General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.
View Poll Results: Based on your experience, would you buy another Dodge?
Yes
92.54%
No
7.46%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

How many of you all won't buy another Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow i cant belive people would say no, o well i guess the tables could turn anyday, as far as i go, always dodge always diesel! but w/ no lie i still like the duramaxes and powerstrokes!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other then the rough ride, bad steering unit, low quality ball joints, bad track bar, VP44, LP, and weak tranny, its a great truck. I suppose if the front end is better on the newer ones I may consider. Otherwise never again. A person should not have to be a mechanic doing repairs on a 34k truck under 150k. How such a tough engine could be wrapped with something so prone to repairs is very ironic.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Banned

I'd Rather walk than drive anything else.. But I won't own an 07 emission crap filled one..

Shane
Old 04-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Holsteinman
If it's that bad get rid of it and buy a Chevy that you think is so great.
If I could afford one I would. I've been around chevy's all of my life and since 1985 we've owned 3 suburbans, 3 pick ups (2 diesels), and a corvette. All of them combined haven't been in the shop as much as mine and all have been taken well over 100k miles except the vette, it's only at 52k and the current dmax is at 80k some odd. My truck has been a good truck but considering the age of it it should have held up better than it has. I'm sorry I don't go with the mainstream crowd and say I would but this is just the way I feel.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:50 AM

I am 67 yrs old. When I was a kid, I ran Pontiacs.Later I had Fords,VW's,Dodges,Toyotas,Jeeps,Audis,Subarus,Inte rnationals-you name it.I've owned Ford, Dodge,Jeep, International trucks.I haven't owned a Chevy but have worked on lots of buddies Chevies.I have never really had a lemon so I'm not soured on any brand.I have found, no matter what I had, if I took decent care of it, it gave me good service.I think the older Fords and Chevy trucks were nice looking and the Dodge was ugly.For me, that all changed in '94 when Dodge came out with the present design.I think it's the most attractive truck out there and mechanically it's no worse than any of the others.Shocks,brakes,tires,belts,hoses,electronics eventually wear out, but the way a vehicle is used can certainly speed up that wear.So as long as Dodge makes a decent looking truck, I will continue to own one.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Banned

If I had used my truck for work, or drove it every single day, or abused the everliving snot out of it I would probably have looked at some of the repairs different. But the fact that I drove my truck maybe 8 to 9K miles per year and never drove it in the snow or rain.....having to constantly fix stuff on it got old real quick. As far as the motor goes I LOVED IT and never had one single complaint about the Cummins.

Maybe me and Tyler just got lemons, but having a truck that is only 6 years old with less than 100K miles....I'd expect it to hold together a little better. Maybe our expectations are a little to high Tyler....................

~Nick
Old 04-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Banned

Either they are a little to high or maybe we are just realists but I fully expect a vehicle that has been taken care of to easily last over 100k miles without all this little piddly stuff going wrong. I can say that huge major things haven't happened and for that I'm happy but all of this little nickel and dime stuff is down right irritating.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll never go back to gas. This is my first experience with diesel and Dodge. I love them both.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Either they are a little to high or maybe we are just realists but I fully expect a vehicle that has been taken care of to easily last over 100k miles without all this little piddly stuff going wrong. I can say that huge major things haven't happened and for that I'm happy but all of this little nickel and dime stuff is down right irritating.

EXACTLY!! It's pretty bad when you drive to town and go to roll up your window and..........it won't roll up! Talk about imbarrassing having to turn around and drive back home because I can't roll up my window to leave it in a parking lot. That happened to me twice

Or I was driving home one night and my dash lights just up and quit working. On top of that I got pulled over for going to fast because I couldn't read my speedo.....got a defective equipment ticket because of it.

It's just stuff like that that irritated the snot out of me.......

~Nick
Old 04-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

I wouldn't buy a NEW Dodge or any from a dealer after seeing how bad there customer service is. They don't know anything about the vehicles, and they couldn't even read a part scematic to get a part on a transfercase, it's like they weren't even trying to help and I was buying somthing. They don't have a transmission tech either and it's a big dealer... I wouldn't want to deal with that on a new truck. But back on topic,

I would buy another 12v cummins in a heartbeat, theres nothing like it. great milage, power, reliabilty, not to mention the sound...
Old 04-10-2007, 11:46 AM

Like the Cummins...lot of fun...but this will be my one and only diesel.
IF I buy another pick up...it will be the new Tundra 5.7...an awesome truck...if you don't absolutey need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:53 AM

You see the second truck in my signature? There's a reason. I have had nothing but problems with the piece of junk wrapped around my cummins engine. The dana axle that dodge decided needed a pile of CAD, the track bar, the 47re trans, the front bumper on these things isn't as strong as the fender on my 78 chevy. If I can't sell this pile soon, I am thinking about just putting the cummins in the chevy with a manual behind it.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will NEVER buy daily driver vechicle thats not American.
I can tell you that, thats why all of the big 3 are sucking it up,
Americans buying foreign vechicles.

And why would anyone think of getting a PSD or a DMX?
You guys are getting a little soft around the edges,
Any truck you drive, is going to have problems.
That is always true.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Heck ya!

(Now I double-dare you to go post the poll "Will you ever buy another Ford?" over at the Diesel Stop)
Old 04-10-2007, 12:13 PM

I would buy another. I'm waiting to see what happens in say.. 2010... with the new small Cummins motors.

Quick Reply: How many of you all won't buy another Dodge?