General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

MPG Diesel vs. Gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPG Diesel vs. Gas

Ok I'm curious as to how the mpg of a diesel truck would compart to a comparable sized gasoline engine truck? I'm know this forum may be a little biased towards diesel but seriously....thoughts???
Old 09-12-2010, 07:22 AM

when i was looking at my truck i test drove a hemi 2500. i know the overheads arent that accurate but it was reading 8mpg when i got back to the dealer and that was with the salesmen with me so i couldn't totally thrash the truck. i have never gotten anything lower than 13mpg with my diesel and that was hauling a 4 place snow sled trailer with 4 sleds on it and one in the back of the truck 4 guys and gear. i was driving like an Edit passing on truck lanes and driving it hard. dont think a gasser could have touched the mpgs or the speed i was maintaining.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:27 AM

That depends a lot on what you use your truck for. If you just tool around town, then the gas trucks are getting better and better mileage every day. Couple that with gas being cheaper, and not having to pay a premium extra for the gas engine, then it is a no brainer that the gas truck is cheaper to own. That doesn't even include the maintenance costs. Of course, the diesel will outlast the gas engine, unless you don't plan to drive the truck for 500,000 miles.
If you tow, though, then the diesel will perform better, and get better mileage. This factor depends heavily, though, on how much you tow, and how heavy.
So, I would sum it up like this- if you tow often and heavy, you can justify the diesel. If you don't. then the gas engine will be cheaper to own. My 2 cents. I am sure you will get lots of opinions.
How do I apply this question to myself? I love my 12 valve. And, at the price I got it, it was easy to justify. But, for what I use it for, if I needed to replace it and were looking at new trucks, I could buy a gas engine truck and run it for considerably less than a diesel, which is what I would do.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tacomaman87
when i was looking at my truck i test drove a hemi 2500. i know the overheads arent that accurate but it was reading 8mpg when i got back to the dealer and that was with the salesmen with me so i couldn't totally thrash the truck. i have never gotten anything lower than 13mpg with my diesel and that was hauling a 4 place snow sled trailer with 4 sleds on it and one in the back of the truck 4 guys and gear. i was driving like an Edit passing on truck lanes and driving it hard. dont think a gasser could have touched the mpgs or the speed i was maintaining.
For comparison, I had an 04 Ford E-350 work van, with the 5.4 liter engine. That thing ran like a scalded dog, and I averaged around 14 out of it. I had it loaded with tools and supplies, and it weighed around 7000 pounds. Taking it easy on interstate, I got 17 mpg out of it. So, a Superduty 250, with the 5.4 and a 6 speed, would not be a bad pulling truck, and would get comparable mileage to a current diesel. The gas would be less, and there would be no $7000 tacked on to the price for the diesel engine. It wouldn't tow like a diesel, but for what I use a truck for, it would be more than sufficient.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only other six cylinder pickup that I owned that would get even get close the mileage of my Cummins was a 1990 Ford Ranger Supercab with the 4.0L V6 and a 3.08 rear axle.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on what you use the truck for. If you tow heavy or work the truck hard, diesel will get better mileage. If you don't work the truck or really need a diesel, get a gasser.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:02 AM

There is simply no comparison...

I have a bone stock 2006 Ram 1500 Mega Cab 4x4; for those that are unfamiliar, a 1500 Mega Cab is a 2500 Mega Cab with a softer rear spring and lower vehicle rating. The truck weighs 6300 pounds. At best, on the highway, the truck will get 15.6mpg as long as there is not a head wind... I drove it on the highway in a stiff headwind and not only did the truck struggle to maintain speed in OD, it was getting around 11.8mpg. I drive the speed limit and use cruise control when I'm on the super slab. In city/combined driving the truck struggles to do much more than 13.4mpg, the more city(think a stop light or stop sign every mile) driving, the lower that number gets; as low as 12.6mpg or so. I do not flat foot the gas pedal and drive much more reasonably than I ever do in my Cummins.

My Cummins, which is admittedly a lighter vehicle and has well over twice the wheel horsepower output of my Hemi, never struggles to maintain speed and on the same city/combined routes gets in the 16's for mpg and I do not baby that truck, I will hot rod the **** out of it routinely. On a pure highway run she will pull 18-19mpg and maintains speed up the biggest of terrain.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My best friends brother owns a 2008 1500 quad cab with a Hemi under the hood. He sees 20-22mpg around town if driving sensible and 8mpg towing. All hand calculated and kept track of on computer as it is the only gas truck in their company.
My Friend and his dad both own 2005 Dodge 3500 Diesels with 3.73 gearing and both see 15-6mpg on average and close to 8mpg towing.

Now their only complaint with the 1500 is when they tow their equipment around weighing close to 8000lbs the 1500 will squat to much and therefor have poor handling compared to the two diesels, Which both are heavier duty trucks.

When they compare the cost of every day running of their three trucks the 1500 hands down is the most cost effective vehicle in the fleet. This is against what the two guys who drive diesels wanted to hear. When they come up for a new trucks they are considering a 2500 gas job.

As for how many miles you can put on a gas engine nowadays, well here in the oilfield we are seeing comparable numbers of milage between gas and diesel trucks before they are trashed. The old argument of Diesel lives longer then gas is an old but untrue reality of life that we in the diesel field need to come to terms with. Yes their are many diesels out there tha run very long miles, but their are equally many gas engines hat run the same miles, go ask farmers.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 03 ant a hemi
My best friends brother owns a 2008 1500 quad cab with a Hemi under the hood. He sees 20-22mpg around town if driving sensible and 8mpg towing. All hand calculated and kept track of on computer as it is the only gas truck in their company.
My Friend and his dad both own 2005 Dodge 3500 Diesels with 3.73 gearing and both see 15-6mpg on average and close to 8mpg towing.

Now their only complaint with the 1500 is when they tow their equipment around weighing close to 8000lbs the 1500 will squat to much and therefor have poor handling compared to the two diesels, Which both are heavier duty trucks.

When they compare the cost of every day running of their three trucks the 1500 hands down is the most cost effective vehicle in the fleet. This is against what the two guys who drive diesels wanted to hear. When they come up for a new trucks they are considering a 2500 gas job.

As for how many miles you can put on a gas engine nowadays, well here in the oilfield we are seeing comparable numbers of milage between gas and diesel trucks before they are trashed. The old argument of Diesel lives longer then gas is an old but untrue reality of life that we in the diesel field need to come to terms with. Yes their are many diesels out there tha run very long miles, but their are equally many gas engines hat run the same miles, go ask farmers.
Respectfully, I have to disagree with your last paragraph. I do agree that todays gas engines are lasting much longer. But, I think that it is a still a stretch for a gas engine to go 200,000 or 250,000 miles, while the typical diesel can double that if cared for, and more. Perhaps when comparing apples to apples in your application, and both types are being beaten on, they are lasting the same. But in many instances, a gas engine just isn't built as heavy or able to handle the miles and stress like a diesel engine does.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig
Ok I'm curious as to how the mpg of a diesel truck would compart to a comparable sized gasoline engine truck? I'm know this forum may be a little biased towards diesel but seriously....thoughts???
Maybe you should clarify what you are asking- gas vs diesel in general, or Mopar gas vs. Mopar diesel?
I know that the hemi isn't very thrifty, but not all V-8 gas engines are getting bad mileage.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
There is simply no comparison...

I have a bone stock 2006 Ram 1500 Mega Cab 4x4; for those that are unfamiliar, a 1500 Mega Cab is a 2500 Mega Cab with a softer rear spring and lower vehicle rating. The truck weighs 6300 pounds. At best, on the highway, the truck will get 15.6mpg as long as there is not a head wind... I drove it on the highway in a stiff headwind and not only did the truck struggle to maintain speed in OD, it was getting around 11.8mpg. I drive the speed limit and use cruise control when I'm on the super slab. In city/combined driving the truck struggles to do much more than 13.4mpg, the more city(think a stop light or stop sign every mile) driving, the lower that number gets; as low as 12.6mpg or so. I do not flat foot the gas pedal and drive much more reasonably than I ever do in my Cummins.

My Cummins, which is admittedly a lighter vehicle and has well over twice the wheel horsepower output of my Hemi, never struggles to maintain speed and on the same city/combined routes gets in the 16's for mpg and I do not baby that truck, I will hot rod the **** out of it routinely. On a pure highway run she will pull 18-19mpg and maintains speed up the biggest of terrain.
I missed something somewhere . The Hemi has 345 hp . Your Cummins has over 700 hp ?
Old 09-12-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can compare the HP/Torque numbers. That only tells half the story. The the torque curve of a diesel is far superior to that of a coparable gas engine.

You can compare the Weight capacity. But, due to the torque output of a diesel, that's why a diesel equipped truck will have more capacity. Having said that, the brakes and axle capacities will be the same, and the biggest limiter.

I have to say that I have driven both, with very similar loads. The diesel just makes towing fun!

Tony
Old 09-12-2010, 10:09 PM

I had an 03 RC/SB 2wd Hemi and it got about 13 in town and 17 hwy. Compared to my 08 Cummins that gets 17 in town and low 20 on the hwy.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:14 PM

Stock vs. stock, 2010 vs. 2010, Hemi vs. Cummins... I can tell you this they get about the same in town mileage. I own both
Old 09-12-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hodge
Respectfully, I have to disagree with your last paragraph. I do agree that todays gas engines are lasting much longer. But, I think that it is a still a stretch for a gas engine to go 200,000 or 250,000 miles, while the typical diesel can double that if cared for, and more. Perhaps when comparing apples to apples in your application, and both types are being beaten on, they are lasting the same. But in many instances, a gas engine just isn't built as heavy or able to handle the miles and stress like a diesel engine does.
I have a chevy with a 6.0L gas engine in it and it has 380,000 kms or approx 237,000 miles . It is used in the oilfields daily and idles alot. Original engine and transmisssion still in it. I will try and get a look and see what the hours are on the truck, but Yes a gas can go 200,000 or more if taken care of.

Quick Reply: MPG Diesel vs. Gas