Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Heat in 90 seconds from a Diesel engine? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/heat-90-seconds-diesel-engine-55017/)

JoeMama 11-19-2004 08:56 AM

Heat in 90 seconds from a Diesel engine?

Hey Folks,

Just thought I would pass along a little information to you all. I currently work for a company that is in the final stage of design on a heater system that produces heat to the cab of a diesel engine in less then a couple of minutes. Before I started at this company, I didn't realize the extent of the problem with the heating systems in diesels. I think that all of you will find this very interesting. We are currently working with Dodge on a couple of different platforms (2007 launch).

Here's our company's web site if you are interested www.ventechlhg.com

Looking forward to making your cold weather days warmer,

JoeMama

Shovelhead 11-19-2004 09:43 AM

Very interesting product.
I'd like to see more info.

100* rise in 90 seconds.
At freezing temps, we'd better be careful about cranking on the windshield defrosters.:o

AlpineRAM 11-19-2004 10:07 AM

Some of the Toyota D4Ds over here have something like this. It actually works, but nowhere that fast.
I still like having an espar heater much better since you start a warm engine.
The problem with the windshield defrost ain't that much to worry about shovelhead. Think about the thermal stress in the block :)

AlpineRAM

infidel 11-19-2004 10:37 AM

Looks good, how much?

Journier 11-19-2004 11:04 AM

... why not just an electric heater thats imbedded into the dash???

i dont understand why this isnt already done..

so you have instant heat as soon was you turn on the heat whenever/wherever.

:/

wouldnt be a little simpler to just install a small electric heater and wire it to turn on with the heat?....

Dr. Evil 11-19-2004 12:58 PM

JoeMama,

With all due respect, Id think youre going to have to come in at well under the cost of an Espar Proheat or Webasto. I have the Espar - heat is immediate and it offers a few more advantages.

Looks like a good product though.

Good Luck with it.

triplenickel 11-19-2004 08:03 PM

I think it looks cool. It's good to see new stuff coming. If the $$ was right I could see the old beast having one.

Dr. Evil 11-19-2004 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Journier
... why not just an electric heater thats imbedded into the dash???

i dont understand why this isnt already done..

so you have instant heat as soon was you turn on the heat whenever/wherever.

wouldnt be a little simpler to just install a small electric heater and wire it to turn on with the heat?....

This is for heating the coolant.....for quick warmups

Ray,IN 11-19-2004 10:28 PM

Well- My dial-up connection took 7 minutes to download the website. After it finally downloaded, I was able to read about the product. Is it powered from the existing accessory belt? How long does it take to bring the entire engine coolant to that 100* rise? I'll keep watching for availability, it's very interesting.

FastZilla 11-20-2004 03:33 AM

I want the in-dash model for making coffee on plowing nights :D [laugh] [guitar]

Snow in -> Coffee out....

couldn't help it....

bulabula 11-20-2004 09:20 AM

That heatup cycle is almost as fast as my microwave oven - and I'm only trying to heat up a glass of room temp water not to mention gallons of ice cold coolant.

It certainly looks interesting. Just make sure it has a good failsafe mode so it doesn't make my 200* coolant rise to 300* in 90 seconds pulling my boat up a long grade.

AlpineRAM 11-20-2004 09:36 AM

With the big hunk of cast iron in under the hood I'd be very careful with gushing in hot water in a frozen block....

AlpineRAM

Shovelhead 11-20-2004 11:07 AM

That's my worry with the windshield too ...... "Thermal Shock".
I've seen more than a few windows disintegrate when brought from the cold outside into a warm mechanic's bay.