Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Is the Cummins still the best?? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/cummins-still-best-297021/)

13FOX 11-10-2011 10:02 AM

Deffinately don't see many used CTD's on the car lots! If they are, got at least over 200k miles.

Polaraco 11-10-2011 11:42 AM

May sound like I'm gloating. . .

Ever notice the caliper or the people that own the other trucks and us Dodge owners?

We seem to know what we're doing

9812vram 11-10-2011 03:49 PM

Arguably, the PeeStroke[yuk] has probably come the farthest of all the big three. Their HEUI system mated with modern electronics is really quite the thing! The Duramax is good, but it seems that as mentioned earlier, the early ones were the best. As far as Cummins, the mid-range ones were best. 12V p-pumper is simply the best - this is not due to electronics though. It's emissions that's ruining our engines!!!!
I don't think we Cummins guys have much to worry about as far as who's the best. The I6 diesel engine is tried tested and true. The V8 diesel however.... Well, I've never really seen a good one. Lots of them out there but they just don't have the same rep as the inline especially when they need to lug. We may not have the most HP, bla bla bla, but at the end of the day, the Cummins is pretty hard to beat. Even if you want to talk HP and TQ, the Mighty Big C is always at or near the top of the list! And they can handle more power per cubic inch than the other two with no internal mods. Of the big three, Cummins has the best balance of Reliability, Efficiency, Repair Economy, Simplicity and Power.

When PeeStroke and Isuzumax make an Industrial I6 version of their engines, us boy's are going to have some stiff competition! Until then, just smile and kinda wink your eye when one of them other guys gets a loose lip about their phord or chebbie diesels!:D

Polaraco 11-10-2011 04:32 PM

I agree

Izusu and International will never make an industrial engine. Cat and Cummins have that tied up.

I've heard so little about Detroit, are they still cranking out motors? They were good too, but they leaked.

signature600 11-10-2011 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Polaraco (Post 3040588)
I agree

Izusu and International will never make an industrial engine. Cat and Cummins have that tied up.

I've heard so little about Detroit, are they still cranking out motors? They were good too, but they leaked.

International makes a darn fine industrial engine, although it was better without electronics....DT466 and bigger now.

Isuzu also makes a few very good ones from 4 cylinders up to the bigger 7.8L engine that also shares the Duramax name.

Detroit is now owned my Diamler-Benz, and makes plenty of engines, along side their counterpart Mercedes. DD13, DD15, MBE4000...just to name a couple.

It's not that the other engines that GM and Ford decided to use are bad, but they are designed for light duty use. The 5.9L/6.7L and Dodge was lucky enough to grab all those years ago was, and still is used in applications requiring much higher duty cycles.

Chris

Polaraco 11-10-2011 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by signature600 (Post 3040628)
International makes a darn fine industrial engine, although it was better without electronics....DT466 and bigger now.

Isuzu also makes a few very good ones from 4 cylinders up to the bigger 7.8L engine that also shares the Duramax name.

Detroit is now owned my Diamler-Benz, and makes plenty of engines, along side their counterpart Mercedes. DD13, DD15, MBE4000...just to name a couple.

It's not that the other engines that GM and Ford decided to use are bad, but they are designed for light duty use. The 5.9L/6.7L and Dodge was lucky enough to grab all those years ago was, and still is used in applications requiring much higher duty cycles.

Chris

I need to correct what I said

I meant to say they will never make it BIG in the industrial engine market. I was in distraction when I wrote that.

I have seen the Isuzu engins on small machines, but never in large applications.

Daimler will kill Detroit like they did Chrysler. However, talking to my dealer today, Chrysler is a better company than it ever has been now, according to him. Fiat isn't even a player there yet

Don T 11-10-2011 08:45 PM

I got all the truck I will ever need with my 95 2nd gen. A number 10 plate and the 3000 rpm governor spring. Pulls just fine towing my fiver. I would love a few extras like air but , it gets the job done for me ! The single billet TC should have put that in when I bought the truck.

RAMRODD 11-10-2011 10:09 PM

There is a guy here on DTR that has a 6.7 cummins with over 360K and running strong.

It's just going to take some time for 6.7 owners to get to a 1/2 million miles plus.[coffee]

Polaraco 11-10-2011 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD (Post 3040746)
There is a guy here on DTR that has a 6.7 cummins with over 360K and running strong.

It's just going to take some time for 6.7 owners to get to a 1/2 million miles plus.[coffee]

According to Cummins, that is the end of the life expectancy of the 6.7. Of course that's WITH all these useless emission controls.

The 6.7 is built with better tolerances and materials than the 5.9 according to Cummins. I don't see that 6.7 self destructing before 600K. they outdid themselves on this one. . .they just did a horse manure job on the emisions. I am almost meeting those specs on a sniff test now! If I put the cat back in, I might exceed them.

It can be done and get better mileage at the same time.

Hey Cummins. . . Take your EGR gas after the DPF. LOL

Brian08Q35004x4 11-10-2011 11:12 PM

We need to feed back and get them to make them so we can change things like injectors without a starscan. Talk about antitrust.You may be able to change a water pump but goodness pelosi we need to get these corporate thieves on a noose. How about Marko or the H&S gang adding this feature. Thousand bucks at the local dealer for a single injector. If you got some bad fuel and wreck the pump and injectors it be at least 12k. Crazy In the future there will not be any beater farm trucks as they will be too expensive to repair and a new truck well won't be in the budget[dummy][duhhh]!

Polaraco 11-11-2011 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Brian08Q35004x4 (Post 3040771)
We need to feed back and get them to make them so we can change things like injectors without a starscan. Talk about antitrust.You may be able to change a water pump but goodness pelosi we need to get these corporate thieves on a noose. How about Marko or the H&S gang adding this feature. Thousand bucks at the local dealer for a single injector. If you got some bad fuel and wreck the pump and injectors it be at least 12k. Crazy In the future there will not be any beater farm trucks as they will be too expensive to repair and a new truck well won't be in the budget[dummy][duhhh]!

unfortunately, the gov ernment mandated Can Buss since 06. You're stuck with it. But I share your sentiments

Hvytrkmech 11-11-2011 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Polaraco (Post 3040588)
I agree

Isuzu, Kubota, Cat, Cummins, International all make industrial engines. Refers on the older trailers used Isuzu engines with great reliability, they also use Kubota, and Yanmar engines with great reliability.

Cat engineered, developed, implemented the HEUI sytem. International Leased the rights and had awesome success with it, the ONLY reason it is not being used in new equipment is due to emissions. The 7.3 Powerstroke was every bit and in some cases more reliable than the mighty Cummins. The biggest downfall with the Powerstroke was the lack of training and knowledge of the techs that threw parts at them.

Factually, until Cummins came out with the N14 they were all know as Cumaparts, hmmm I wonder why.

Detroit?? they took the prize with the series 60 and everyone else was chasing them down. The Cat 3406E was next in reliability then the N14, but the later N14's took the prize prior to the implementation of the tier 2 emissions standard, then it did not matter what you bought, they were ALL junk.

As of late for pick up truck engines, if you want the least amount of trouble get a Duramax. Say what you like but their warranty claims are a third of the others.

At the end of the day none of this matters, if its a female, burns gas or diesel you will have problems with it. [laugh]

Nuff said.

Polaraco 11-11-2011 08:07 AM

Tim

I reworded that sentance. You missed that.

It must be a regional thing then. . . Or maybe by occupation. In the work I did for 20 years, all I saw was Cat and Cummins. Detroit rarely appeared.

I was involved allot with Power Generation and remote pumping applications.

It depends on the application. Cummins and Cat are the engines of choice with engineers in my world.

Never ever saw an international engine in a stationary diesel application

My neighbor is a diesel tech at the local Chevy dealership. He has allot of nightmare stories, especially with the emissions. But he also tells me a stock Cummins will out pull a Max. He drives a '10 2500

89dieselkong 11-11-2011 08:24 AM

I almost bought a Duramax right before my '06. For some reason I felt like I was cheating on Dodge/Cummins having already owned 2 of them. Sat in an '06 Ford but had that weird feeling come over me like I might be making a big mistake, Started it up and saw white smoke. Probably nothing, but enough to scare me away. Big thing for me is the ease at which the home mechanic can work on these. My '89 was the easiest (for a first timer especially[duhhh]) Even the injectors on the '06 were as easy as the other two. It just seems in comparison tests that the Cummins always ends up chasing the other two in towing and power. Not that any of it really matters since most of us don't tow at WOT up and down monster hills and such, but it does advertise a "not as good" image for those that don't know. For me the true selling point of the Dodge/Cummins plant was the first winter after I bought my '89. My knowledge consisted of I bought an old grey truck with and I6 diesel because that was all I could afford. However, after sitting in the parking lot at work on a cold New England winter (in the single digits) the old trusty 150,000 mile rusty, Cummins fired off without a glitch while all the new (2005 at the time) F-550 6.0 powerstrokes sat there cranking and cranking away. Could've been driver error, but from that point on I knew I had made the right choice.

patdaly 11-11-2011 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Brian08Q35004x4 (Post 3040771)
In the future there will not be any beater farm trucks as they will be too expensive to repair and a new truck well won't be in the budget[dummy][duhhh]!

Eh, we will just start P-Pumping them.............:cowboy: