Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Fuel additives/freeze prevention (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/fuel-additives-freeze-prevention-320933/)

jj3500 02-04-2015 07:15 AM

Fuel additives/freeze prevention

Looking for info regarding what to add to my fuel to prevent fuel waxing, fuel freezing, gelling all of those undesirable side affects of cold weather.

These are my thoughts/ideas...

Howes diesel treatment claims some very heavy promises. Does it work? I've never used.

Power Service & 911 Red bottle. I've used these products in the New England winters with the recommended proportions (seems to me, the 911 product will make it so that your truck will start. Not all the time. It will leave the wax build up in the fuel filter...to be changed).

HotShot... any personal experiences out there?

i'm looking for an additive that will simply add to fuel during winter months and drive it every day (preferably without all the constant maintenance of swapping fuel and water filters)....does this exist and without all the disclaimers?

much thanks

Lary Ellis (Top) 02-04-2015 08:18 AM

I use Power Service (white bottle) and have since 96 NEVER had a problem with fuel in the winter and I live on TOP of a mountain with the wind blowing cold.....

The MOST important thing is to be careful where you buy your fuel. I only buy from stations that sell a lot of fuel so that I don't get old fuel with water in it. The longer diesel sits in a tank the more water it accumulates....old fuel = trouble.

NEVER buy fuel from small mom and pop places... that is a recipe for disaster, busy truck stops are your safest bet and ALWAYS keep your receipt in case you get a batch of bad fuel. ;)

patdaly 02-04-2015 09:04 AM

Yep, red bottle is emergency only, I have only run white bottle PS for years as well. I do dose heavy, what they say treats 250 gallons usually will do about 100-120 gallons.

I too haven't had an issue for years, all I have is mom and pop, but they all sell lots of diesel.

sledhead01 02-04-2015 11:38 AM

I have used Stanadyne products for a lot of years now and have never had any problems. I use the blue label "PF All Season". Performance Formula « Stanadyne Additives

Dodgetracker 02-04-2015 02:31 PM

I use Power Service (white bottle) also and NEVER had a problem with fuel in the winter. Remember to keep tank as full as possible also.

hzemax 02-06-2015 05:01 PM

What a hell are ya talking about.

Im a Finn for crying out loud.

HMX-1 02-08-2015 12:15 PM

Power Service
- White bottle in winter, silver bottle in summer (white=winter, silver=summer is the easiest way to remember). I've never had to use the red 911 bottle as I'm treating more in the winter months than in the summer.

FPPF Fuel Power
- They make 2 types; one for bio and one for regular #2. I've used both (the bio version recently as Oregon pumps are B5) but mainly have used the #2 diesel version since the late 80's with zero issues.

Ashless two stroke TCW-3 oil
- A pint for every 25 gallons helps quiet the diesel chatter on our '06, and I use it on our '08 once in a while just to add some lubricity to the fuel. No issues with either truck.

-Kris

NE frmhnd 02-09-2015 11:14 PM

White power service doesn't burn. There was just a little in the bottle so I tossed it on the fire the other day. It ran out the bottom of the barrel.

whiteeye42 02-10-2015 08:45 PM

opti-lube fuel additive works great they have one for winter one for summer and several others go to Opti-Lube Diesel Fuel Additive | Improver | Oil Fortifier | Block Grease | XPD

SIXSLUG 02-12-2015 09:21 AM

I'll second what Top and HMX said...My truck is a Power Service junkie. I've used Howes and Stanadyne, but the PS seems to be available everywhere I have gone so I just stick with it. Interestingly, the additive thread rates it's lube aspect pretty low, and that is why I started using it in the first place, to save my VP...

I keep a bottle of 911 and a couple of filters in my tool box for just in case, but have never needed it. -16F in MT three Christmas's ago...no problems,

MikeyB 02-12-2015 09:29 AM

I've been using Power Service, silver and white for years at every fillup. Also add 8oz of TCW3 at each fillup to increase the lubricity with the PS.

BarryG 02-12-2015 11:46 AM

Might as well throw my two cents in. Been using the TDR blend from Amalgamated for 13 years now with not one freeze up or gell in temps down to -30f. I use the winter blend year round but they do have a summer blend. These guys produce for refinery's additive packages etc like some of the other mfrs. You wont find anything about double dosing etc. I am not knocking power service at all but if you read the bottle it might say something like increases cetane up to 6 points but if you read the fine print it only does if you double dose

right from their website
white bottle
16-OUNCE (PART NO. 1016)

At temperatures above 0°F., add entire contents (16 ounces) to 40 gallons of diesel fuel. When temperatures drop below 0°F. or when using biodiesel blends, add entire contents (16 ounces) to 20 gallons of diesel fuel.

silver bottle
16-OUNCE (PART NO. 3016)

Add entire contents (16 ounces) to 40 gallons of diesel fuel. For maximum cetane boost and quicker fuel injector clean-ups, add entire contents (16 ounces) to 20 gallons of diesel fuel.

Again I am not knocking Power service at all many use it and have no issues whatsoever just pointing out the double dose stuff in the fine print and many other brands do the same thing. Not that it doesn't work but a bit misleading imo when comparing costs based on the big print on the front of the bottle.

In any case I have been very happy with the amalgamated products and they are worth looking into. They do have one issue and it is not available from anywhere except them as they are not retail oriented. I buy the 5gal bucket and use 11oz MSR fuel bottles (which I have six and keep in my toolbox) and put in enough to cover my typical fill up.

Diesel Fuel Additives, Biodiesel Additives, and Custom Fuel Additives : Amalgamated, Inc.

Just another option

mini14 02-27-2015 10:58 PM

Had howes in my tank fuel was gelled from the tank too my pusher pump and external fuel filter it was 1* outside. Had to wait till later in the day till it hit 20 for it to start getting fuel. Drove it to auto parts store bought a bottle of power service white. Poured it in. It's been fine ever since. Hit 1* a few more times since. No problems that was with my 99. My 05 didn't give me any trouble at all

hzemax 07-23-2015 04:51 PM

Perhapse im lucky to live in Finland. We have this thing called winter diesel, that has the freezing point at 32 degrees -celcius, dunno what ever it is in Farenhait. Pretty cold anyway.

It will be sold in every gas station nation wide since july.

hzemax 07-23-2015 04:54 PM

Ofcource we go on the cheaper stuff at the spring