Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Greasel Diesel Conversion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/greasel-diesel-conversion-19365/)

CMN_NOT_STROKN 10-25-2002 12:25 AM

Greasel Diesel Conversion

I am not sure where to post this so I thought this might be as good a place as any. Feel free to move if necessary.<br><br>I just read an article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch about a company that makes a kit to convert diesel engines to run on waste vegetable oil. I am not sure what to think of it. I have heard of Biodiesel and know that it is quite expensive right now, but apparently this is run on waste oil that you can get for FREE from just about any fast food restaurant. I like the idea but don't know if it would really work, and if it would be reliable enough to use on a frequent basis. Let me know what you guys/gals think. If it is a reliable source of fuel, then I might consider it. I realize that DC and Cummins probably wouldn't warranty it but those that are past warranty period wouldn't have to worry about that.<br><br>Here is the link: www.greasel.com<br><br>I saw a special on TV where in Europe that they are doing something similar, but I think they were taking the waste oil and refining it. Anyway, let's discuss it and see what we can come up with.

Smokee 10-25-2002 06:32 AM

Re:Greasel Diesel Conversion

CMN:<br>The Ontario Ministry of Natural resources ran a Cummins pick up for over a year on Canola cooking oil. Worked fine, apparently.<br>george

Lary Ellis (Top) 10-25-2002 04:34 PM

Personally I would not want to mess with all that old grease. It would be everywhere on everything and you would end up being called frenchy!. Besides &quot;frenchy&quot; ;D don't those rendering places buy that stuff from the restaurants?

CMN_NOT_STROKN 10-25-2002 08:42 PM

Yes from what I understand, you get the oil from restaurants. I would think that it would be messy until you got used to doing it and learned how to be more careful. Was just wondering if anybody has heard of it or even better, used it and was curious to the results. Would be interesting. I'm not sure you would want to get the waste oil from Krispy Kreme...cops would be following you all the time! [laugh]

AlpineRAM 10-26-2002 06:49 AM

In Graz(City in Austria) all of the city busses and the municipal work vehicles run on that stuff. Smells weird, works fine. You need to filtrate and wash the old oil.I think that this is profitable if you have the resources to recycle veg. oil on a larger scale and have your vehicles return to home every evening. <br>You can modify the veg oil (methyle esther) it so it becomes a substitute for normal diesel. Then it can be run without any changes to the engine. <br>I think that this will be the process that will be viable in the short term.<br><br>AlpineRAM

97CTD 10-29-2002 08:30 AM

If one was to do that i would think it would almost be mandatory to get a sticker across the top of the window that says &quot;FRY DADDY&quot; ;D

CMN_NOT_STROKN 10-29-2002 09:53 PM

Good One! [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]