Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Looking to get a diesel truck.. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/looking-get-diesel-truck-80175/)

Sublimize23 10-10-2005 09:42 PM

Looking to get a diesel truck..

Hi all, new here. In about a year or so, I'll be looking to buy a full-size diesel truck, and I have a couple questions.
1) The only thing I have to tow is a trailer that holds 3 dirt bikes, gear, etc. I've always loved trucks, and I am mostly going to use it as a daily driver, am I crazy?
2) I plan on getting a dually, because I love the way they look, and they have a much stronger rear end. is there anything I should know about?daily challenges, etc
3) I'm also looking at 1999-2000 Ford F-350's (yes, I admit it, I'm a Ford man..), what are the advantages of the ram with the cummins over the powerstroke?
4) what kind of highway MPG can I expect? for those in the DelMarVA region, what are you currently paying for diesel? one thing I like about diesel is that the price rarely fluctuates.
5) I've heard a lot about fuel gelling. what is done to prevent this? what happens when your fuel gels? what do you do when it happens? I'll be going to college in southern VA next fall, and that's when I plan on buying the truck. it doesn't get too cold down there, but there is the occasional snow.
6) I've been driving 5 spd for a while, and I'd like to keep it that way. Is there anything I should know about clutch/transmission wise? I've driven a few F-350's and chevy 3500's ( [yuk] ), but they were all auto.
7) finally, my budget is about $13,000, what year/model ram do you think I'd be able to afford? I'd like a laramie if possible.
thank you very much, and I eagerly await your reponses, and I will continue my own research.

drew03 10-10-2005 09:52 PM

1. Mine is primarily a daily driver,2.i would not recomend a dually unless you absolutly need it. 3. I have to admit i am also a ford man, around here the dodge dealers are willing to make a better deal. The dodges get better mileage than the fords. The cummins also will last longer 4. highway mpg i would say 20+ 5. The are fuel treatments to prevent gelling. 6. i would say standard is my choice over auto. 7. my girlfriend just bought a 01 w/ 60,000k for 16,000$
Anything else we can help you with just ask.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ticker-med.jpg
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...84BART-med.jpg [whistle]

Sublimize23 10-10-2005 10:04 PM

thanks for your response. I have my heart set on a dually, but that doesn't mean I don't like singles too. any reasons why you wouldn't reccomend a dually? I'll take them into consideration, but I really love the dually.

Sublimize23 10-10-2005 10:07 PM

thought of antoher question. what kind of police attention do you guys normally recieve driving trucks? I'm coming from a 2005 scion xB
I'm tired of getting pulled over and followed for nothing. I'd like my next vehicle to not attract so much attention.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ze23/bB805.jpg

drew03 10-10-2005 10:11 PM

its more of a hassle to go with oversized tires because you have to worry about clearence on the rear, and that is two more tires that you have to buy. I agree they do look nice, but I am glad i went with what i have. However if you were planning on doing some heavy towing i would say to go with a dually.

drew03 10-10-2005 10:13 PM

Knock on wood i have never been pulled over in my truck.

Sublimize23 10-10-2005 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by drew03
its more of a hassle to go with oversized tires because you have to worry about clearence on the rear, and that is two more tires that you have to buy. I agree they do look nice, but I am glad i went with what i have. However if you were planning on doing some heavy towing i would say to go with a dually.

I'm not really planning on it, but the possibility is always there I guess. I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it :D

drew03 10-10-2005 10:16 PM

yeah get what you want and you will be happy.

Sublimize23 10-10-2005 10:19 PM

Knock on wood i have never been pulled over in my truck.

good to know... I speed occasionally just like anyone else.. just so happens I appearently fit a certain profile. :rolleyes:

yeah get what you want and you will be happy.

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it.

Asher 10-10-2005 10:20 PM

If you are going from that to a dually, then you should start practising now. take two poles about 36" long and tape them to the back of your current ride sticking out on each side ;) . That should get you use to having the with of a dually. :)

Keep it stock looking and don't add any colored headlights (cop magnets).

CASMOKIN 10-10-2005 10:22 PM

Coming from a guy who had 9 inches of lift on a dually, its a pain in the a$$, never again. Tires cost toooooo much [yuk]

drew03 10-10-2005 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Asher
If you are going from that to a dually, then you should start practising now. take two poles about 36" long and tape them to the back of your current ride sticking out on each side ;) . That should get you use to having the with of a dually. :)

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Sublimize23 10-10-2005 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Asher

I've never actually been pulled over for the headlights, lol. I used to run parts for this summer job at a body shop I worked at, and I drove a newer chevy 3500 dually all day. I can handle it just fine. :cool: I will miss parking in tight parking spaces though. how do you guys handle parallel parking?

drew03 10-10-2005 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sublimize23
I've never actually been pulled over for the headlights, lol. I used to run parts for this summer job at a body shop I worked at, and I drove a newer chevy 3500 dually all day. I can handle it just fine. :cool: I will miss parking in tight parking spaces though. how do you guys handle parallel parking?

2 spaces [laugh]

Sublimize23 10-10-2005 10:40 PM

2 spaces [laugh]

haha! do the rams have an 8ft bed like the F-series?