General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

fuel prices

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Tfeore, Just remind her that the diesel gets about twice the MPG of a gasser.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She don't care no more, she drove home from dinner and said "You know I really like the way this truck rides"
It took her a month but shes good now, even if the price of fuel keeps going up.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:33 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Some of you may remember that a month or so ago I posted an article that predicted that by summer that fuel prices were going to hit $3 a gallon. Have since seen other indications that this may be correct. Man, I sure hope that they predicted wrong! This is one time I really, really want to be wrong.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have chose not to post in this thread, lest I jinx all of us Utah Diesel drivers.

I feel a change is coming,
therefore I shall break a mirror under a ladder and let a black cat walk over it in front of me.

As I toss 13 granules of spilled salt over my shoulder I state with firmness of voice:

1.59 for Diesel, rock steady for at least 2 months.

1.69 for cheapest unleaded.
1.79 midgrade.
1.89 for premium.

This is at the Chevron on the corner and the Phillips the next corner down, the two stations I frequent.

phox
Old 02-15-2004, 08:51 AM

Phox, Those are the same prices as around here.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally the price dropped. Phillips 66 and Flying J priced at $1.399 yesterday and today. Gas $1.489.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:12 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Here in it's entirety is an article I have just read. Comments??

Gas may hit $2.50 a gallon
2004-02-13
by Jeff Switzer
Journal Reporter

Gas prices are supposed to be down this weekend, but instead have jumped a dime a gallon in the past month and are still rising.

Two factors are contributing to the rise, according to AAA Washington: the summer blend of better-burning gas is coming on line, and OPEC announced this week it intends to cut oil production.

Critics disagree about the factors, but say gas prices will rise -- possibly to $2.50 or higher in Washington and $3 or $4 a gallon in California this summer, said Tim Hamilton, executive director of the nonprofit Automotive United Trades Organization, a group of 500 convenience store and gas stations in Washington.

``We're probably seeing the low end of the price,'' Hamilton said Thursday.

Refineries have always changed the gasoline mixture to burn better with the changing air pressure of the seasons, Hamilton said, and prices shouldn't go up as a result.

And the West Coast doesn't burn OPEC oil -- it gets its oil from Alaska, California and Canada. ``Very little OPEC oil reaches the West Coast,'' he said.

Hamilton blames volatile Puget Sound gas prices on oil companies artificially keeping stockpiles low and creating an artificial price hike.

``Any change in the price of gasoline is a 100 percent increase in profit to the company, and not because of any distinguishable cost,'' he said.

This summer, analysts predict ``world record profits for the oil companies,'' he said.

A spokesperson for the Western Petroleum Association trade group could not be reached for comment.

President's Day weekend typically has the lowest gas prices of the year, AAA spokeswoman Janet Ray said. In 1999, gas averaged $1.03 a gallon. In 2002, it was $1.15 a gallon on average.

But on Wednesday night the state average was $1.696 a gallon, up a dime over a month ago and up 12 cents over a year ago. Puget Sound prices are slightly higher, $1.707 a gallon on average. The record was set Sept. 4 at $1.969 a gallon.

``It appears that gas prices may be poised to start an increase again as we approach early spring,'' Ray said. ``We really can't, as the consumer, make OPEC produce more oil. We can influence prices by how we utilize gasoline.''

Using less gasoline can ease price spikes, she said.

``Motorists are probably not going to see prices trend back and stay as low as we've seen 10 years ago,'' she said.

Prices were high this time last year as rumors of a war with Iraq started to influence the markets, Ray said.

Gas prices aren't always cheap this time of year, though, Ray said. Gas prices averaged $1.50 a gallon around President's Day in 2001. ``The gas prices have bounced all over in the past five years,'' Ray said.

On Tuesday, the 11 nations comprising the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries agreed to lower output by 1.5 million barrels a day as of March 1 and cut quotas by another 1 million barrels on April 1, reducing production by almost 10 percent.

OPEC's benchmark price is between $22 and $28 a barrel. Prices have stayed above $28 since Dec. 2.

By Thursday, there was speculation OPEC might backtrack on its decision to cut production, depending on how high oil prices rise. The next meeting is March 31.

OPEC's pledge to cut came a day before Wednesday's Energy Department report that showed U.S. crude-oil inventories near a 28-year low. Supplies fell 2.7 million barrels to 268.9 million in the week ended Feb. 6, according to the report.

Bloomberg wire services information was included in this report. Jeff Switzer can be reached at jeff.switzer@kingcountyjournal.com or 425-453-4234.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:14 PM

Just sounds like we are getting it in the end AGAIN.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:46 AM

Up here in the land of the dead dinosaur prices are .579 per litre. .579x3.84 = 2.223/us gal in the dollars I earn. 2.223 x .74 = 1.645us, but i don't make us $
() *

edited
Old 02-16-2004, 08:23 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
We're currently sitting at $1.67 USD/US Gal up here right now. Its actually remained fairly steady for the past few months, but now that OPEC has announced cuts in supply, I suspect our oil companies will use this as an excuse to raise prices again.

What really torques me off about this is that Canada doesn't need to buy a large quantity of crude oil from outside the country. When crude takes a jump, the oil companies raise their prices and stick the rest of the coins in their own pockets.

Rod
Old 02-16-2004, 10:57 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Didja ever notice that when OPEC announces a production cutback, that prices at the pump immediately jump up, but when they announce a surplus, it takes 4 or 5 months for the change to affect the pump price?
Old 02-16-2004, 01:42 PM

This is outrageous...

I am not old enough to remember when gas prices were under $.50 per gallon. The cheapest I have ever bougt gas was $.89, and that was several years ago.

I think a lot of this has to do with what we will tolerate. I realize we can't get by without fuel. You need it, I need it, everyone needs it.

But when did the companies start to forget who they were serving? When did we say "Ok, that sucks but I guess I'll pay it anyway because I have to." It is a sad commentary on these United States when we can be dictated to by another country. But, that is life...I guess.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:03 PM

OK, let me throw another log or two on the fire.
I have read quite a few articles over the last 5 years or so that all say that with some changes in the laws and other stuff that the US could very quickly become totally independent of outside sources for fuel. OPEC could take a hike. Have also read many arguments saying that if the US became totally independent that it would cause the countries supplying fuel (read OPEC and Arabs) to America to really revolt and that in turn would cause even bigger headaches for the states. It would also quickly bankrupt some countries. It appears that whenever a plan to convert the mountains of garbage to usable fuel is put forward that the government quickly find ways to squash it.
Take a look at the way some areas of the country have clamped down on the generation of wind energy.
So around and around we go, sinking deeper into dept and becoming more and more dependant on outside sources to keep us going. America the hostage!
The Arab countries hate America but if America stop buying oil from them, watch out.
So if America really could become fuel independent, why has it not done so?
Anybody care to take a stab at untangling this tangled web?

Quick Reply: fuel prices