Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Help!!! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/help-215190/)

ddunn 08-25-2008 12:38 PM

Help!!! Looking for Advice.

Hi... looking to buy my first Dodge diesel and I have no experience.... looking for an older model to tow a travel trailer.... i heard the 1997 12v engine is very good... is that true or should i be looking for something different?... thanks... something reliable....

madhat 08-25-2008 02:07 PM

Stay away from the VP44 injection pump... The P7100 is a great injection pump. There is a series of engine blocks that are known for cracking... the 53 block. You'll have to do some research about that, I'm not too spun up on it.

The 12v was a great, fuel efficent motor.

Good luck.

dodgeguy71 08-25-2008 04:07 PM

The 12v is the engine of choice for some, others like the 24v. Yes you have the dreaded VP44 on the 24v only thing that can be done about that involves FASS or Airdog(or other) and a good quality aftermarket VP44. So that can be pricey....$2000. Other than that my 24v has been fine. If I want more power I buy some computer thingy and plug it in. On your 12v you want more power prepare to get greasy and play with the 7100. Then you have the killer dowel pin on the 12v, which if not caught can be bad.

I'm not afraid to jump in my 24v and drive to cali tomorrow, can't afford the fuel but it'll do it and make it home. Same can be said about the 12v's. I bought mine after reading and hearing about the dreaded vp44 so I was prepared if it happened. It did and dodge paid for it.

As far as the "53" block you'd have to get up underneath the driver side of the truck in front of the front tire and look at the block above the oil pan. If you see a cast number "53" that is the block I believe was made in Mexico(?) and had a problem with the cast or mold and the blocks were thin or could have been thin or something like that. Regardless, they have a tendancy to crack in the block and leak coolant. Some guys are running them with no problems, I saw one with 265000 miles on it in a rollback truck toting equipment and it was fine.....for now. Oh yeah, and if you don't see the cast number then your ok. Seems like the 53 was fairly good size and somewhere near the mount on the block(?).

Either way you go, 24v plug and play power or 12v wrench and play power you'll have some minor issues with either one, remember supreme alien beings did'nt build them and God had nothing to do with it either. You won't go wrong with either one, just the expense of the vp44 is something you'd have to keep in mind.

ddunn 08-25-2008 06:10 PM

thanks to those who responded... much appreciated

madhat 08-25-2008 08:00 PM

I love my common rail... I've drove both a p-pumped 12v and this... I'd take the 12v as a work truck, and the CR as a DD and cruise around town truck.

DiezelSmoke 08-25-2008 08:41 PM

I loved my 97!

ofcmarc 08-25-2008 09:50 PM

1st gen........

CowboyDave 08-25-2008 10:24 PM

Miss my '97 but love my '03.