General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Let's talk about CJ-4 Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Don M
Its better than fine and since you change @ 5K the lower TBN will matter not.

Lubrizol got the additives correct. Keep using Rotella and never look back.

If you go to extended drains, the TBN becomes more important, IMO.

Over a year ago the the Cummins M-11 test was replaced with the Cummins ISB and ISM valvetrain tests. They are tougher to pass and harder on oil wear rates. The CJ4 API oils pass with flying colors. Rotella is one of the better ones. Isodewaxed or not, it is great oil. Use it and forget it.
Don,

Why don't you just use Amsoil so you can change the oil every 70,000 miles?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by HiPerf360
Don,

Why don't you just use Amsoil so you can change the oil every 70,000 miles?
Care to elaborate as to how you can change the oil at 70K intervals. I really want to hear this.

Do you recommend oil analysis in order to extend oil changes to 70k miles? What about bypass filtration?

Your above statement was vague.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:04 PM

I have used the new CJ-4 Rotella for the last two oil changes but I change every 5k also. No difference in the running of my truck either. Shell has a great website for Rotella that has a lot of info on it. It is however designed for the '07 vehicles but is recommended for all diesels due to the low ash formula. They say that it will keep the soot down in your engine. I only burn ULSD and it does seem my oil stays cleaner but it is only on 5k miles. I am changing to Royal Purple at 15k miles so don't know how Rotella CJ-4 will hold up. According to Shell they have been testing it for well over 1 million miles in heavy use situations.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:03 PM

I see very little benefit (if any) in using CJ-4 oil in a pre 07 emission engine.
CJ-5 versus CI-4+
higher cost
Lower TBN
Lower ZDP (antiscuff additive)
Lower sulfated ash
Increased soot handling (the only true benefit)
Extended drain interval not recommended
Old 02-24-2007, 11:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fueling around
I see very little benefit (if any) in using CJ-4 oil in a pre 07 emission engine.
CJ-5 versus CI-4+
higher cost
Lower TBN
Lower ZDP (antiscuff additive)
Lower sulfated ash
Increased soot handling (the only true benefit)
Extended drain interval not recommended

Fueling, I expect that we won't have a choice in the near future. We will prob have to use the CJ4 stuff whether we want to or not. I am not sure there is a benefit for us pre 07 guys either.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:40 AM

CI-4+ oil will stay until around 2011 when all fuel is ULS. Only on-road had to go ULS for 2007
Old 02-25-2007, 10:05 AM

Well as an Ag mechanic I HATE working on diesel engines that have run Rotella in them... They are so gummed up and nasty it isn't even funny. I personally run Farm-Oyl in all our tractors and even my personal truck (we get it in bulk).
Old 02-25-2007, 02:14 PM

CI-4 oil is not going to be around for much longer , Valvoline already started dropping off CI-4 oil and using CJ-4 with the same part number as it was for CI-4
Old 02-25-2007, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ckt_santiago
Well as an Ag mechanic I HATE working on diesel engines that have run Rotella in them... They are so gummed up and nasty it isn't even funny. I personally run Farm-Oyl in all our tractors and even my personal truck (we get it in bulk).
I have an uncle who swore by rotella oil, said it was the best around.
I bought a chevy 350 from him that had used rotella, and when we pulled the valvecovers, we were shocked by the build up of sludge. I could not see where the oil was draining to the pan!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Napa Brand Oil Is Made By Vavoline And I Use Either Or And You Will Find No Sludge Or Worn Out Parts When You Open Up The Engine .
I Change Religiuosly Every 3k Miles And My 2000 Runs Like A Bat-outa-hell .
Old 02-25-2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by BaldHog
CI-4 oil is not going to be around for much longer , Valvoline already started dropping off CI-4 oil and using CJ-4 with the same part number as it was for CI-4
Many brands are doing this including Delo. If a store only stocks 1 type of diesel oil it will need to be CJ-4.
Chevron told us CI-4 would be around until LSD diesel is gone.

I did think of a pre 07 application where CJ-4 might be a benefit. Any engine with EGR.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:07 PM

Maybe I should start another thread on this, but, what's everyone's concern about the CJ-4 oil?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by TXTad
Maybe I should start another thread on this, but, what's everyone's concern about the CJ-4 oil?
I think it more hovers around confusion than concern.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by j-fox
I have an uncle who swore by Rotella oil, said it was the best around.
I bought a Chevy 350 from him that had used Rotella, and when we pulled the valve covers, we were shocked by the build up of sludge. I could not see where the oil was draining to the pan!!!
Exactly... Didn't know it did it to gassers too; Penzoil was the one that I knew that does that to gas engines.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by j-fox
I have an uncle who swore by rotella oil, said it was the best around.
I bought a chevy 350 from him that had used rotella, and when we pulled the valvecovers, we were shocked by the build up of sludge. I could not see where the oil was draining to the pan!!!
I wonder if that sort of stuff has more to do with oil change intervals than with the particular brand of oil being used. The reason that I say that is I had an 85 F-150 with the old I-6 that I drove to 165,000 miles. I started running Rotella at some point around 80K miles. I pulled the valve cover once at around 125,000 or so to adjust the valves and it was squeaky clean inside, as was the area under the lifter covers. I did see the inside of a Chevy 350 that had been run with Pennzoil and it had a brick of what looked like coal in the lifter gallery, but I suspected that the engine had seen intermittent maintenance.

Tad

Quick Reply: Let's talk about CJ-4 Oil