Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   May have found good a deal on a 2001..... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/may-have-found-good-deal-2001-a-175400/)

hablox 10-27-2007 11:23 AM

May have found a good deal on a 2001.....

Hello All,
I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while. I have several Ramchargers, but no diesel trucks. I have come across a 2001 SLT Lariat 4X4 short bed diesel 2500 with about 170,000 miles on it. I can get it for $6500.

The truck does not appear to have any major issues at this time. It is all original. There has never been any work performed on the automatic transmission, there have not been any fuel pumps replaced. It needs a brake job. No rust on the body.

The owner says that on occasion though, his TACH will go to Zero and he will get a TRANSMISSION light, but then it goes away. The engine remains running when the TACH goes to Zero and the transmission still works. All indications return to normal when the truck is shut down and restarted.

The truck will require some new tires and maybe shocks, and an alignment. It will also need an oil change and filter change along with a new fuel filter. The truck does not have any overheat problems, should have the hoses replaced and belts replaced.

What else should I be looking for that may be expensive to fix or replace? I know the truck is at that age and mileage where things begin to happen.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks great site..

powermad 10-27-2007 11:54 AM

find out what the code is. even though it goes away theres still high possability of the tranny failing. good deal if theres nothing wrong with the tranny and fuel system!

Tate 10-27-2007 02:17 PM

Sounds like it could be a cam sensor for the dead tach. For $6500, that sounds like a smokin' deal. Could part it out for atleast that much. Fuel pressure should be checked. A dead lift pump will push the VP44 ever closer to its demise. Treat those two pumps as maitenance items, don't be surprised when they fail. Wheel bearings on the front are expensive. Check for play when starting the brake job. Thats the ideal time to change them.

Box5 10-27-2007 04:40 PM

if no VP44 has been replaced, and it's the stock auto.... add 6k to the total price IMO...

hablox 10-27-2007 06:57 PM

thanks for the feedback..

96_12V 10-27-2007 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Box5 (Post 1761285)
if no VP44 has been replaced, and it's the stock auto.... add 6k to the total price IMO...

It's discouraging to have to say something like this...but in all truthfulness, it's true! A neighbor of mine bought thier '95 AT regular cab about two years ago for 5000, and less than six months later, the transmission dropped. Truck had around 155k miles. Transmission was around $3800 at an good local shop, for a rebuilt unit exchange.

Other than the VP-44 and lift pump, as well as the troublesome RE-47 transmission, these are good trucks. Just plan to have some extra $$$ around to keep it up. And be sure it's the truck you really want.

Welcome to the site - keep asking questions, we'll try to answer as honestly as we can.