General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

duramax and powerstroke

Old 07-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duramax and powerstroke

Of course all on this forum i think everyone believes that cummins is better that the other 2 motors but why is that?

More power? less problems? cost to maintain? life of motor?

i`m a newbie thinking of buying my first dodge diesel.

thanks. Bob
Old 07-26-2010, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my farm I have run both Ford and Dodge at the same time. Fords I have run 6.9 idi 7.3 powerstrokes and 6.0 powerstrokes. As far as Dodges have run a 2000,2004,2006 and a few days ago got a 2010 6.7 dodge.

I can't say anything good or bad about the new dodge only have 300 miles on it so all I can say about it is it's seems good.

on the older trucks ford always had good stock power but the Dodge trucks would constantly get 2mpg better fuel mileage over the ford. Plus things like oil changes and fuel filters have always been cheaper on the Dodge trucks.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 AM

Well as far as powerjoke problems go, my brother has had them all.....In less than 100k has gone thru, 2 turbos, rear main, 2 sets of injectors, head gaskets, then engine, then head gaskets on used motor, now looking for Cummins replacement ideas. We have a buddy who runs a farm and loves his dmax, but independent front suspension and lack of pay load are his issues. On my Cummins, I had emission problems and a turbo replaced but last week it got DELETED.....
Old 07-26-2010, 09:15 PM

I did a LOT of research, and I mean LOTS before I bought my 5.9L Cummins, which just happens to have a Dodge wrapped around it.
Chevy beat the Dodge hands down for ergonomics but there were significant problems with the Duramax engines, where the Cummins engines have been known to go 1 million miles or more.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
there is a reason why you dont see duramax and powerjokes used in commercial or industrial applications plus its a inline 6. Plus there are companies that make a good living selling Cummins conversion parts:

http://www.destroked.com/

http://www.fordcummins.com/
Old 07-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Banned

Swapping engines

What about a heavy smog state and all their rules? Is that going to be a paperwork nightmare when it comes smog time due to sale of a truck or having to get it smogged every 2 years?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:31 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jesussaves
there is a reason why you dont see duramax and powerjokes used in commercial or industrial applications plus its a inline 6. Plus there are companies that make a good living selling Cummins conversion parts:

http://www.destroked.com/

http://www.fordcummins.com/

Yes they are used in commercial and industrial applications.

Top kicks are commercial applications, As are International trucks which do run the powerstrokes. The international motors have also been used in amrine applicaitons, can not speak for the duramax but the Powerjokes ahve also made it into water pumps. Though i may not like them they are comparible motors.

Why i chose dodge........... less moving parts and relatively easy to repair/ maintain. ever looked under the hood of the other two
Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ddestruel

Why i chose dodge........... less moving parts and relatively easy to repair/ maintain. ever looked under the hood of the other two
this is the only reason i chose a dodge over ford, so far i have been proven correct. not a single engine problem, now the trans, AC, rear diff, HVAC and tac issues are another story lol.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:18 PM

My buddy's '03 6.0 gave up on him couple weeks ago without any warning. First diagnosis was some sort of fuel pressure switch stuck open... it was corrected. A re-check with the computer showed some sort of oil pressure problem wherein the motor had to be broke down again. When it was all said and done the mechanic said the motor needed to be replaced... he went and bought a new f-150.

I tried not to give him to much grief but I did tell him not to buy it back in '03. Only trouble the truck every gave him was it needed ball joints around 36k. So basically he had 121,000 miles of trouble free use then bam, it just craps out on him.

The dealer gave him $5,000 sight unseen... would of cost 10 grand to replace motor. He did say they asked him what motor it had in it after they made their offer and when he told them they replied "junk". To bad, this truck could of been put on any lot and it looked like it had hardly been used. He is real finicky with his autos.

So in a nutshell... stay away from the Fords.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:34 PM

sounds like it would have been a nice truck to drop a CR 5.9l into...
Old 08-17-2010, 04:41 PM

Would of been but he needed a truck to use and couldn't wait. He really likes his new F-150 though... he has kinda got to the point I'm at, next truck will be a gasser. Only difference is I'm hanging onto my diesel.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:20 PM

I love these posts. All the trucks are pretty much the same when it comes to performance and reliability. Take the blinders off guys.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hvaccer
I love these posts. All the trucks are pretty much the same when it comes to performance and reliability. Take the blinders off guys.
Thats pretty good if you run a used car lot.

The 6.0 Frod is a known problem from the get go and is a continual problem with EGR and HG problems. The 6.4 seems to be far above that in reliability and the transmission seems very power capable. 6.7 TBD..

The Duramax is on version ......uh.. 5 I think of the 6.6 in the last 8 years, so hopefully its getting to the end of the revisions.. They had their problems too with injectors, overheating, turbos and recently everything has been pretty good.

Blinders would be to avoid seeing the problems they all have to choose which one you want to deal with. There is a 07 6.0 Ford left in BC with only 80,000 Km on it with a fresh HG/EGR cooler that was replaced with an 07 Megacab Cummins after it left my friends family stranded.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:05 PM

So then you're saying that there hasn't been at least a dozen revisions of the cummins since 89? Or that there hasn't been any issues with cracked blocks, questionable injection pumps, bad injectors, bad turbos and head gaskets with the new ones.

You totally just proved my point with your post.

I like Cummins as much as you guys obviously, but I'm not blinded by the big C.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:48 PM

1. Inline-6 configuration: The inline-6 is still the top choice for industrial applications including heavy equipment, power generation, big rigs and ships. Sorry Chevy, but only the Cummins is truly "industrial grade." It is inherently smooth and balanced by virtue of its inline-6 configuration. It does not require added complexity of counterbalancers like V8's do. Even in my cars I have always opted for inline-6's over V8's due to their many perforamnce, reliability, longevity, and maintenance advantages.

2. Reliability and longevity: Inline-6 configuration will generally be more reliable and outlast V8 configurations. There are far fewer parts in an inline-6 since there are no counterbalancers and only a single bank of cylinders. The naturally smooth-running nature of the inline-6 will run much longer too.

3. Maintainability: It is the only one capable of an in-place top-end rebuild. The V8's must be pulled from the vehicle to do top-end rebuilds. Valve adjustments, injector changes, etc. are very easy on inline-6's compared to the V8's which pose clearance issues that create significant maintainability issues. The Ford V8 requires pulling the cab off the chassis to access the turbos as I understand. Everything is easily accesible under the hood of the inline-6.

4. Perforamnce: Inline-6 gets better gas mileage, and builds steady power through its entire power band. It builds power like a freight train: steady, smooth, and very surely from very low down, making something like 80% of its rated max torque at idle and builds max torque at a very low 1600rpm. If you want snappy performance like a muscle car and want to turn more rpm's then the V8 will serve you better though.

These things are really only important though if you plan on keeping your truck for many years and putting a lot of miles on it. For me, I wanted an engine that I could count on for many years and several hundred thousand miles to reliably haul heavy loads and with the least maintenance hassles. I prefer the performance characteristics of the inline-6 to the V8 as well. I primarily bought this engine because it's an inline-6 if you can't tell already. To the best of my knowledge the Cummins inline-6 will live up to my expectations more-so than the Chevy (Isuzu) V8 or the Ford (International) V8 will. The fact that it's a Cummins brand though is very nice (VERY nice indeed), but Dodge could switch to a CAT, Detroit, Mercedes or even Isuzu diesel and I would still buy it so long as it's an inline-6 and not a V8--not even a Cummins V8.

Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straigh...diesel_engines

And more: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/cummins-diesel.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: duramax and powerstroke