General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

The Feds will force HD pickups from gas to diesel.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Feds will force HD pickups from gas to diesel.

Interesting article how new regulations. This will ruin the HD gas trucks. I guess it will force the HD's to be diesel, no problem. I am sure the regs will make all vehicles more $$$$ anyhow. FYI

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...0,419500.story
Old 09-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Yeah 2 years ago the diesels were a bad thing and now you just call them a "green diesel" and the whole world loves them

Amazing how shallow people really are.......
Old 09-14-2010, 04:02 PM

It does make me laugh imagining a HD truck with small turbocharged engine, lighter frame and low resistance tires.
It probably won't be able to get out if it's own way without flexing but the low resistance tires won't grip so at least it will be able to do a burnout.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hidden nugget at the end of the article...

Of course, the report also notes that instead of requiring any complex technical changes to the vehicles themselves, the government could simply reduce fuel consumption by significantly increasing the cost of fuel through higher taxes.
It truly is the crux of the issue; how can the government get their paws on more of your money. The rest of the article is just fluff...
Old 09-14-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What I'd rather see than diesels only in HD is a natural gas option with NG filling stations everywhere.
Pretty much goes by the name of the Pickens Plan> http://www.pickensplan.com/natural_gas/
Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 PM

I don't think that should be allowed
Old 09-14-2010, 07:38 PM

Fuel tax revenue has been "behind the curve" since 1993 and our cowardly politicians (and stupid voters) won't raise it to cover the cost of roadways.

Fuel is already subsidized in cost, but this is flat irresponsible. The politicians are making deals to "sell" to foreigners what you and I have paid for, over and over, because the states can't even maintain, much less replace those worn out roads. That tax needs to go up substantially.

As to HD trucks being diesel, hell, ALL pickups should be. Fuel efficient, last forever and slow would be just fine.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GO GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEn.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Yeah 2 years ago the diesels were a bad thing and now you just call them a "green diesel" and the whole world loves them

Amazing how shallow people really are.......

Shallow, no. Stupid, yes.

Kris
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 AM

Well, if it means much; look at how much the DPF and the like added to the cost of trucks. An additional $1K is crazy.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:57 AM

Ever seen how much traction a low rolling resistance tire has on snow? We have snow for up to 6 months a year.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
All this technological BS is making trucks way too heavy and complicated. Look at 1st gens, will run a full ton lighter than new trucks if not more. And get 3-7 mpg better. I say throw a urea system on it and see what happens!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
What I'd rather see than diesels only in HD is a natural gas option with NG filling stations everywhere.
Pretty much goes by the name of the Pickens Plan> http://www.pickensplan.com/natural_gas/
Well, rather than the current administrations ideas, atleast doing a public works program of building a N.G. distribution network would make sense, put people to work, help the environment, ease the burden on crude oil, and be something that is cheap and plentiful right here in the USA... Go figure, its doomed due to making sense... Tell me thats NOT a goverment program...
Old 09-16-2010, 11:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't think it needs to be a government program but maybe some tax breaks would help companies that want to get involved with NG for transportation get started.
NG pipelines already criss-cross the entire nation, new infrastructure mostly involves compressors to liquefy the NG and stations to dispense it.
Converting any engine to run on NG isn't that hard nor expensive. Biggest expense and challenge is a new tank.

Main problem is it makes too much sense, something that this country seems to be currently lacking.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:46 AM

Yea but according to the fox news article I seen about that NG explosian down in the Calif. bay the ng pipeline that are burried across the country are 40 to 50 years old & have a life expectancy of 50 yrs. So whats the cost of replacing all these ageing lines & adding more to them?

Quick Reply: The Feds will force HD pickups from gas to diesel.