General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Ford is at it again.........

Old 06-02-2003, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re:Ford is at it again.........

Some folks buy because of the trucks looks, other buy based on long running family loyalties, others make buying decisions based on price, package options... etc, etc, etc.
Its your money, buy what you like.

Do not let this deteriorate into a brand bashing thread.

Rich.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=Gary - KJ6Q link=board=8;threadid=15410;start=0#144826 date=1054570526]FIRST off, I guess you'd need to define what you consider &quot;better&quot; - what exactly is it in your eyes that makes a Ford &quot;better&quot;? Better paint? Better sheetmetal? Better engine/drivetrain? What?[/quote]<br><br>Ummmm...how about all of the above...except for the engine/drivetrain. <br><br>
For every long-lived Ford you can show me, I can show you a Dodge that did the same - for every rusted out Dodge, I can show you a Ford - for every busted Dodge, I can show you a Ford - for every ford that lasted forever, there's a Dodge that did the same - for every Ford used in heavy, overloaded daily service there's a corresponding Dodge. etc., etc...
<br><br>Doubtful. Proportionally maybe...but not one to one. There are FAR more Ford trucks on the road...both old and new...than there are Dodges. Not saying you can't produce all of the above in a Dodge...but not one for one. Ford outsells Chevy and Dodge combined in trucks...so it stands to reason that they'd have more that last longer, more that are rusted, more that are busted, etc., etc., etc......<br><br>
It basically comes down to personal preference or predjudice - and *I* have been a Ford fan FAR longer than a DC fan - but at THIS point, if a Dodge and a Ford stood side-by-side, both equipped with the same Cummins I would have absolutely NO preference, and as likely to STILL choose the Dodge wrapper over the Ford sheetmetal, I think they BOTH have very comparable packaging other than the engines...
<br><br>Like I've said many times...I'm not a fan of any of them...or rather I should say that I'm not loyal to any of them. I buy whatever suits me best at the time. This time it was a Dodge. BUT....taking everything into account....both trucks having a Cummins...I'd take a Ford (at least right now I would).<br><br>Now...anyone who disagrees with me from this point on is WRONG. ;D
Old 06-02-2003, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the special edition F150's, I have seen first hand how they can drum up sales. My Dad two years ago was debating which of the half ton trucks offered from the big three he would buy. He and I went to auto shows and attended a local &quot;Mayor of Truckville&quot; show. He was really impressed with the new Ram and may have very well chosen it. Then he saw the King Ranch special F150 and being a BIG western fan, that was that. He said that he really like the Ram but couldn't resist the western leather interior of the KR, though he was not fond at all of the exterior F150 design.

I'd like to see Dodge shoot back with some special editions of their own. How about a &quot;Kenworth Special Edition Cummins HD Ram&quot;? ;D
Old 06-02-2003, 07:46 PM

[quote author=dodgeram link=board=8;threadid=15410;start=0#144868 date=1054574753]
I won't comment on the better truck thing but I will say the leaf sprung manual locking hub front end in my buddies 99 1 ton super duty seems a lot tougher than my front end
)
[/quote]

Yeah those dana 50 front ends are awesome. I hope you can detect the sarcasm in my first sentence. Are you freakin kiddin me?
Old 06-02-2003, 08:39 PM

he's got a 60 in the front of his 1 ton and it has the full size 60 bearings and axles not the downsized ones like we have in our 60's......<br><br>also I'd love leafs and manual hubs .....nothing is more reliable than that........
Old 06-02-2003, 08:58 PM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m on the same side as Hoss. For me personally I like the way the dodge pulls and drives. BUT if I were going to buy a truck to pull heavy loads and have someone else drive it, I would buy a Ford it seems that over the long haul they hold up better. I pay attention to the truck a hired driver may not and I don’t feel that the Dodge would react well to that.<br><br>By the way I have had the chance to prove this line of thought. In 1994 the city bought two diesel one ton trucks .One Ford and one Dodge Both were set up similar and pulled loads in the 10,000 range. (Water tanks) The Dodge has been sold at action and the Ford is still pulling. the body on the Dodge was shot ( due to all of the abuse) . The Ford body is still in OK shape but the motor had to have new injectors, oil pump, and the Trans needs an overhaul. Not sure on the miles but the run hours have been outrages. <br>
Old 06-02-2003, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do a lot of hot shoting and ran with a ford that was the same yearas my previous dodge which was an 01. i was pulling a larger load had drw and 4x4 got the same mileage and out pulled it all the time . the reason ford sells so many trucks is because they sell the new ones so cheap that you can buy a new one darn near for the same price someone wants for a used one. i work mine like a dog and it is a lot tougher then any ford i've been around and i was a chevy guy before i got into the ctd.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:23 PM

also I'd love leafs and manual hubs .....nothing is more reliable than that........
<br><br>Unless of course you consider the new no hub design used in the new 2003 HD Dodges. There is no hub to break, if anything goes it's going to be a u-joint most likely. This is the way the military has done it for years and there number one concern is .... reliability.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:33 AM

[quote author=bigfoot link=board=8;threadid=15410;start=15#145062 date=1054605492]<br>I’m on the same side as Hoss. For me personally I like the way the dodge pulls and drives. BUT if I were going to buy a truck to pull heavy loads and have someone else drive it, I would buy a Ford it seems that over the long haul they hold up better. [/quote]<br><br>OHHH!!! I forgot!!! There is such an abundance of 1million mile Ford PowerStrokes out there!<br><br>&lt;--- Blonde... So forgot that!<br>And can you dectect the sarcasm?????????
Old 06-03-2003, 08:56 AM

This is why nobody likes you people. You're too touchy. :
Old 06-03-2003, 10:11 AM

[quote author=Hoss link=board=8;threadid=15410;start=15#145189 date=1054648588]<br>This is why nobody likes you people. You're too touchy. :<br>[/quote]<br><br>Seems like I remember Hoss dabbling on a Ford truck board recently and got even worse reactions............
Old 06-03-2003, 10:22 AM

Just to keep things on the subject of my post, I found a sketch of the Harley-Davidson edition. I'm underwhelmed... :

Old 06-03-2003, 10:24 AM

[quote author=Hoss link=board=8;threadid=15410;start=15#145189 date=1054648588]<br>This is why nobody likes you people. You're too touchy. :<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey I'm a very likeable person! And <br>[move][glow=red, 2, 300]A DODGE DRIVER!!![/glow][/move]
Old 06-03-2003, 10:36 AM

[quote author=redramnc link=board=8;threadid=15410;start=15#145223 date=1054653113]Seems like I remember Hoss dabbling on a Ford truck board recently and got even worse reactions............ <br>[/quote]<br><br>Actually some of those were quite a bit more civil than what I've seen on this thread. Sad, huh?? [undecided]
Old 06-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Banned

What's gotten into you lately Hoss? You seem a little more edgy than usual. The lack of sleep starting to get to you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford is at it again.........