General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

drove 06 duramax for a week

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now i would also like to see what ET times a 1000hp would give at the track on a 6500 to 7000lb truck such as richards

a few guys just dynoed at around the 680hp to get around the 11.8 at the track with solid shifts at around 114mph

my guess would be a mid 9s at around 140mph, whats yours, whats maddogs best time?? .... does it all add up
Old 10-04-2006, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya'll missed the point i dont care what a truck can do in the 1/4 mile or how much weight it can drag for 300 ft. i use my trucks to make money not play, mine have to drag 26k for 500 miles and get good mileage and have power doing it and the 06 duramax i had for a week could not do it while my 03 can and the 07 should be able to also. thats the real reason a lot of people use their trucks for. i didnt pay 38k for truck so ican go play i bought it so i can make money and not have to spend it on fuel or repairs
Old 10-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

Rich,
must of had a bad D'max with winter fuel. LBZ's run 360/650 compared to your 2003 cummins which is 305/555. I doubt highly your truck is a better puller. If it is so good why did the newer dodge making 325/600 loose to the Duramax with 12,000 trailer attached in edmunds diesel shoot out??. Why because 360/650 is more then 325/600. Take a look over at Open roads forums, several people were wondering why their Dodges were slowing up hill with the mighty cummins power. I've got nothing against cummins or any other diesel because I have no brand loyalty at all, but some of you guy's go a little over board with how great your truck is compared to other brands. Anyway there should be another test coming with the new 6.7 cummins and six speed auto. Till then....
Old 10-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LBZ Power
Rich,
....Why because 360/650 is more then 325/600. Take a look over at Open roads forums, several people were wondering why their Dodges were slowing up hill with the mighty cummins power.....
True to a point. But if you have a 6spd standard CTD (common issue) vs. the DMX Allison (common issue) your torque at the wheels is not that different. The driveline losses on the Allison are darn near 20% where the manual is 14-15%. The difference is only 10 FT-LBS at the wheels. Auto to auto would be the same differential (540 to 508) to be fair but with a 1 or 2 gear advantage to the Allison. Since the manual transmission DMX is only rated at 300/520 I didn't bother.

The auto of the DM is definitely the strong point that makes the competition very respectable. I do like the Allison for ratios and options once they shored up the overdrive issue for full torque. I do wish they could figure out to put a 365HP engine on a manual tranny, but I would bet emissions would be an issue.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Banned

Lil dog,
I think you'll see lower numbers with the new Dodge 6.7, stick vs auto also. Reason is you can program an automatic to defuel during shifts allowing converter and clutches a chance to lock up or grab. Sticks if you don't take your foot of the accelerator, between shift with a heavy load it is probably just to hard on 5th or 6th gear with higher torque. Most D'max with 6spd auto put down 570tq, 540 would be if you can't lock out 4th on the dyno run.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
I do wish they could figure out to put a 365HP engine on a manual tranny, but I would bet emissions would be an issue.
True dat, Lil Dog! Don't get me wrong, I have more than enough power for a daily driver. But, an extra 60 horses and 140 lb-ft of torque never hurt anyone! I'll be curious to see how the new Aisin tranny pans out for Dodge. It should help to keep the Cummins in its power band better than the 4-speed auto.

To Rich's original point, I don't know if he got a dog or what. I would have expected it to at least equal his truck assuming his truck is stock based on his sig. My guess is that it takes a little different driving style compared to the Cummins he's used to. The Duramax seems to really come alive from around 1400 rpms on up. Most reports I read here about the Cummins says its power is from idle to 2100 rpms or so. It doesn't make one better than the other in my mind, it just makes them different. Not unlike the small block V8 powered Silverado I had before this one. I was used to the power curve of a 350. It wasn't until I got comfortable winding the Vortec over 3000 rpms that I found its power. It just took a different driving style than I was used to.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:40 AM

The Allison is not sucking as much power as you guys think. I have dynoed my ZF6 truck with the same tune as in my buddys allison truck. Peak HP numbers where within 5hp. The Allison does not drag down the power till you get over 3000rpm. My truck with the stock tune will out tow my buddys 03 HO CTD. He was shocked. I get good milage. I drove 500 miles to Schieds. Sled pulled twice, Street raced a load mouth ricer, did several 4th gear burners and drove 500 miles home. True hand figure milage 17.6mpg. My buddys CTD does get better milage but not a lot better. About 1 per gallon. He doesnt drive it on a near 500rwhp tune everyday either I do. All the Dodge guys at work used to pick on me and my V8 diesel. Funny thing is they dont say much any more. When it came time to hook to the sled none them showed up to pull. They came just to watch! After seeing what my V8 will do first hand they got real quite. Truth is both are great trucks Both have good things and bad things and both run hard.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LBZ Power
Lil dog,
I think you'll see lower numbers with the new Dodge 6.7, stick vs auto also. Reason is you can program an automatic to defuel during shifts allowing converter and clutches a chance to lock up or grab. Sticks if you don't take your foot of the accelerator, between shift with a heavy load it is probably just to hard on 5th or 6th gear with higher torque. Most D'max with 6spd auto put down 570tq, 540 would be if you can't lock out 4th on the dyno run.
Well I was using the numbers I was familiar with on most dyno runs I have seen. Most, if not all, autos come in at around 5% more driveline loss due to the HP taken by the pump, TC and more rotating accessories internally. Torque calculations on inertia type dynos are not always accurate if you hit them hard. They have improved the Allisons performance (thankfully) but losses are tough to overcome no matter how good the TC is.

If you are not taking your foot out of the throttle with a stick between shifts (I hope thats a typo ) you need to buy an auto. DC stepped up with their version of the dual mass flywheel and allowed full torque to be an option and keep the trend from back in the mid 90's with similar if not more power available with manual trannies.

What does the 6.7 hold for the future? Well the 325/610 rating is a good start, but you have to think that is a very conservative rating. Even with the old ISB 24V (non-CR) the industrial ratings were much higher than the Dodge version offered with over 600 Ft-lbs right out of the box. I am hoping for good things but with every change, reliability becomes the question. As I would think the DMX or PSD crowd is also tentative about. If you actually check out the link to the 6.7 it is now advertised to debut at 350hp and 650 tq. The industrial ISB rates at 325hp and 750 FT-LBs.. Hmmmm...

Has the DMX proven itself? I think so. Now the decision is more than just paper, its what you actually want to drive and your personal preference on driving style. Before now, GM's diesel was the red-headed stepchild in the power race.. Would I trade my old 12V for a DMX? No. Mechanical power is just too much fun, and keeping up to all these new shiney trucks is just plain fun. Especially once they figure out how old the truck is.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People are slow to figure out that the allison 1000 is not the Jesus of transmissions. I've been saying this for over a year now. I'm not saying it's junk, not at all. BUT, it is probably not the most reliable auto trans available in a diesel pickup truck, and it's certainly expensive to fix if it breaks out of warranty.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:51 AM

Yeah, my cousin bought into the hype in the mags as well. Not too smart. Seems the real world is the best test. If anyone on here likes the LBZ so much he has a mint 2006 LBZ 4wd crew long box for sale. It has stainless boards and some other nice cosmetics along with a B&W turnover with 5th companion. It's a nice looking truck for sure but it won't pull the film off of rice pudding. He is going back to Dodge. He wanted his 04.5 back but the GM dealer is using it to tow their car trailer with. He thought it was pretty ironic and asked them why. They told him because it pulls hard and gets way better mileage doing it then their Duranotsogreatatpulling does. He sure does like the auto and how it runs out empty but unfortunatley that don't cut it out here where we have mountains and you need to pull heavy loads of bales, equipment, etc. It's a hard country out here and your truck needs to be harder that's all. It used to be all GM and Ford for ranching, logging and farming but in the last couple years it's all Dodge. Even the weekenders are switching. I did.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
If you actually check out the link to the 6.7 it is now advertised to debut at 350hp and 650 tq.
Those are the numbers for the Auto, The stick gets lower numbers. So with the Cummins, most buy the stick (Well at least with the 5.9L) and will be getting cheated. Tradionally, the auto has been shyed away from in the past, the new auto may change this.

Based on the proven DNA of the 5.9-liter Cummins turbo-diesel engine, the new 6.7-liter engine is 50-percent quieter, while featuring a 107mm bore by 124mm stroke (versus 102mm bore by 120mm stroke for the 5.9-liter engine). The new engine retains more than 40 percent of its components from the 5.9-liter engine and shares more than 80 percent of its components with the new Dodge Ram chassis cab.

Offered for the first time in Dodge Ram Heavy Duty trucks are features including an integrated exhaust brake, standard Electronic Range Select (ERS) and “Smart” tow/haul controls that provide customers flexibility and increased safety when towing heavy loads.

Enhancing diesel-powered performance of 2007 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty trucks is an electronically-controlled Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT), which precisely matches boost pressure with the engine’s needs. The 6.7-liter engine’s VGT utilizes 16 fixed vanes and a sliding yoke, providing variable geometry, as well as an electric valve. The VGT produces optimum combustion control, reduced emissions and a quiet and lag-free throttle response.

Decreasing NOx emissions is a next-generation cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system. The Cummins 6.7-liter engine’s EGR system is water cooled, with the air reintroduced into the intake system, keeping turbo and intercooler components clean, which increases the engine’s durability.

Within the 6.7-liter Dodge Ram Heavy Duty exhaust system, reducing particulate matter is achieved through a self-cleaning Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). The muffler is isolated from the emissions control system, therefore customers may remove the muffler without violating emissions compliance. The emissions system is designed for a government-certified 120,000 miles.

As durable as it is powerful, the Cummins 6.7-liter turbo-diesel engine has life-to-major overhaul intervals of 350,000 miles, providing more than a 100,000-mile advantage over the competition.

New engine mounts, a constrained-layered oil pan, intake silencer and engine-block shield create a quiet cabin environment inside the 2007 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty. In addition, an over-running alternator pulley eliminates sounds generated from the diesel-engine shut down process, and machined crankshaft counter weights significantly contribute to quiet acceleration.

First-ever Optional Exhaust Brake
For the first time in a Dodge Ram Heavy Duty truck, an integrated exhaust brake is available direct from the factory. Utilizing the 6.7-liter Cummins turbo-diesel engine’s new turbocharger, the exhaust brake significantly improves control when towing heavy applications, such as pulling RV fifth wheels and horse trailers, providing added control and brake savings by transforming horsepower into braking power.

“Towing and hauling capability is critical for our customers, as more than 90 percent of Dodge Ram Heavy Duty customers tow with their truck,” said Kunselman.

Benefits of the exhaust brake include:

Increased vehicle control to provide the owner additional peace of mind when towing
Enhanced safety by reducing overheating and fading of brakes on downhill grades
Lower cost of ownership, extending brake life by as much as three times
Capability for faster cold-weather cab warming
The 2007 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty’s 6.7-liter Cummins turbo-diesel engine’s VGT is capable of creating the maximum exhaust restriction through a wide range of operating speeds, improving braking performance at low and high engine speeds. Testing has shown more than a 30 percent improvement in retarding torque at 2000 rpm compared with traditional brake exhaust methods.

Six-speed Automatic Transmission with Electronic Range Select (ERS)
Mated to the 6.7-liter Cummins turbo-diesel engine is a new six-speed 68RFE automatic transmission, which delivers optimum fuel economy and performance. A new Electronic Range Select (ERS) system is integrated with the transmission, enabling customers to select desired gears that match driving conditions.

The new six-speed automatic transmission features a best-in-class gear ratio spread of 5.16:1, allowing for superior launch capability. The sixth gear, also known as the second overdrive gear, provides an extremely low rpm at highway speeds, improving Dodge Ram Heavy Duty’s fuel economy and passenger comfort. In addition, an added compounder and two clutches provide optimal shift quality, improved quietness and durability.

The transmission’s new ERS system complements the 2007 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty’s tow/haul mode, allowing for driver-actuated gear selection with a shifter-mounted switch. ERS provides greater control in unique driving conditions, such as towing heavy loads on severe inclines. The system includes electronic safeguards to prevent shifting that could cause engine damage.

Towing/Hauling
In addition to more horsepower and torque, Dodge Ram Heavy Duty boasts towing capability of 16,400 lbs., a payload of 5,020 lbs. and Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 23,000 lbs. and 12,200 lbs., respectively.

The 2007 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty provides a combination of standard and optional features that make towing easier, such as a Class IV hitch receiver with a seven-circuit wiring harness, 750-amp battery, heavy-duty engine cooling and an auxiliary transmission oil cooler.

Distinctive trailer-tow mirrors featured on Dodge Ram Heavy Duty trucks offer a large rear-viewing area that may be customized to drivers’ needs and preferences. Mirrors provide two views on both sides: close-up and wide-out. In addition, mirrors flip up 90 degrees for viewing beyond wide trailers.

2007 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty Cummins 6.7-liter Turbo-diesel Engine Details

Engine
6.7L 107mm bore x 124mm stroke
High swirl (2.4 DCS) combustion system
17.2:1 Compression ratio
Machined crankshaft counter weights
Viscous vibration damper

Air Handling
VGT – sliding nozzle (16 vane to eliminate turbine blade pass whistle)
Cooled EGR with cold-side EGR valve
Air inlet throttle
EGR cooler bypass
CCV with coalescing filter

Oil system
Tested with low ash oil API CJ4 (PC10)
Drain interval – 7500 miles
Total capacity – 13 qts on initial fill
Sump capacity – 9 qts low, 11 qts high
Typical oil change capacity – 12 qts
Dump to sump to provide oil pressure quicker
Constrained layer oil pan to reduce transmitted noise

Fuel system
Bosch 3rd generation common rail system
7 micron spin on filter
Tested with ultra low sulfur fuel – 15 ppm
Approved for bio-diesel fuel

Cooling system
Molded composite impeller for improved coolant flow

Electronics
CM2100 ECM
Double the CPU processing speed (40 to 80 MHz)
40% increase in memory

NVH
Constrained layer oil pan
Over running alternator pulley (eliminate shut down squeal)
Intake silencer
Machined crankshaft counter weights
Combustion system (multi injection events)
Block shields
Pulleys modified to reduce ‘speaker’ effect
Stuffer between transmission adapter and pan
Viscous vibration damper

Specifications

ENGINE: 6.7-LITER High Output CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL I-6

Availability_________________________________ Opt.—2500, 3500; available Jan. 1, 2007
Type and Description________________ Six-cylinder, inline, liquid-cooled, turbocharged, intercooled
Displacement______________________________________ ___ 408 cu. in. (6690 cu. cm)
Bore x Stroke__________________________________________ 4.21 x 4.88 (107 x 124)
Valve System________________________________________ OHV, 24 valves, solid lifters
Fuel Injection__________________________________ Electronic high-pressure common rail
Construction______________________________________ ____ Cast-iron block and head
Compression Ratio_____________________________________________ _____ 17.3:1
Power (SAE net)____________________________________ 350 bhp (261 kW) @ 3,000 rpm
Torque (SAE net)____________________ 650 lb.-ft. (881 N•m) @ 1,500 rpm w/6-spd. automatic; 610 lb.-ft. (827 N•m) @ 1,400 rpm w/6-spd. manual
Maximum High-idle Engine Speed______________________________________ 3,500 rpm
Fuel Requirement_______________________________________ _ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel
Oil Capacity__________________________________________ _ 12 qt. (11.3L) with filter
Coolant Capacity__________________________________________ ___ 29.5 qt. (28.0L)
Emission Controls_________________ Exhaust after-treatment systems and internal engine features

TRANSMISSION: 68RFE Orion—AUTOMATIC, SIX-SPEED

Availability_______________________ Opt. with 6.7L turbo diesel engine; available Jan. 1, 2007
Description______________________ Three planetary gear sets, one overrunning clutch, full electronic control, electronically controlled converter clutch
Gear Ratios
__ 1st_______________________________________________ ___________ 3.231
__ 2nd_______________________________________________ __________ 1.837
__ 3rd_______________________________________________ ___________ 1.410
__ 4th_______________________________________________ ____________ 1.0
__ 5th_______________________________________________ ___________ 0.816
__ 6th_______________________________________________ ___________ 0.625
__ Reverse___________________________________________ ____________ 4.444
Overall Top Gear Ratio____________________ 2.33 with 3.73 axle ratio; 2.56 with 4.10 axle ratio
Old 10-06-2006, 02:50 PM

can i get his name and number, i know of a guy looking for just that, we live next door to montana so we can come on down in the next few weeks and take a look at it, thanks again

Originally Posted by staarma
Yeah, my cousin bought into the hype in the mags as well. Not too smart. Seems the real world is the best test. If anyone on here likes the LBZ so much he has a mint 2006 LBZ 4wd crew long box for sale. It has stainless boards and some other nice cosmetics along with a B&W turnover with 5th companion. It's a nice looking truck for sure but it won't pull the film off of rice pudding. He is going back to Dodge. He wanted his 04.5 back but the GM dealer is using it to tow their car trailer with. He thought it was pretty ironic and asked them why. They told him because it pulls hard and gets way better mileage doing it then their Duranotsogreatatpulling does. He sure does like the auto and how it runs out empty but unfortunatley that don't cut it out here where we have mountains and you need to pull heavy loads of bales, equipment, etc. It's a hard country out here and your truck needs to be harder that's all. It used to be all GM and Ford for ranching, logging and farming but in the last couple years it's all Dodge. Even the weekenders are switching. I did.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:53 PM

i have put my allison threw more hell than most, truck is comming up to 300k and other than the first hp upgrade done to it,(tq converter, shift kit different cluthes from suncoast) it has never been touched ...
Old 10-06-2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by JOHNBOY6.6
The Allison is not sucking as much power as you guys think. I have dynoed my ZF6 truck with the same tune as in my buddys allison truck. Peak HP numbers where within 5hp. The Allison does not drag down the power till you get over 3000rpm. My truck with the stock tune will out tow my buddys 03 HO CTD. He was shocked. I get good milage. I drove 500 miles to Schieds. Sled pulled twice, Street raced a load mouth ricer, did several 4th gear burners and drove 500 miles home. True hand figure milage 17.6mpg. My buddys CTD does get better milage but not a lot better. About 1 per gallon. He doesnt drive it on a near 500rwhp tune everyday either I do. All the Dodge guys at work used to pick on me and my V8 diesel. Funny thing is they dont say much any more. When it came time to hook to the sled none them showed up to pull. They came just to watch! After seeing what my V8 will do first hand they got real quite. Truth is both are great trucks Both have good things and bad things and both run hard.
Well said, the DMax is a good truck.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by fredw
can i get his name and number, i know of a guy looking for just that, we live next door to montana so we can come on down in the next few weeks and take a look at it, thanks again

PM sent. Thanks.

Quick Reply: drove 06 duramax for a week