General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Let's talk about CJ-4 Oil

Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by j-fox
I have an uncle who swore by rotella oil, said it was the best around.
I bought a chevy 350 from him that had used rotella, and when we pulled the valvecovers, we were shocked by the build up of sludge. I could not see where the oil was draining to the pan!!!

Well in that case, I guess around half the members of this website, including me, have sludgy, gummed up, engines. Because, I have noticed in several of the oil war threads/polls....Shell Rotella 15w40 was the top choice. Shell Rotella usually has around 45-50 percent of the total with ALL of the others, including the synthetics, sharing the rest.

There are many million mile diesel engines out there in America running on Rotella. I don't doubt that the other brands are great too. But, there may be more to that story than we are hearing here.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TXTad
Maybe I should start another thread on this, but, what's everyone's concern about the CJ-4 oil?
If you read the back of a jug of Rotella oil you can see where they say depending on what fuel you use LSD or ULSD will effect your oil drain intervals. So as I understand it using LSD will shorten drain intervals when you use it in your engine, as I think the higher sulfur interferes with the oil some how and allows it to break down sooner. FYI, On road LSD can be made and sold until 2010.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the latest Rotella CJ-4 15W-40 UOA on BITOG. Can't wait to see more UOA's on the CJ-4 formulations.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:23 PM

Avoid the new CJ-4 Engine Oil!

For the first time in modern history, the lattest diesel engine Oil Classification is NOT 'Backward Compatible'.
The rating is CJ-4, and the lattest is not the greatest. 07's may have to run it...not really sure, but 06's and earlier should stay away from using CJ-4 due to excessive wear to internal moving parts.

The reason - The govt in mandating catalytic converters, which appear to be unable to handle 'ZDDP' in the exhaust (a point not really proven yet!). ZDDP is a form of Zinc and is a strong, fairly inexpensive, anti wear additive that has been added to engine oils for years. Also reduced in CJ-4 is the allowable levels of calcium & phosphorous. CJ-4 must have a TBN no higher than 9, where 12 has been the norm for years. TBN # is a measure of the ability of an oil to neutralize acids formed during engine operation.

With CJ-4 in earlier diesels, premature bearing wear is showing up as early as 10,000 miles... according to a Techni-Gram I received from Lubrizol Additive Company.

This warning also applies to classification SM...for gas engines. Serious wear is showing up in race cars because...
"most all of the majors, including those who produce private label engine oils for companies such as for auto parts stores, have changed their formulas to meet SM specs."

So check labels on any oil your use to buying. Avoid CJ-4 rated oils till the facts are known, unless you have an 07 vehicle. I have not seen a virgin oil analysis on these new oils, which would verify the lower levels of zinc, calcium & phosphorous.. as well as a lowered TBN #, but until harder evidence shows up, I'm sticking with the specialty lubrication companies that are ignoring the new API classification in many of their formulas.... Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc. And be sure to read/ask about classifications before you buy.

Above is my informed opinion from being involved in the oil manufacturing industry for 11 yrs and the best data I can find...so far!

RJ
Old 06-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Thanks for the heads up RJ, thats good info!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:58 PM

Thumbs up

A buddy of mine and I were talking about this just yesterday and neither of us had a clue. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Banned

great i just did an oil change. looked on the bootle, guess what i see. owell

thanks for bringing this to my attention. i guess ill look at the bottle next time i get oil..
Old 06-12-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Rowland-- any suggestions where someone can find off-the-shelf oil that's not watered down to meet the new spec?

I'd hate to have to keep mail-ordering all my oil. Ah, the good old days back when even Delo 400 off the shelf was great stuff!

Would this be a good time to revive the dead horse of Amsoil vs API certification?? HAHAHA!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:03 PM

Rowland, where did you get the info? I would like to take a copy to my O'Reilly auto store. Really great guys and VERY knowledgeable.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jon
Old 06-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Banned

since i just changed it last week with the new stuff, guess i'll be doing it again. there goes $40 bucks.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:05 PM

So far, my oil analysis is right in line with the CH-CI oils.

Once it's approved. I'll post a screen shot of my analysis and history.

Tony
Old 06-12-2007, 06:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't get too alarmed with the new CJ oils. May just have to change the oil more often compared to the older oils due to the lower TBN.

MikeyB
Old 06-12-2007, 06:21 PM

They claim that if you burn ULSD the CJ-4 oil should hold up just as well as as the CI-4+ oil does and if you use LSD then you need to shorten the OCI 50%. But from what I've read from some 6.7 owners is that the oil change light comes on between 2800 and 3500 miles so it doesn't look likes its all that great of and oil or oil standard. I've also heard of some farmers no longer liking Rotella oil and wonder if they got some of the new CJ-4 oil with out knowing it and that is why they think is sucks.

All I can say is that I will keep on using Amsoil in my truck so that I know the oil will hold up and last longer then 3500 miles.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:58 PM

The "Big R" store took my pallet of CJ oil back and replaced it with older CI. No problem.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:09 PM

What do you all think about Amsoil's 5W40 diesel oil then?
TBN:8

AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil (DEO)
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil (DEO) is the premium choice diesel oil for model year 2007 and newer heavy-duty and pickup truck diesel engines requiring API CJ-4 emission quality oil standards.

See Pricing Information or Place an Order

Package sizes include:

1-Quart Bottle
1-Quart Bottles (case of 12)
1-Gallon Bottle
1-Gallon Bottles (case of 4)
30-Gallon Drum
55-Gallon Drum

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 (DEO) is the premium choice for API CJ-4 emission quality diesel oil required by model year 2007 and newer diesel engines. It delivers extraordinary lubrication in diesel engines found in commercial, fleet and personal vehicles. Built with the latest additive and synthetic base oil technology, AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Oil exceeds the higher performance demands of modern engines. It withstands the stress of heat, soot and acids to help prevent deposits, corrosion and wear. AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40, with its broad viscosity range, is ideal for winter and summer use. It resists breakdown and can extend drain intervals when monitored by oil analysis.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let's talk about CJ-4 Oil