General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Good experiences at a Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good experiences at a Dealership?

I work at a Dodge dealership in the sales dept. It seems that on these forums all we do is get bashed. I know there are some dealerships that deserve it but not all. If you don't get enough for your trade do not get mad at the dealership. They are telling you what it is worth to them. Sell it outright. If you come into the store carrying an invoice telling the salesperson he cannot make any money off of you should he get mad at you or help you make your purchase? This is how our families are fed. I have been in the business a long time and have a very loyal following because I try to take care of my clients. I really would like to hear of some good experiences with your dealer as I have not seen any on here. Someone out there must have something to say good about us at least once? Jim
Old 12-22-2005, 07:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Not here. Dealers to me are a means to an end, thats all. Give me the vehicle at 3% under invoice, stop lying to me, pay attention to what I just said and what I asked for, stop lying to me, get my truck here and preped, and leave me alone. Stop lying to me. We are not friends, we are not on the same side, don't call me buddy or try to shake my hand. The sales people are either three steps into or out of drug rehab or prison. The sales manager eats up new sales people and spits them out so the next time I come in there is a whole new bunch of worthless "know it alls".

Dealer "service" is even worse. Parts costing $400 at the dealer can be had at a Cummins shops for $160. The SAME part. A block heater cord costs $40 at the dealer and $17 at Cummins. THE SAME PART! I have NEVER had a good experience with a dealership service department. They overcharge for simple maintenance. $80 for an oil change and they don't even use diesel rated oil.

I had trouble with my seat belts not extending. I was told they had to be replaced. I paid $800 to have the seat belts replaced. I come on DTR and find out all they had to do was reset the ECM. Cost = Free! I printed out the fix I found on DTR and took them to small claims court and WON!

I had trouble with my fuel guage registering full all the time. They replaced the fuel module for $600. Come to find out from the tech that the anti-syphon ball had fallen into the tank and jambed the float. Cost should have been $150 for labor is all. AGAIN I took them to small claims court and WON!

Dealerships are simply a license to steal hard earned money from people who are uninformed. DTR is a voice against the shinanigains of dealers.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:40 PM

When I bought my '02, I thought I was OK...Knowing what I know now, I got raped, and smiled the whole time but that was better than what the Ford sales rep did to me

This time was much better....Still over what I wanted my payment to be, but I can live with it...This was not the fault of the sales rep....It was the fault of the guy who sold me my '02...I am very pleased with the deal I got....We'll see about service

Simple fact of life: Dealers prey upon the uninformed/unknowing/unwitting...

Same goes for service...I called 5 different dealers looking for a winter front....2 tried to convince me that the thermostat was stuck...

I womder how much of it is sales rep vs. finance manager vs. owner vs. bottom line?

Oh yeah....The auto makers and the oil companies have America bent over the barrell...Its a conspirac!!!!
Old 12-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Banned

I can say that I had a good experience, on 23 s in NJ, I walked in looked at trucks, was greeted and sat down. I mentioned a friends and family afiliaion and they rushed through the sale and heavy markdown so fast they forgot to see if I still qualified for the friends and family that I thought I did. Well turns out I no longer qualified, too late, I had the trucka dn paperwork didn't say anything about the deal being hinged on qualifying, just a heafty markdown. they did not get mad, just asked me to enjoy my truck, I told them I would recomend them to anyone I knew looking for a truck. I have only been back to the dealer once, to get my plates. I had my reflash done and tire recal at another dealer that is closer to me but really fell on its face when I looked there first for a truck. Amazing that the later qualified for 5 star status.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:52 PM

The way that customers are treated in the service depts are leading to the downdall of American vehicles.
And I know that the majority of the service depts would really like to do more for their customers but their hands are tied by their "higher ups"
Toyota is not taking the number one spot from GM because customers are happier with the way GM takes care of them.
I read somewhere not to long ago that the two auto companys who were rated the lowest in customer satisfaction were hyunda and chrysler.
That is sad.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:55 PM

Best experience I ever had buying a vehicle is when I bought my truck. Worked with the fleet guy at the dealership (because I was a credit union member). Threw me the keys and said take it for a test drive. First one I drove was a loaded '02 1500 with the 360. Took it home put it in the garage to see if it would fit, went back to the dealership and said "let me drive a diesel". That was it. Never once thought about that gasser again. Came back from the test drive and he wrote a price on a 3x5 card (invoice minus incentives) and pushed it across the desk, no haggling or bargaining or BS or anything. Told him I would think about it. Fine he said, let us know. Absolutely no pressure at all, the most laid back sales guy ever. Called him back the next day and offered a little less than what was on the card he said I'll call you back. Called me back within an hour and we made the deal over the phone. Picked up the truck 3 days later (dealer trade), he gave me the keys and said have a nice day. No meeting with the "accessory department", the "warranty department" or the "finance guy". I was on my way in under 10 minutes.
Too bad he is not there anymore. That particular dealership has changed names 3 times since then

~Rob
Old 12-22-2005, 07:56 PM

Doesnt help that cars have become disposable

Thats why I moved up to diesel...Hope it lasts longer...
Old 12-22-2005, 07:56 PM

I do know what you mean about the stuff being cheaper at Cummins. Dodge sells the stuff to the dealership. Maybe this is a Dodge markup problem and not the stores. I jsut bought the cord for my block heater. $24 was 10 percent over dealer cost. Obviously the store paid more than they could have gotten it for right from Cummins. I can only speak for the dealerships in my area but we have some great competitors. There are a lot of dealerships in financial trouble here. I think some of them should have taken a bit better care of the customer over the years to build the clientel base we need. Here is a question for you guys. If the Dealerships in your area are raping and pillaging you why don't you buy a store and get in on it? You could put a stop to it and do the right thing. The huge profits certainly are there. Then again you will also get the huge expenses that come with it. Sales Managers can make or break the store. At a lot of stores the owner does not know if there are problems unless he directly hears of them. I have been a Sales Manager for years. Right now I head up Finance. Both jobs can be stressful and both can be rewarding. Geico if I gave you a vehicle for 3 percent under invoice what would you like me to take away from the deal? Nothing? I don't work for free as I am sure you don't. Too bad you guys weren't out this way closer but remember not all dealers are bad guys. You may even like some of us. Jim
Old 12-22-2005, 08:06 PM

Hotdram, Us finance guys are some of the most hated in the business and some of us should be. Let me leave you with this thought as it sounds like you had a very good experience there. My salesperson sells you a truck. You are a cash buyer. You don't want a warranty. That is fine with me. But with all the lawsuits today I have to be able to prove later on that I offered you one. I have to have you sign a menu stating that you denied the chance to purchase one as you have that right. In the meantime I happen to ask where you are getting your money from. You tell me the local credit union. Thats great. I can get the money from them for you at 1/2 percent less than you can get it from them for. I offer it to you for 1/2 percent less and save you money. Am I a bad guy? In our case if a client comes in after the 3/36 and says he was never offered a warranty and goes to the attorney general what are we to do? I will say this though, there are not many of my peers in the finance dept. that I really like or trust. I have seen some things for sure. I also think it it getting much better. Again a few bad apples spoiled the whole bushel. Jim
Old 12-22-2005, 08:06 PM

I don't think it so much the initial dealership presentation that is the problem I think it is the service people get after the sale.
If the dealers were ALLOWED to take care of their customers i think the dealers would be held in higher regard.
And then to add salt to the wounds, if you have a problem and call Chrysler, they dump it on the dealers by telling you that the dealers are independents and you have to deal direcly with them.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:07 PM

Herb,
That starts right with the owner and I agree with you. Jim
Old 12-22-2005, 08:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sCreamin400
Geico if I gave you a vehicle for 3 percent under invoice what would you like me to take away from the deal? Nothing? I don't work for free as I am sure you don't. Too bad you guys weren't out this way closer but remember not all dealers are bad guys. You may even like some of us. Jim
If you asked me that question I would call the regional sales manager from DC and file a formal complaint. Then I would contact the state and file a complaint with the auto dealership licensing board. However, if I get 3% under invoice, all incentives to me, a full tank of fuel, free oil changes for the life of the vehicle, your first born child, and if you are lucky I won't come over the top of your desk and knock the ^%^%%$^#@$#76876%*% out of you.

What would I give you? Are you kidding me? That is the best you can come back with? Page # 3, paragraph 6 of the guild "How to sell to an Idiot?" You bore me. I will stand in the middle of your sales room floor and tell eveyone what a crook you are until I get the deal I want.

What would I give you? I'll give you 10 mins to get me MY deal or I will hire 5 guys from the mission and paint them signs to protest your unfair sales practices.

Again, you should re-read my post. We are not on the same side. Trust me if you sell cars I will NOT like you.

You are the enemy.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:12 PM

Gieico,
Reread my post. I am asking you here what you would like us to take from the deal? I would never ask in person as that would be disrepectful which I am not. I do not believe you and I are enimies. I believe we could be on the same side as to get you the right treatment not what you have had. Jim
Old 12-22-2005, 08:14 PM

Couple of points:

1. Competition is no longer local...Due to the internet, dealers are competing nationwide...Am I wrong??

2. Attitude goes a long way

In my search for the '06, I used build & price, searched the net, and visited 3 local dealers....I had in mind what I wanted....Nothing less would suffice...I knew what the pricetag would look like....I was actually looking to buy 3-6 months away, but I was getting my feet wet....(Found a truck in NC for $36K spec'd exactly like I wanted...This was my "benchmark")

Dealer #1: "None in stock, but we'll take your name and phone number and call you when "something" comes in" That "something" was a RED 2500 Hemi-exactly what I TOLD them I DIDNT want

Dealer #2: "None in stock, but we have this nice (beat up) '04 2500 CTD with 50K miles for only $32K" And I have a crack pipe...Smoke this...They told me I should get on a plane cause I wasn't gonna get an '06 CTD from them for $36K....They were right

Dealer #3: None in stock, but give me a few minutes"....10 minutes later, I read a build sheet, every option and feature I wanted....Dealer trade was done in an hour, my deal was done in another hour...They didnt even drive my trade, and gave me $3K more than what they are selling for Gave me a loaner for the night, and delivered the new truck to me at work....I was happy

Attitude goes a long way
Old 12-22-2005, 08:17 PM

Sure is good to hear of the good times that can be had. Attitude is everything. Now let's hope that the service is as good and you will be all set. Jim

Quick Reply: Good experiences at a Dealership?