General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Engine Hours ---> Miles Calculator

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IF I ever have the ability to purchase a brand-new truck, I will put an hour meter on it before I drive it off the lot. This way I can monitor both, and yes, I agree it's better to use hours for service schedule than miles. But isn't it true the trick that was mentioned that at least the 3rd gen's have engine hours displayed on the odometer?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by 96_12V
IF I ever have the ability to purchase a brand-new truck, I will put an hour meter on it before I drive it off the lot. This way I can monitor both, and yes, I agree it's better to use hours for service schedule than miles. But isn't it true the trick that was mentioned that at least the 3rd gen's have engine hours displayed on the odometer?
Yes they do, you hold in the trip button for 5 seconds I hear.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by hipsi
Whats the formula for calculating hours to miles?

If anyone knows.. 21,000 HR = Miles?

Thanks
Im a AAI Diesel Heavy Trucks student and we were told the formula for converting linehaul miles to engine hours is by dividing the mileage by 5. So I'd assume if you know the hours then to find out the mile would be multiplying The Hours by 50 to find out the miles.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
No major engine work done, just rear axles and transmissions.

They are serviced now every 300HR which is every 13 Days. (Lube, oil, filters)

They should have had synthetics in them to avoid having to do the oil so often but that was the routine well before I took over.

I know synthetics are compatable but is it something worth doing after its been conventional oil for so so long? I was thinking Semi Synthetic to add some wear protection since they are getting up there in hours and I need to extend the engine life as long as I can as winter is our busy season.
You seriously need to check out 100% synthetic oils with extended drain filters, it would save you a heck of a lot of time and a bundle of money especially if you do oil analysis on top.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
No major engine work done, just rear axles and transmissions.

They are serviced now every 300HR which is every 13 Days. (Lube, oil, filters)

They should have had synthetics in them to avoid having to do the oil so often but that was the routine well before I took over.

I know synthetics are compatable but is it something worth doing after its been conventional oil for so so long? I was thinking Semi Synthetic to add some wear protection since they are getting up there in hours and I need to extend the engine life as long as I can as winter is our busy season.
You seriously need to check out 100% synthetic oils with extended drain filters, it would save you a heck of a lot of time and a bundle of money especially if you do oil analysis on top. When my son worked in the oil patch he had a 50/50 split on drive and idle time on his last 2 trucks.