Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   G56 Clutch Installer In MD, VA, WV or PA (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/g56-clutch-installer-md-va-wv-pa-321194/)

marathon 03-02-2015 01:56 PM

G56 Clutch Installer In MD, VA, WV or PA

Could somebody recommend an installer for a G56 clutch? I'm looking in Maryland, Northern Virginia, West Virginia, or SouthCentral Pennsylvania.

I'm looking to replace my stock clutch and the only shop nearby is the dealer. DTR's SouthBend HD clutch looks good, but the nearest shop they could recommend is in Norfolk.

Thanks in advance.

marathon 03-17-2015 10:12 AM

Lots of looks, no help. Oh well, off to the dealer.

I'll let you all know cost and outcome when it happens.

Danderson 03-17-2015 03:12 PM

Good luck. It's a strong clutch and sharing the 3250 DD pressure plate it will have more pedal effort.

South Bend Clutch 03-19-2015 07:44 AM

South Bend Clutch - List of distributors

Grit Dog 03-20-2015 01:14 AM

Any trans shop can install it for you. Just buy all the parts and have them ready when you take it in. These trucks are about as straight forward to replace a clutch as any vehicle.
Don't overpay though. $6-800 max labor or they're taking you for a ride!

Danderson 03-20-2015 08:42 AM

When the shop supplies the parts you have somebody to go to bat for you. Occasionally a quality issue comes up and an installer supplied part makes them part of the equation. You supply the part,you're on your own.

South Bend Clutch 03-20-2015 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Danderson (Post 3270962)
When the shop supplies the parts you have somebody to go to bat for you. Occasionally a quality issue comes up and an installer supplied part makes them part of the equation. You supply the part,you're on your own.

Couldn't have said it better.

Peter

Lary Ellis (Top) 03-20-2015 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Danderson (Post 3270962)

Precisely why I didn't sell him the clutch when he called me and suggested he find an installer first ;) I could have made the sale but being sure he was protected was the best thing to do for him :)

South Bend Clutch 03-20-2015 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top) (Post 3270989)
Precisely why I didn't sell him the clutch when he called me and suggested he find an installer first ;) I could have made the sale but being sure he was protected was the best thing to do for him :)

That's why you are the man Lary!

Peter

Grit Dog 03-23-2015 01:31 AM

You guys are correct with respect to getting warranty on the labor if there's a mfg defect with the parts, however it appears this guy is having trouble finding an installer and a lot of shops don't want to deal with buying or backing anything other than stock OE parts. Was just a suggestion and IMO a SB clutch is pretty low risk for being defective.

Spooler 03-24-2015 11:24 PM

Tim at TRE diesel. He is in Virginia.

marathon 03-25-2015 10:46 AM

Update

After talking to TOP, I started looking at the nearby distributor web sites, but those looked to be just store fronts and couldn’t install the products. One was strictly a reseller to shops. I also asked a couple of the local shops to install a SouthBend. Neither would do it because of the fear that something would be wrong and they would be stuck between me and the vendor. One offered to do a LUC system (the OEM setup) for about $2600.

The dealer installed DMF and clutch for $2000. Included were a couple of bearings, p and c. I haven’t had time to look them up yet.

I got a chance to see the parts that came off. The clutch was in surprisingly good shape. However, the flywheel had about 6 dime-to-quarter sized hot spots. Neither had any broken springs or loose parts that I could see.

After the install, the truck is much smoother idling than before and quieter in general all the way up to highway speed. From my reading, I would guess the DMF had some internal damage that made it out of balance. Shifting is the same, before and after. The trans engages and holds right up to the redline, not giving shudder or slips.

Hopefully, I'm good for another 150000 miles or so.

Danderson 03-25-2015 06:00 PM

You can't beat the stocker for quiet smooth operation.
I still think there's a market for a 60+hp DMF replacement.
I contacted LUK in '07 requesting consideration for one but obviously, nada.