General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Drove an LBZ D-Max the other day.....

Old 12-19-2005, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Drove an LBZ D-Max the other day.....

Interior is the same as it has been, exterior same too,(it was a GMC). I'd forgotten how much better the locking differential set up on the GM's was than what DC uses. Anyway, enough about that. That sucker was a ROCKET! No waiting for the turbo to spool or anything. You were doing 60 mph right stinking now, and that was in 2wd with at least a little wheel spin up to about 30. The defueling during the shift felt really strange to me, hadn't driven one of the Allison trucks before. Pretty nice ride really though. Stomp the skinny pedal and off to the races. The LBZ is the 360 hp, 650 tq. version of the DMax.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:18 PM
FAY

LBZ Duramax

Originally Posted by IA_James
Interior is the same as it has been, exterior same too,(it was a GMC). I'd forgotten how much better the locking differential set up on the GM's was than what DC uses. Anyway, enough about that. That sucker was a ROCKET! No waiting for the turbo to spool or anything. You were doing 60 mph right stinking now, and that was in 2wd with at least a little wheel spin up to about 30. The defueling during the shift felt really strange to me, hadn't driven one of the Allison trucks before. Pretty nice ride really though. Stomp the skinny pedal and off to the races. The LBZ is the 360 hp, 650 tq. version of the DMax.
Thanks for putting your observations of the LBZ down for us to see.

I will have to agree with you about the superior performance of the GM's locking differential. Our two wheel drive GMC pickup's locking carrier causes the one rear tire to grab the solid surface almost instantly when the other tire is on ice. It amazes me why Dodge will not get AAM to put the same locking mechanism as the GM uses, or preferably a manually selected locking setup, in their differentials for in the Dodge HD pickups. DC probably has to use up surplus parts manufactured with compromising light duty technology before they will change the production line. Something strange exists, $$$, in most auto maker's production line when they do not try to provide their customers with the most practical equipment for moving heavy or light loads over terrain with difficult or limited traction.

I also agree that the the GM trucks are smoother riding, but I want a heavy draft horse diesel truck and not a light draft coach horse diesel truck. I live on a farm and even though I baby my truck with maintanence and a light foot on the accelerator still I expect it to work hard when needed.

You said the LBZ was a rocket, but how would it respond under a severly heavy load when the engine's rpms are low like in the mountains. I presume the Allison tranny would let the V8 rev up until it is in its peak torque range before transfering the full load to the engine. I like my Cummins to work by pulling a load at the lowest rpm possible without lugging the engine. That is why I would like to install a high range auxillary transmission in my 3500. The stronger Cummins bottom end can take the low rpm torque from the 5.9 liters where it should be in a working truck with a manual transmission. GM D-max had peak torque developed at 1600 rpm which is comparable with the peak torque in the Cummins, but how long will the stock bottom end in the 6.6 liter LBZ stand up to sever loading conditions? No doubt DC is going to have to make some changes to compete with the LBZ on the strip and sled.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:00 PM

Well; if the 6.7 rumor is true, then i see NO problem with being able to put a hurt ont he d-max's even worse The d-max's are pretty quick stock. Havent drove/rode in an LBZ, but they are suposedly fairly quick.

Eric
Old 12-19-2005, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I asked Brett Suthervatter, one of Edge's founders, about the bombing potential of the new DMax. They have found there is less head room for increased power in this engine over the old ones. The overall power potential is the same. Everyone knows the potential of the CTD, so keeping up isn't going to be any problem.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Banned

My mom's got the old LB7 or whatever the 03's came with and that thing is freaking fast. And it pulls our 3 horse gooseneck like it's not even there. That allison with the tow/haul mode is a wicked combination. I love my dodge but I do wish the ride was a little more refined. I don't mind a stiff riding truck, but the dodges are pretty heavily sprung. Our Dmax squats maybe 1" with 3-1500lb horses, full tack, hay, and feed in the trailer. I personally have nothing against a smooth riding, easy driving truck as long as it will pull whatever I want to without any trouble.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by FAY
You said the LBZ was a rocket, but how would it respond under a severly heavy load when the engine's rpms are low like in the mountains. I presume the Allison tranny would let the V8 rev up until it is in its peak torque range before transfering the full load to the engine. I like my Cummins to work by pulling a load at the lowest rpm possible without lugging the engine. That is why I would like to install a high range auxillary transmission in my 3500. The stronger Cummins bottom end can take the low rpm torque from the 5.9 liters where it should be in a working truck with a manual transmission. GM D-max had peak torque developed at 1600 rpm which is comparable with the peak torque in the Cummins, but how long will the stock bottom end in the 6.6 liter LBZ stand up to sever loading conditions? No doubt DC is going to have to make some changes to compete with the LBZ on the strip and sled.
You questions/observations are all stuff I don't know. The stuff I do know, "it's a riot to drive, you ought to test drive one just for fun", "locker in rear is far better", "looks the same as last year" are all stuff that I DO know. I have no clue if it will even last out of warranty running light, never mind with a trailer. But it would be fun 36k.

Edit: The reason I know the GM locker is not just better, but WAY stinking better, I had an '03 Chevy with one, and it makes the one in my truck look (act?) sick.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:02 PM

i think the lbZ will be the one that all the diesels will compare to, it will be great for towing, daily driver, mileage, quietness, and longativity, price will be it biggest negative compared to the others, i heard Bully-dog just released a tune for the Lbz that will take it to over 450hp@900 tq, on a stock tranny, Cummins and ford will have their hands full, with a little time i see 1000hp comming out of this motor
Old 12-19-2005, 10:05 PM

I don't know about all that. I think that GM has been "bombing" the motor for the user, rather than having to buy boxes for it. The Cummins is still under-rated from what the industrial and marine applications are. Until someone can prove they have a motor that makes as much power, as efficiently, for the same average life to overhaul, Cummins is still king as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:36 PM

i had a 5.9 in a 2290 case tractor, thing had lots of tq and ran good to 10000hrs, they needed an overhaul, but the cost was still low compared to the others
Old 12-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Banned

I know a guy with a LB7 he was running a couple boxes and some drugs on the way to 700 hp. He split the block right through the cam journals down through the main journals..
Old 12-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fredw
i had a 5.9 in a 2290 case tractor, thing had lots of tq and ran good to 10000hrs, they needed an overhaul, but the cost was still low compared to the others
I had 10,000 hours on my 89 CTD as well and it was running good when I sold it back in 99. Last I saw it driving around Airdrie last summer.

The marine CTD was rated for 370 Hp back in 1994, Yes it has gotten close to its block rating potential, but not there yet.

When is the HP race going to end anyway?? Seems sorta pointless to keep having these big numbers coming out then to have everyone complain about mileage. Between the EPA messing with mileage through emissions and the HP war, only the oil companies win.. HMMMMMM
Old 12-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I drove a new 2006 Chevy Duramax, Crew Cab, Allison Auto, 4X4 last week with a friend of mine. I have to agree with DTR Member "IA JAMES" that the power that truck had was impressive!! I liked the "manual shift mode" on the transmission that allows the driver to manually shift the tranny by pushing a "+ or -" switch on the transmission shift lever. If you powerbrake that truck, it will fry the small rear 245' tires and will also spin the tires right off the line if you punch it to the floor. However, the top speed was about 94 MPH and when you get there the governor cuts off the fuel RIGHT NOW!! Like some of the other members, I wonder what they will do when you hook a heavy trailer and load to them (10,000+)and get in the mountains
trying to go up a 6-7% grade!

Whether "it (Duramax Engine) will be the one that all diesels are compared to" is a matter of personal opinion! I know way too many owners that own the Chevy Duramaxes that have had them blow apart badly after heavy mods; like Clint Cannon @ ATS, Buck Spruill, Dusty Meyers to name a few. Do I think they have improved them? Yes! But, like some of the other members I still worry about the reliability over the long run with the Duramax Engine especially when you start doing heavy mods to them.

Just my .02 cents...................................

--------
John_P
Old 12-20-2005, 12:46 PM

You just cant compare a lighter duty V-8 diesel to an inline-6 for performance/fuel consumption/ease of maintenance/or longevity. You can box the CTD to run 13's through the 1/4 with a stock tranny too, but it wont last near as long as it would behind a stock truck. The D-Max's do good with just boxes, but boxes arent the only thing involved with the heavier competition, and that is where the Cummins reigns supreme. Plus; most the
d-max guys are still trying to compare their trucks to the old 12 valve CTD's as far as mods go. You have to compare apples to apples; in other words,
D-Max vs. 03 and up CTD. The CTD will just never be beat unless one of the other manufacturers gets a big inline 6 to put in one of their trucks.

Eric
Old 12-20-2005, 05:42 PM

so far i have seen that when the duramaxs enter the 700plus hp we are seeing bent con rods on #8, some guys are not, if they are not caught on time then the bent rod takes the block out, hopefully soon we see a better rod out there...

now for the newer motors Lbz, gm strenged the rods, and blocks to hoppfully take care of that problem for future power mocifications

my buddys 03 cummins making 600plus hp also had some bottom end problems, but thats the nature of the beast when you push that hard for hp...
Old 12-20-2005, 05:55 PM

MY friend just got a LBZ GMC and his truck is faster than mine stock. but i can beat him with the quad box pretty easy. I will say that i severely underestimated the D-Max before his, it's a pretty nice engine/trans combo. but we both pull the same trailers everyday for work and my pulls better than his. so far he's getting 15-16 mpg around town, 13-14 pulling our trailers (about 6-8k).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drove an LBZ D-Max the other day.....