General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Hotshot buggy tire psi

Old 06-15-2017, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hotshot buggy tire psi

Member of a hotshot crew running all over the southwest fighting fires.
Our crew carriers arnt the safest things in the world so we try to minimize risk.
Question is proper tire inflation in 115 degree temps.
Goodyear, G622 RSD, F Rated. Mounted on a 2014 Dodge Ram 5500. Tires call for 95 psi cold, Goodyear website says 105 max psi. We have always tried to keep them at a very minimum of 80 psi. Now we have a guy insisting that we hit the road from St. George Utah to the north rim of the Grand Canyon with the tires at 65 psi. I just did my push-ups for arguing that running tires 30% below minimum manufacturer recommended specs is dangerously low.
Is 65-70 psi in our duals too low, regardless of outside temperature?
Old 06-15-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by IHCsawyer
Member of a hotshot crew running all over the southwest fighting fires.
Our crew carriers arnt the safest things in the world so we try to minimize risk.
Question is proper tire inflation in 115 degree temps.
Goodyear, G622 RSD, F Rated. Mounted on a 2014 Dodge Ram 5500. Tires call for 95 psi cold, Goodyear website says 105 max psi. We have always tried to keep them at a very minimum of 80 psi. Now we have a guy insisting that we hit the road from St. George Utah to the north rim of the Grand Canyon with the tires at 65 psi. I just did my push-ups for arguing that running tires 30% below minimum manufacturer recommended specs is dangerously low.
Is 65-70 psi in our duals too low, regardless of outside temperature?
it depends on the load, when i was running my dually empty pressures were less than 50 psi....i never had any tire problems.
but i noticed when they were inflated to recommended pressures, they wore out in the middle ............i think the mfg recommends the pressures at max load, so adjust as needed
Old 07-09-2017, 04:48 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I run at 80 and watch tires for over/under wear on our F 350 flatbed, it is usually at or over max load. These are e range hiway m&s, not f range ribs....

Modern tires are pretty reliably safe, most problems are human error,,,like under inflation, more likely to roll off rim in emergency maneuver. My rec'd is run at manufacturer's sug't pressure=reduction in liability so you don't have to state in a report that a crewman argued to reduce tp with no real authority to do so.....

Just my .02
Old 07-10-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Why not look up/find the load inflation tables of the tires and run the pressure recommended for the weight the tires are carrying. The tire manufacturer is the expert on the tire not the vehicle manufacturer. Running it 30% under max psi is ok if that psi is appropriate for the weight the tires are carrying only way to know is to look at the table. I also would recommend looking at the table for yourself not just calling a goodyear tire store, nothing against goodyear tire workers but in my experience they sell tires they don't seem to know much beyond the sales literature, obviously that depends on the individual employee though.

On my trailer tires max psi is 80psi. According to the load inflation table for that tire I can actually run 45psi for the weight they are carrying. That is over 43% below max psi. I dont run them that low at least yet but am talking myself down a bit from the current 65psi to perhaps 55 or 60psi while still having plenty of capacity over actual weight as well as softening the ride a bit.