General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.
View Poll Results: Based on your experience, would you buy another Dodge?
Yes
92.54%
No
7.46%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

How many of you all won't buy another Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think some of the injector problems are related to the fuel and fuel filters being used. In June of 06 Cummins went to a 7 micron fuel filter and yet many company's were still selling 10 micron filters in late 2007. Also not all fuel filters are good at stripping water out of diesel as well as the Fleetguard Stratapore or Baldwin. The only filter I know of that is better then the Fleetguard and still fit in the factory fuel housing is the Baldwin PF 7977.

FYI the Fleetguard fuel filter is 96% efficient at 5 microns. Baldwin PF7977 is nominal at 2 microns and absolute at 5 microns and it has a 24gr dirt holding capacity that is 10gr more then what the Fleetguard holds. The Wix 33585XE is nominal at 7 microns and the 33585 is nominal at 10 microns. Donaldson P550785 is absolute at 10 microns. BTW, Absolute is 98.7% efficiency and nominal is 50% efficiency.

So you can see if you use the wrong filter it can lead to injector problems from water and dirt in your fuel.

The above fuel filter information was made possible by a lot of research from ah64id.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by user928
I will never own another dodge god willing I had a 2008 dodge ram 2500 Laramie mega cab 4x4 with all the options 6speed automatic and the 6.7 Cummins. I had it a total of 2 weeks 1700 miles and had the engine light come on and a severe knocking I took it in and they couldn’t find the problem they wanted to replace it but I traded it for an 07 Chevy 2500 hd the duramax is so nice compared makes the Cummins seem archaic its quiet pulls better off the line is faster up hills and the rides great on the highway loaded heavy its so much nicer to drive the transmission is 100x better as well the build quality is good and lots of options u need in a good truck. So this is an appeal from someone who listened to all his family that had dodges and told him he had to have dodge! DONT it’s a huge mistake they just want u to suffer their fate and everyone tells me how great the Cummins is well so far ill give in to the fact that it lasts a long time and its good mpg wise but if u need power for towing not just low end! or quiet operations that won’t exhaust u after the drive or pure speed get the duramax, I smoke 5.9 and 6.7 all day loaded with more weight all my cousins hate me but guess what I’ve converted 2 of 7 by next year probably all be driving Chevy. So take if from someone who had 6 liter fords duramax and Cummins, duramax is what u want there’s just no compromise with Chevy its all done right.
You had one for 2 weeks and now your an expert on how bad dodges and cummins are? Give us all here a friggin' break! Go troll somewhere else...
Old 02-07-2008, 10:21 PM

Had the troll part right. Exactly 8 DAYS ago on another post this guy was asking about suggestions on buying a dodge since he never owned one before.

OH and yes I'm on my second Dodge CTD
Bill
Old 02-08-2008, 07:02 PM

that dudes is nuts......
Old 02-24-2008, 02:26 PM

I bought a new 94 w/a cummins ,Bombed it getting alot of power sure I knocked a couple of clutches & HG but it still runs great & bought a 98 12v
ext cab f/towing it'll run 5,000mi & not need any oil added it's stock & in 4yrs I've just done reg main to it.
I'm still on the fence about the 6.7
BUT know the older 5.9 are good!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:00 PM

When I first purchased my 06 Dodge, I couldnt have been happier. I loved the truck inside and out. 44K miles later, I wish I could say the same. I babied the crap out of that truck, never beat on it or raced it, only pulled a trailer a half dozen times, not even really heavy stuff, just normal loads. Never took it off road, used AMSOIL in almost every hole, made sure I kept a logbook of all maintenance done so I knew what was next and when and at 40K or so miles, the rearend starts going out. The ABS and brake light would go on and off while cruising down the hwy, speedometer would drop to zero and id lose my ABS brakes. The passenger side speaker quit working at just 15K miles. The drivers side front axle u-joint went at 38K miles and my dash started rattling at just 30K miles.

I have since sold the truck. And having said all that, I have to say no, I would not buy another NEW dodge. I took my truck to the dealer about the rearend and the u-joint and obviously they said they could not warranty it because my warranty ran out at 36K. Which I personally think is RIDICULOUS considering the warranty JUST expired and there is absolutely no reason why the rear end or u-joint should have went out at such low mileage. I even called Chrysler to try and explain the situation to them, again, nothing.

Perhaps, I bought a friday truck? I'll never know. But what I do know is, Chrysler has lost my business forever.

Some of you all might say "that is just part of owning a heavy-duty pickup, things are going to break" If I used the truck for "Heavy-Duty" work, then yes, I would expect that. But my truck was a pavement princess that cruised up and down the hwy everyday back and forth to work, never really saw a hard day of work in its life.

That is all.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deerefarm06
used AMSOIL in almost every hole
Hope you didn't use it in the Fuel Hole or the HOAT Hole...
Old 02-25-2008, 05:15 PM

I didnt but the Dodge for the Dodge. I bought a Drive train. Cummins power ( been driving cummins for 34yrs) new venture trans, and dana axles. I would have been happier if it had been in a Ford . I never was a fan of the IH V-8 and wouldnt own one. Ford would have been better off to utilize the IH inline six diesel. When the body rots off this dodge I may stick a Ford cab on it.