Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   How can I make my turbo louder?? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/how-can-i-make-my-turbo-louder-76213/)

LibertyCRD 08-26-2005 10:44 AM

How can I make my turbo louder??

Guys... I have a Jeep with the turbo-diesel. For those of you not familiar with it, the manufacturer is VM Motori, an Italian company owned by Detroit Diesel. It's a 2.8L inline-four turbo diesel. 16 valves and overhead cams. Company rates it at 174 horsepower and 302 lb./ft. of torque. It seems to be a good engine so far and I really love driving it.

Here's the thing...Jeep has gone out of their way to make it as quiet as possible for the U.S. market. I would really like to "open it up" and be able to hear the turbo whistle because...well...just because I think it's cool!

My Dad's Cummins sounds awesome, and I know you guys all have sweet sounding rigs. How could I make my turbo louder?? Are there any tricks to increasing the audible noise on these things??

Thanks in advance.

TAS05CTD610 08-26-2005 10:58 AM

Well if it has a silencer ring, pull that puppy out. Then if you have a stock air box open it up, or put on a after market air filter/intake. Also our trucks as others sometimes have an air muffler in the intake tube, this is designed to quiet the system down. Also if the air box has a intake going into a fender, take that off. They normally neck down to a very very small size hole. Try those. Won't be as loud as the cummins due to size, but you should hear it whine.

RowJ 08-26-2005 12:12 PM

The above suggestions will help a little...but our trucks, from the factory, are very quiet also.

Only true solution is ...add a bigger turbo!

RJ

Jim Lane 08-26-2005 09:44 PM

You could also get that little whistle that goes in the exhaust if it isn't loud enough.[laugh]

displacedtexan 08-27-2005 10:49 AM

Originally posted by rjohnson
The above suggestions will help a little...but our trucks, from the factory, are very quiet also.

Only true solution is ...add a bigger turbo!

RJ

Or add twins...

CarolinaThunder 08-28-2005 03:24 AM

I wonder how one of those lil suckers would sound straightpiped???

Deezle98 08-28-2005 12:56 PM

He already had it straight piped. He said it sounded like a john deer tractor diesel. But the ECM didnt like the new exhaust so it had to be put back on :( .

LibertyCRD 08-29-2005 06:36 AM

Yeah I straight piped it but as he said the computer threw all kinds of lights at me. So I'm going to wait for a performance exhaust system to be developed for it later.

I think I'll peek at the turbo and look for the silencer ring. And also the muffler that's in the intake tube. What would these look like? I want to know what to look for when I jerk the hoses off. I don't think I've ever seen a silencer ring or a intake tube muffler before.

LibertyCRD 08-30-2005 01:27 PM

OK nevermind, I found some pics of the silencer ring on the Cummins. I'll check as soon as this weather clears up from Katrina and see if my turbo has one of these also. I think my turbo is a Garrett. Hopefully it will have one so I can yank it out and hear that turbo whine!

blackpuffr 08-31-2005 12:43 AM

i dont think i've ever seen a jeep with stacks come to think of it...:rolleyes:

LibertyCRD 08-31-2005 06:36 AM

You know, the funny thing is I already thought of that. My wife just looked at me and said, "Um.. No." :D

northslope 11-12-2005 12:15 AM

As I was layin on the couch sick this week the DHRA was on during one of my breef moments of conciousness there was a CJ with a compound turboed 4BTA didn't hear it run but it fit nice!!