Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   General Questions (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/general-questions-50088/)

Dan3667 08-29-2004 09:59 PM

General Questions

Hello all, I know I don't post much but keep a close eye on here. I finally came off the road and now have a local driving job for a pipe laying co. delivering equipment and supplies to all our job sites. I must say, it sure is nice to be home every day of the week!! My signature is now wrong as I don't drive a Freightliner any more, mostly drive a Ford 900 or a Mack Superliner w/ a 500hp V8 tri-axle that bellows out black smoke worse than anything I've ever seen. Anyway, on to the subject; I am ready to sell my 95 F-350 gasser and get a diesel. I need to find at least an ext cab or 4 door 3/4 ton or 1 ton and won't be able to pay much more than about $5500. My question is this: What should I stay away from? Of course, I will be looking at 80's & 90's Fords, late 80's & 90's Chevs and early 2nd gen Dodge. I feel fairly knowledgeable on the Dodge (Thank you all!!) I used to drive the old 6.9 Int'l and thought at the time they ran well (a looong time ago). Can a turbo be fitted to these? What about the non turbo 7.3's? What about the 6.4 Detroits? I know they have the reputation about stretched head bolts, how about the 6.5 Det turbo and non turbo? The only thing I have heard about those is they lacked power. Can all of the above be turned up? I doubt that I can find a Cummins powered truck in my price range. I need some advice and info concerning the above mentioned motors. I pretty much know the trucks they came in. Please help!! Thanks ...Dan

Raspy 08-29-2004 11:29 PM

Dan,

A turbo could be fitted to most anything but putting one on a 6.9 is really asking for trouble. And it would not be cheap. I had one that was stock with a automatic and it went through an injection pump, several water pumps, and had TWO cracked heads in 100,000 miles! Plus I rebuilt the steering twice, broke a tooth off the ring gear, front brakes four times, and the second tranny was in serious trouble when I got rid of it. Whew! Never again!
Do what you have to do to get a Cummins! You'll never regret it. The second and third gen trucks are much more modern than the 1st gens (I have a '93 too), but they are all great. I loved the power my '93 has but the suspension and other things are really old fashioned.

Wetspirit

Dan Brooks 08-30-2004 12:11 AM

Ditto on the Cummins advice. For the price range you're looking to spend you should be able to find a decent 1st Gen Dodge. 2nd Gen truck bring a little higher price.

When I was looking at trucks I spoke to a good friend who is a maintenance foreman for a large construction company. They have tried all the "big three" trucks, and the Dodge was the only one that proved to be reliable. They even use the Cummins in a lot of thier construction equipment and have had excellent luck there, too.:)

Personally, I wouldn't even consider a non-turbo'd truck. They're dogs stock, and by the time you install a turbo you could've bought a nicer Dodge.:D

Raspy 08-30-2004 10:58 AM

Dan,

A turbo could be fitted to most anything but putting one on a 6.9 is really asking for trouble. And it would not be cheap. I had one that was stock with a automatic and it went through an injection pump, several water pumps, and had TWO cracked heads in 100,000 miles! Plus I rebuilt the steering twice, broke a tooth off the ring gear, front brakes four times, and the second tranny was in serious trouble when I got rid of it. Whew! Never again!
Do what you have to do to get a Cummins! You'll never regret it. The second and third gen trucks are much more modern than the 1st gens (I have a '93 too), but they are all great. I loved the power my '93 has but the suspension and other things are really old fashioned.

Wetspirit

Raspy 08-30-2004 11:00 AM

Sorry about the double post:( Wetspirit

Dan3667 08-30-2004 04:39 PM

I agree, I know I would be happiest w/ a CTD, but around here, they run minimum in the upper $8,000's and higher. The 1st gen's, just never cared for the body style but could probably get used to it w/ nice wheels and tires. I mainly wanted to know what kind of problems are known about all the rest except what I already mentioned. The problem I have is I must sell my truck to pay off some bills and what will be left over should be around $5k. I do like simplicity so maybe I should look a little closer at a 1st gen. Thanks very much and keep the opinions and facts coming! Thank you........Dan