General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Early 2004

Old 03-10-2008, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early 2004

In some of my earlier posts i complainded about pulling 11k doing 70mph and hitting a 7% grade and 1/2 to 3/4 up it i could only do 45mph and it was buried.

Lets say i do splurge on a new torque convert & valve body from one of the reputible builders. What would that scenario do hitting the same 7% grade? Or would I have to then go out and buy the edge and all that stuff? I would like to purchase a pac brake at some point depending on how much this ordeal would cost me?

Or do I try and trade her in on a 08 real leary on that one.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:24 AM

The parts you described won't give you any power, the senario you described is a power problem you need more juice. Save your money and either buy a new truck or buy one of the plug n play products to give ya more juice.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by DiezelSmoke
The parts you described won't give you any power, the senario you described is a power problem you need more juice. Save your money and either buy a new truck or buy one of the plug n play products to give ya more juice.
I thought it would put more of the power to the wheels instead of making heat?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:29 AM

You may get more power off the start, but for long runs your running out of HP.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:19 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You need more power. Period.

Get a Smarty and you'll definately see a big HP jump. Then you will see the true need for a TC because it will start slipping while in lockup.

Yes, let the bombing begin! Oh, and gauges and exhaust and..............

Your problem is low power, NOT TC wasted heat. With a few mods you will easily out pull an '08, you'll have proven reliability, and better overall mileage. But you'll still have the 48RE instead of the new 6 speed.

I'm staying with my '04 and it is definately not slower than an '08 (but I wish I had an '08 tranny)

John
Old 03-10-2008, 01:54 PM

You may get more power off the start, but for long runs your running out of HP.
Forgive my ignorance but my truck has stock 305 hp/555. The 04.5 on up has 20 more hp? Is 20 more hp making that much of a difference for guys saying they pull the grades with same type of loads not feeling the trailer??

Just doesn't seem right to me. I can see the extra gears in the 68re but i hear everyone saying they don't even feel the load going up that type of grade. Unless of course they are not telling the truth and have the little man issue???

Not sure if i want to trade it in or buy torque conv/ valve body , then a chip / exhaust etc... When does it stop
Old 03-10-2008, 02:15 PM

Your description of whats happening to you in a long steep grade has nothing to do with the transmission. Torque Conv. and Valve body won't get you HP. You don't have to buy a new truck, it is one of your options to get more HP along with buying a plug n play unit of some sort.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:59 PM

Your description of whats happening to you in a long steep grade has nothing to do with the transmission. Torque Conv. and Valve body won't get you HP. You don't have to buy a new truck, it is one of your options to get more HP along with buying a plug n play unit of some sort.
If I get a plug n play how much more hp do you think the stock tranny can handle before it starts slipping? Thanks for all the info.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mijpa
In some of my earlier posts i complainded about pulling 11k doing 70mph and hitting a 7% grade and 1/2 to 3/4 up it i could only do 45mph and it was buried.

Are you dropping out of OD when you get down around 60mph? It doesn't hurt to run these trucks at 3000 rpm 'ya know. These engines started out as generator power units- built for constant high rpms. It's not a duramax or PoSD...

What you described is about what my '03 would do stock, and I have the 250hp engine. With the mods in my sig (EZ on level 2), I can hold a steady 65mph all day in 3rd gear (lock out the OD) pulliing 11k up a 7% grade: Boost at 31 psi, 2900 rpms, 1150° pre-turbo egt. I think I spent less than $700 total for those mods inlcuding the gauges. The boost elbow made the biggest difference, but you gotta have more fuel to go with it, hence the box.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
Are you dropping out of OD when you get down around 60mph? It doesn't hurt to run these trucks at 3000 rpm 'ya know. These engines started out as generator power units- built for constant high rpms. It's not a duramax or PoSD...

What you described is about what my '03 would do stock, and I have the 250hp engine. With the mods in my sig (EZ on level 2), I can hold a steady 65mph all day in 3rd gear (lock out the OD) pulliing 11k up a 7% grade: Boost at 31 psi, 2900 rpms, 1150° pre-turbo egt. I think I spent less than $700 total for those mods inlcuding the gauges. The boost elbow made the biggest difference, but you gotta have more fuel to go with it, hence the box.
I tried both od off as well as the next time od on. Who did the work for you? How is your tranny holding up?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:44 PM

If I get a plug n play how much more hp do you think the stock tranny can handle before it starts slipping? Thanks for all the info.

60 HP is all you'll be able to count on. If you go to 90 you'll have to run at higher RPM to keep the tranny alive. Pull grades at about 2200 RPM and when locked watch the tach or just listen for a rise in the RPM. It's better to keep the revs up a bit anyway to help with the EGT.

Again, get a Smarty and you'll be grinning from ear to ear. Not just more power but snappier performance and better mileage. Just don't run it at full throttle on grades at 1600 RPM or the tranny will fail. When it finally becomes time for a tranny you can get one of the beefed up ones we all read about here.

John
Old 03-10-2008, 07:53 PM

Forgive my ignorance but my truck has stock 305 hp/555. The 04.5 on up has 20 more hp? Is 20 more hp making that much of a difference for guys saying they pull the grades with same type of loads not feeling the trailer??

Just doesn't seem right to me. I can see the extra gears in the 68re but i hear everyone saying they don't even feel the load going up that type of grade. Unless of course they are not telling the truth and have the little man issue???

Not sure if i want to trade it in or buy torque conv/ valve body , then a chip / exhaust etc... When does it stop
Why give up a wonderful '04 truck for twenty more HP and worse mileage. You can add 90 HP in 5 minutes.

If they can't feel a heavy load on a hill they must asleep. It's just an exageration. A Cummins makes pulling hills easy but I'm still able to stay awake.

John
Old 03-10-2008, 09:42 PM

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I tried both od off as well as the next time od on. Who did the work for you? How is your tranny holding up?
No tranny problems(or mods) so far (60k miles, lots of it towing heavy over mountain passes out west). I did the "work" myself, if you can call it that. EZ & boost elbow= 20 min, S&B= 25 min, Gauges= 1.5 hours.

Edit: The S&B did nothing to help the towing condition you described, if anything my EGT's went up a little and power dropped a tiny bit, but low end throttle response increased an MPGs driving around empty went up a little. I'm going back to the stock set up soon to verify.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:42 PM

I love my '04 wouldn't trade it for the world,more then enough power and reliable as they come. I have stock drivetrain and trust me my truck has been through the paces a time or 2. Take care man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Early 2004