General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

My 01 Ford 550

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:01 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
My 01 Ford 550

I posted this experience over on a powerstroke forum that I visit. Mostly trying to understand things a little better.

Got a PM from a guy who told me he would have burned it down by now...

Ok, story goes this way

01 F550 4x4, 7.3, ZF6.

Good combo overall, solid truck, highest mileage component is engine at 80,000km. Rest of truck has been gone through from end to end in the last 60k.

So, the engine is a complete drop in from ford, and today, after having worked on said engine every day for the last 3 weeks, I have decided to post my experiences.

Problem 1: descending a grade that would be a money-making amusement park ride. The Cam Sensor fails. No power assist on the steering or brakes, but its all good, get it under control, stop, replace the sensor, carry on.

2: next night coming home, HPOP O-rings let go on the pump, left side, and IPR. Root around, find some O-rings aboard, change them at 3 am, and off we go.

3: Running along, stumbles/farts/blows ugly smoke/dies. Low pressure fuel system is goofy, end up replacing line from tank to LP, and then digging into the module to mod the poorly engineered pickup system.

4: EBPV sticks closed, and EBPV actuator is leaking oil. Rip turbo off, gut EBPV, Gut pedestal, seal up, carry on.

5: #3 injector craps out. Change injector, carry on.

6: Top keeps coming loose on stock airbox. Had enough, install 6637 NAPA filter and adapter made from 4" stainless pipe. No more dirt in air ducts.

7: Right side fuel line pinholes where body clamp mounts to head. Dumps valley full of fuel, leaks, smokes etc. Repair line, carry on.

add this to the middle u-joint letting go, the rear transfer case seal blowing out, the front u-joint at the diff giving up, and the continual crunch/grind into 4th gear on the tranny, as well as a bunch of blow-by oil in the intake system, and you begin to wonder uhhhh WTH am I doing with this for a service truck?

This unit also obtains an earth shattering 6.41 MPG on the highway, at 50 mph or 80 km/h however you wish to view it. Ranks right up there with a lot of kenworths... when they're hauling B-trains.

Anyway, yeah, glad I have a sense of humour. Ford " we don't just build trucks... we build character "

So, replacement time coming up next week, but its been fun so far.

My last PS was a 97 450 2wd 5 speed. It got at least 8.75 MPG, and had several sets of injectors, 15 push tubes, an HPOP, a turbo, and 3 sets of glow plugs by the time it was 6 months old.

Not sure if I have bad luck, or just none at all.

As am addendum to the whole story. I have had the top off of this engine 21 times in 21 days. I am getting proficient at it. However, on the down side, I have worn out the gear clamps that hold the charge air boots to the intake plenums. I have also donated more chunks of flesh to the burrs on the HPOP lines, than I care to think about. But hey, its all good.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow...

When did you purchase this truck?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:38 AM

bought it last year, when the engine had 74,800 km on it.

Put it to work this spring, and I've put 5900km on it since I started running it.

So, basically I am going to replace the cab and chassis, and keep the working deck and crane.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have read your previous replies in other post in regards to the 7.3.
You have a shopping list of problems that leave me some what stumped.

If you had the top of that engine apart 21 time in 21 days I would tend to believe that reoccurring issues would tend to be repair related. Don't take this as an assault against you, it is not meant that way! I know Ford has had some issues with the 7.3, however i have never in my 27 years of working on Intertrashionals seen so many failures in such a short period of ownership. You either got a submerged, totaled wreck that was hacked together for a quick sale or you just flat out got a lemon with a black cloud hanging over it.

As far as mileage goes, I think you hold the world record. Anything below 10mpg on a maxed out 7.3 is absurd.

Pind, I am just relating what I have dealt with in this area. NO disrespect intended.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:33 AM

Pind, sounds like the experience my father-n-law had. After 2 blow 7.3 in 6 months and then a blown 6.0. He switched to a dmax, this after being a ford guy for 50 years. Tried to talk him into the dodge, liked the cummins, not the dodge.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:35 AM

what I got, was a complete new drop in engine, in a used truck.

Every time i go into the top of the engine, it is for something completely unrelated to the last repair. That is what makes it so cool... and character improving.

The funny thing is, I have all the reciepts of work done to the truck prior to my purchase of the unit. All repairs done by a reputable shop in the Edmonton AB area. I have never seen problems in their work before, and yes, I have seen many units that they have worked on, up here in the southern north.

That said. I have been working on autos, OTR and mining equipment for 25 years as a profession. I work alone, this is my service truck. ( and yes, it has seen a lot of service lately, and not in a good way for me )

I have had issues before, on various pieces, as I am sure you have, this one has me not stumped, or vexed, but more frustrated, and curious as to what the solution will be.

Up to this point, I have kept the truck stock, in search of reliability. as of the other day, when the EBPV stuck shut, the mods started. as related above, I gutted the pedestal, and the ebpv housing, so that there would be no more issues there. I also installed a DIY air intake, with the 6637 filter, as the stock box was poorly designed, and kept popping open. Apparently that issue is a known one, as ford does have an updated intake system for those trucks / engines.

Now, I have worked on the 7.3 in International trucks, Med duty stuff, and I have never seen the kinds of problems I am seeing with the ford stuff in general, and this truck in particular. That said, IH isn't revving them to the moon to get the power out of them either, from what I can recall. And there is definitely some ford engineering in the mix there somewhere.

Now, I have the previous owner's maintenance records for this truck, since new, as he was working for a company that required all maintenance be logged. The body is a high miler, but the oldest component as stated, is the engine, which now has just over 80km on it. At this rate, I cannot afford to wait for it to get old.

Further on the repair related. Believe me, I have seen my share of cracked injector harnesses, leaking injector O-rings, broken wastegate lines, improperly installed up-pipes, poorly fitted intake boots, and so on. Heck, over the years, I know I've made some mistakes all on my own... and learned from them too.

When I go out to the field, which is where I work ( no shops for this little ogre ) I do the repairs as I would do them in a shop. Sometimes it takes a little longer, but you don't go back in there for the same issue. And I warranty my work. There have been two instances in the last 10 years where I've had to go back into a job that I completed. Both times turned out to be defective parts. Made me feel better, even though I still ate the labour on the second time around.

Thanks for the insight. Work hard, stay safe.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:42 AM

maybe just a factory lemon? got a friday afternoon crate engine?

would it be so out of line to just replace the 7.3 with a mechanical cummins. some bolt in swap parts availiable for that truck for sure.

outside of the engine how do you like the truck as a 550 service truck?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:53 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pind
what I got, was a complete new drop in engine, in a used truck.

Every time i go into the top of the engine, it is for something completely unrelated to the last repair. That is what makes it so cool... and character improving.

The funny thing is, I have all the receipts of work done to the truck prior to my purchase of the unit. All repairs done by a reputable shop in the Edmonton AB area. I have never seen problems in their work before, and yes, I have seen many units that they have worked on, up here in the southern north.

That said. I have been working on autos, OTR and mining equipment for 25 years as a profession. I work alone, this is my service truck. ( and yes, it has seen a lot of service lately, and not in a good way for me )

I have had issues before, on various pieces, as I am sure you have, this one has me not stumped, or vexed, but more frustrated, and curious as to what the solution will be.

Up to this point, I have kept the truck stock, in search of reliability. as of the other day, when the EBPV stuck shut, the mods started. as related above, I gutted the pedestal, and the ebpv housing, so that there would be no more issues there. I also installed a DIY air intake, with the 6637 filter, as the stock box was poorly designed, and kept popping open. Apparently that issue is a known one, as ford does have an updated intake system for those trucks / engines.

Now, I have worked on the 7.3 in International trucks, Med duty stuff, and I have never seen the kinds of problems I am seeing with the ford stuff in general, and this truck in particular. That said, IH isn't revving them to the moon to get the power out of them either, from what I can recall. And there is definitely some ford engineering in the mix there somewhere.

Now, I have the previous owner's maintenance records for this truck, since new, as he was working for a company that required all maintenance be logged. The body is a high miler, but the oldest component as stated, is the engine, which now has just over 80km on it. At this rate, I cannot afford to wait for it to get old.

Further on the repair related. Believe me, I have seen my share of cracked injector harnesses, leaking injector O-rings, broken wastegate lines, improperly installed up-pipes, poorly fitted intake boots, and so on. Heck, over the years, I know I've made some mistakes all on my own... and learned from them too.

When I go out to the field, which is where I work ( no shops for this little ogre ) I do the repairs as I would do them in a shop. Sometimes it takes a little longer, but you don't go back in there for the same issue. And I warranty my work. There have been two instances in the last 10 years where I've had to go back into a job that I completed. Both times turned out to be defective parts. Made me feel better, even though I still ate the labour on the second time around.

Thanks for the insight. Work hard, stay safe.

I'd say you walked the gamut on this one. You clearly have experience smashing you frozen knuckles up. God bless you for that. Sell it and get something else. I personally could not go to work in the conditions that you work in with a service truck that would most likely need repairs just for me to get there.

You are stuck in a conundrum my friend. All I can say is my next Labatt Blue is for you.

If you narrow it down to something more specific let me know. I will do what I can to help you out.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Sell it and get something else. I personally could not go to work in the conditions that you work in with a service truck that would most likely need repairs just for me to get there.
I'll second that! There comes a time where doing the same thing over and over, (repairing the same piece of Junque), with negative results should make you try something else I would think.

chaikwa.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Why not just drop a Cummins in?

Am I missing something?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 AM

Well, as a truck. The truck is solid, far more so than a comparable ( 5500 ) dodge product. The front end feels more planted on the road for some reason ( wonder what reason ) I am not knocking the dodge, in fact I am looking at specs and price on one here now, but I am also keeping my eyes open as to what else is available.

As for the ford, there is a point where it isn't worth keeping anymore, and I have reached that point. Perhaps if it were an extended or crew cab, I would take the time and money to drop a cummins into it, however, it isn't. So, I am going to look into something with either a little more cab room, or a longer cab to axle centerline so that I can add more box space in front of the crane.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:18 PM

Our shop (heavy equipment rental shop) has mostly a fleet of F550s and one GMC 5500. I'm not a field guy but I have spent some time in the seat of them and mon field calls. I think the Ford is a better truck overall except the engine. The 02 F550 we have has had a several engines replaced, injectors etc etc. The 03 6.0PSD has been the same way and is the most God awful truck I've ever driven (hint, you cannot lug a 6.0PSD 6spd at ALL, gotta wind er' up to make it move). The 07' F550 has been pretty solid so far, no major repairs yet, though I'm waiting for the day that it randomly croaks.

From what you've stated, I vote that you got a lemon. The 7.3 wasn't that bad of an engine. I take it your a contractor? I'm curious, who do you do a lot of work for? More mining or forestry? I'm kinda looking at this route down the road, its expensive to get into though. PM me if you want.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:22 AM

THATS CRAZY!!

I have had one 97 7.3, two 2002's and one 2003 7.3

Not one of them I had a single problem out of!!One of these was behind a 6 speed in a Cab and Chassis f-350, run hard and put up wet.

You have a lemon?!????

The lowest MPG i ever recorded in any of my 7.3's was 7 mpg pulling 17,000 behind the 03 with a superchips programmer. Usually towing was around 10

I feel for you!! the truck is solid...but your 7.3 is a nasty lemon....drop a 12v in or or something?