Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Just Wondering.......... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/just-wondering-19567/)

Mopar_Mudder 10-31-2002 03:34 PM

Just Wondering..........

I read alot of post on here about people going to get this that and the next thing installed on their trucks. Is their anyone here that actualy does their own work and installs on their trucks? Personaly I try to do everything my self, can't think of anything other then the Rhino Linning that I wouldn't do myself. If I do the work I can trust it and know who to blame if something does go wrong.

admin 10-31-2002 03:36 PM

Re:Just Wondering..........

I've done about half and half. I've done the easy stuff, while vendors have done things like my tranny. There are a TON of guys here though that do install their own stuff. I know at many of the events and rallys, guys have install parties. Pretty cool stuff.

CMN_NOT_STROKN 10-31-2002 04:17 PM

I install everything myself. Well I take that back. I did just have someone install my 5er hitch. But he only charged me $100 to do it. So I said...GO RIGHT AHEAD! They were the ones that put my flatbed on and couldn't have been better to me. The only problem is the hitch sits up too high. I'm taking it back to them to have them cut up the bed and mount the hitch ON the frame.

Superduty12v 10-31-2002 04:25 PM

I do it all myself. I did my 6-speed conversion in my `96 12v and I made my own propane injection setup. Pump adjustments, etc.

BigBlue 10-31-2002 04:52 PM

Everything but the tires and bed liner. Dad wouldn't let me install the speakes and stereo so I can't be blamed for that.

10-31-2002 06:24 PM

I do all my own serviceing and Black Mtn diesel does all the power performance projects

DPG 10-31-2002 06:43 PM

I installed my gauges (pyro, trans temp, boost, and fuel pressure) the BHAF, and I do my own lube and oil, fuel filters, etc. But the "heavy" stuff I have to have my mechanic buddy help with. After hanging around here for the past year and a half, I'm learning more and more.

JHansen 10-31-2002 07:27 PM

Pretty much all myself-the dealership installed the stainless rocker moldings, wheel opening moldings and running boards to keep the rock chips off.......and have done the warranty work. The rest I've done-from the injectors and clutch to the rest of the dressup toys......I'm too cheap to pay somebody to do it all! :P<br><br>Jason<br>

NWDave 10-31-2002 08:47 PM

Alot of areas have small groups of CTD owners who get together periodically. In the Pacific Northwest, I belong to another online group called &quot;Northwest Bombers&quot; (Anyone interested can check us out at www.nwbombers.com.) We have get togethers about every 2-3 weeks called BOMB parties where projects are taken care of. These guys are something else. It doesn't matter the experience level, you can at least hold a flashlight. I've seen injector swapouts, Gauge installations, oil changes, fuel filter changes, just all types of things happening. Our next get together is now working up a project list. Looks rather extensive. Perhaps you have something similiar in your neck of the woods. <br><br>~Dave

Dieseldude4x4 10-31-2002 11:58 PM

My current truck has never been back to the dealer since I drove it off the lot with 6 miles on it in January of 99. This is my third Dodge diesel and the only thing that ever went back to the shop was my 95 when it had a fuel injector pump problem and was under warranty. I buy the Chrysler manuals the day I buy the truck and do all my own work. You can see what mods I have made to this one below.<br>Oops, I lied. It (my 99) has been back to the dealer once to have them install the running boards and only then because Chrysler had a medical rebate going on the boards. I paid around $900 to have them installed and because my wife has arthritis, Chrysler sent me back over $600 of that, almost $700. My son and a friend at work are the only other people to drive this one since new. <br>I had my 89 for just short of 10 years and the only time it ever went back was right after I bought it to have the brakes replaced. Some idiot had gotten it stuck on a test drive and got mud all around the front calipers and ruined the pads.<br>If I need a tool to do work, I buy it and do the work.

DarrellB 11-01-2002 12:46 AM

My father died when I was 12 from Emphasima (spelling) and I didn't really have anybody to teach me how to work on vehicles. :( I also don't have a whole lot of tools either (always buying more though) and I just now built a nice heated shop to work in.<br><br>But you know what, I try to do everything myself. I've done all the performance stuff myself except the injectors. (didn't know it was so simple) I put the nerf bars on myself, the stainless steel rocker panels, installed the toolbox, new Bilstein shocks, rotate my own tires, change my own oil and fuel filter, flush the coolant, replaced the overhead console when it went bad, installed my LightForce lights, installed a new CD player, and replaced the boost/map sensor when that junk K&amp;N filter F'd it up. I think that's pretty good for a self tought weekender. 8)<br><br>The next big step is the clutch but I'm having Black Mountain Diesel take care of it. I would much rather someone that knows what they are doing do the install. That way if something happens I'll be beating down Tom's door instead of beating myself in the head. :)<br><br>I think most of use try to do what we can, it's just some of us aren't that good of grease monkeys, but I'm getting better. I've even done some gauge installs for a few friends, and even an injector install last week. 8)<br><br>Darrell

hellotbone 11-01-2002 06:18 AM

Do everything myself! Easier that way if something goes wrong you know how to work on it!

TPilaske 11-01-2002 06:51 AM

I've done all my stuff myself so far! The only exception will be my tranny mods, i'll pass on that! ;D<br><br>Tony

Timinva 11-01-2002 09:16 AM

I have done it all myself. Gauges, exhaust, injectors even the tranny upgrades. I was a little nervous going in the tranny drums, but it was straight forward and Dave Goerend gave me his home # if I had problems. I love to work on these trucks and help my friends when they upgrade. The least favorite thing is wiring, it is not hard but tedious to make it look factory. Tim

Scotty 11-01-2002 09:49 AM

Mostly myself or helped on others or assisted others on mine...for example, when doing the clutch a friend of mine with a local shop wanted to tackle it to learn how to do the bigger trucks. Well, their tranny jack was not strong enough so I put the tranny and transer case on my right shoulder and walked it into position for them to bolt up while they were all standing there pondering on how to get it hooked up. :)<br><br>Good thing the hoist was just the right height because I doubt I could've stood up on my toes any further. :'(<br><br>EH