General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Getting an old 6.9L F250 running/drivable

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting an old 6.9L F250 running/drivable

I recently picked up an 87 Ford F250 4x4 with the 6.9 liter diesel(I beleive that's what they came with that year). The truck has been sitting for the better part of a year, but everything is intact and in OK shape(or so it appears). I put a fresh battery in it yesterday and it easily turns over, it started and ran for about half a minute. My question is: what are the first few things I should check/do to the engine and less significantly to the truck to get it running OK, so I can at least drive it around locally a bit. This is the first old diesel I've picked up so I'm just going off what I know of gas engies, thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well start here

www.thedieselstop.com, just kinda be nice to the ppl and look thru the 6.9 forum, for your sake and speakin from myexperience DO NOT bring up your dodge.... they are very jingoistic people (IE full of ford pride)

First is first, check the belts, the old indirect injects or IDI's for short, are easy to work on, im sure its a non turboed 150 horse 330 TQ engine. I would check all of the fuel return lines for leaks, check the serpentine belt for wear, tear, or cracks, most importantly Change out the fuel filter on it, easy job, have fresh diesel in it, new or good batteries, a good alternator, the relay for the glow plugs hope its good and make sure that the glow plugs and glow plug wires are in decent shape. these old idi's get really hard to start at 40 or less... A can of ether wouldnt hurt to have in the toolbox just incase.. these engines were not all that powerful, but were gutsy and faithful,

If you really want it to run well, id suggest get a new injector pump and injectors for the truck, IP is a lil tricky to change out (that spider lookin dealy at the top of the engine) and injectors are only 30 bucks a piece, so 240 dollars, plus 400-500 for a good IP, well ull have a solid running truck, add about whatever the total is for the above parts and ull have a sweet runnin older diesel..

Tx
Old 07-19-2005, 11:51 AM

TXDiesel007, thanks for all the tips, the truck is in pretty good mechanical condition for it's age; I have yet to get out to the auto parts store so I'll see what happens this afternoon when I can tinker with it some more.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:48 PM

What do you need to know, I know the 6.9's and 7.3 IDI's pretty good...If it started up and then shut off, its more than likely air. There is a schrader valve up by the fuel filter, press in on it after you have cranked. if you have air, start your search...if you have a fuel pressure guage, you need 4-6psi at the lift pump point...Also I dont recommend changing the IP right off the bat. Over the past 10 years of working with these girls, I have seen more wasted $$, for nothing. There is a time and place to replace the IP, but 90% of the time, its not to fix a concern or boost power.

email me at csramsey@peoplepc.com, i can fill you in on the rest
Old 07-19-2005, 08:08 PM

csramsey640, thanks for the tip, I still couldn't get the rig to start up today, even with a shot of either; it turns over easily(all the electronics seem to work and look as they should). I changed the fuel filter, the old one wasn't dirty. After turning the engine over a few times and pressing in upon the shrader valve I got a little fuel to leak out. All fuel lines appear to be in ok condition, no leaks that I could see. I'm guessing it's something with the fuel delivery system, but I have no experience with working on diesel trucks. I appreciate everyones help.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:38 PM

im lookin at a 7.3 IDI to get as a pullin truck
Old 07-20-2005, 08:41 AM

suzukiZrider, I'd be interested to know what you do as far as power mods to that engine, as soon as I get this truck running, I'd like to get a bit more power out of it.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
power mod options are low for IDIS

the best thing you can get for it is an aftermarket exhaust. It is possible to turn up the pump on one a couple of turns, which is the mere turn of a screw, i had some diagrams but i lost them, if id look at the pump id remember how to do it, but it is tricky, and like our rams, go ahead and get a good set of gauges. An aftermarket turbo really seems to wake them up in comparison to stock but due to compression ratios on them, well, u can only get safely no more than 12 lbs of boost from a turbo, Pistons, headwork, a crank, and a cam are also popular options, it is not impossible to get 400 horses outta an IDI, but its gonna cost you WAYY MORE than what it does to bomb ur cummins engine.. Two good sources.. PM Argve, (yes he is here) he is an IDI guru, like there is no tomorrow, IF you are on the diesel stop PM land_yaught, i think is his name, ppl in the idi forums know him as Ken, Darrin Tosh is another good one, IDI junkies, they can all help you with much more than i can, being that mine had only a K&N and straight pipe..

Suzuki, i think ud have better luck modifying your stroke for pulling than your IDI.. trust me they are expensive...

Best of luck

Tx
Old 07-20-2005, 01:19 PM

TxDiesel007, sounds good, I'm only planning on small power upgrades to this truck, no machining or anything fancy like that.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:48 AM

yea well compairing injectors to my stroke and the IDI stroker = $210 each where as IDI = $36 each for high flowing larger injectors and i would like to mod my pstroke into a pullin rig but if something breaks im SOL its my daily driver and the IDI would be cheaper if the long run seeing as how im getting it for free
Old 07-21-2005, 08:09 AM

Suzuki, where are you getting these larger injectors for the IDI from?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:30 PM

check out www.davesdiesel.com hes got alot of stuff