01-12-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by deerslayer1979
And don't forget to bring along some extra gas to help him make it home!
DS79
That's what I was thinking! Just drive until one runs out of fuel first.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
load it up with some weight in the back and video it!!!!

Quick Reply: My Truck vs. 1998 Chevrolet 3500 Dually 4x4 454, who wins?