Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Cummins out towing a Dmax vid....... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/cummins-out-towing-dmax-vid-248862/)

pwrtripls1 07-31-2009 11:42 PM

Cummins out towing a Dmax vid.......

I picked this up on another forum I'm on and couldn't resist, even if it means I'm picking on myself a little. lol

Enjoy the pulling power of the cummins vs. Dmax. Also the retardedness of the Dmax owner. Seems most guys I talk to on the Dmax forums have a firm view that your engine coolant temp has nothing to do with your EGT's. A stock LLY Dmax WILL run 1300-1350* pre turbo with a lot of throttle. I.E. a heavy load uphill. Well when you run 1300-1350* EGT's for 5-10 minutes strait then yes you are going to overheat like crazy. You MUST have a better intake, especialy for an LLY Dmax, and a free flowing exhaust. Then with 1050-1100* EGT's overheating shouldnt be an issue. Well most of those guys think I'm crazy and you should be able to run 1350* all day and not get hot.[duhhh]

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...htm#commentTop

deerslayer1979 08-01-2009 12:00 AM

HAHA, The D-max will make power I dont deny that, but I've known all along using that power was the challenge! I don't feel bad for him, he bought a grocery getter and thinks its a work truck.
DS79

peobryant 08-01-2009 12:21 AM

Seen this video a long time ago. There have been a few threads about it, but I think they were all closed.

I still wish it was an old 1st Gen that he couldn't keep up with. :cool:

TexasCTD 08-01-2009 12:49 AM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....html?t=132131

This is old news. TXChristopher joined DTR and made some comments here on this thread listed above. He is the guy talking in the video. I believe he sued GM and won and used this video in court.

MikeyB 08-01-2009 06:05 AM

Yep, Chris won the lawsuit against GM.

The issue was do to with the Duramax cooling system, not EGTs. Would overheat during towing and go into limp mode. A poor design for that model version cause airflow issues though the cooling stack up.

I tow over that same stretch of highway and my Cummins would get to around 210-215 degrees during the summer.

MikeyB

pwrtripls1 08-01-2009 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD (Post 2541118)
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....html?t=132131

This is old news. TXChristopher joined DTR and made some comments here on this thread listed above. He is the guy talking in the video. I believe he sued GM and won and used this video in court.

I guess I'm a little slow. lol I still wish he had a pyro to see how high the EGT's were while pulling stock. These LLY's have a tiny turbo inlet pipe. The turbo intake pipe gets choked down to a bent 2.5". How is a 300+hp turbo diesel supposed to breath and keep EGT's down while trying to suck through a tiny 2.5" hole?

I'm no mechanical engineer but you would think that would starve the engine of air. Which in turn would make the VVT close the vanes more trying to build more boost and get more air into the engine. But without being able to draw more air in the vanes closing would only create more back pressure, more heat, and higher EGT's. I wonder if anyone has ever put a good flowing LBZ turbo inlet and a cold air intake or an aftermarket non VVT on an LLY and overheated it.

rich 08-01-2009 02:28 PM

i run that stretch all the time never see over 210 towing 18k

pwrtripls1 08-02-2009 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by rich (Post 2541439)
i run that stretch all the time never see over 210 towing 18k

Wow, you go thru trucks pretty fast. Were they all minor problems like pumps when they quit or were they catastrofic failure?

rich 08-03-2009 12:43 PM

no most of them just wear out the 03 and 07 where the ones with engine problems mainly caused by the injectors

1slo_MM 08-05-2009 12:50 PM

Wow I think thats hilarious!!!

Lil Dog 08-05-2009 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by pwrtripls1 (Post 2541426)
I guess I'm a little slow. lol I still wish he had a pyro to see how high the EGT's were while pulling stock. These LLY's have a tiny turbo inlet pipe. The turbo intake pipe gets choked down to a bent 2.5". How is a 300+hp turbo diesel supposed to breath and keep EGT's down while trying to suck through a tiny 2.5" hole?

I'm no mechanical engineer but you would think that would starve the engine of air. Which in turn would make the VVT close the vanes more trying to build more boost and get more air into the engine. But without being able to draw more air in the vanes closing would only create more back pressure, more heat, and higher EGT's. I wonder if anyone has ever put a good flowing LBZ turbo inlet and a cold air intake or an aftermarket non VVT on an LLY and overheated it.

I have been following this as well as my biz partner has an LLY and gets hot. We noticed that the intake plumbing was shrunk down from the LB7 series engine as his Air shutoff valve wouldn't fit, pipes on the LLY were too small! It seems to us, after extensive reading that its a coupling of heat soaking of the intercooler and the inefficient turbo system (turbo, tubing and intercooler). Once you start heat soaking the intercooler, it super heats the rad. EGT's start going up from the turbo pushing more boost, intercooler gets hotter, intake air temp goes up, engine water temperature starts going up and then the cycle just keeps going untill something gives. Either the load goes down, or the engine starts to de-rate. Some fixes of cool air intakes and exhaust upgrades help a little, but not enough.

The fellow that sued GM has a fix out that is a secondary rad mounted down low to accomodate extra cooling. We were wondering if the LBZ rads were that much bigger or what, but you could find a LBZ rad at the wreckers and upgrade to that.

duratothemax 08-16-2009 04:47 PM

really? You JUST found this video now????

trev0006 03-07-2010 11:07 PM

Never seen this, thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by pwrtripls1 (Post 2541094)
I picked this up on another forum I'm on and couldn't resist, even if it means I'm picking on myself a little. lol

Enjoy the pulling power of the cummins vs. Dmax. Also the retardedness of the Dmax owner. Seems most guys I talk to on the Dmax forums have a firm view that your engine coolant temp has nothing to do with your EGT's. A stock LLY Dmax WILL run 1300-1350* pre turbo with a lot of throttle. I.E. a heavy load uphill. Well when you run 1300-1350* EGT's for 5-10 minutes strait then yes you are going to overheat like crazy. You MUST have a better intake, especialy for an LLY Dmax, and a free flowing exhaust. Then with 1050-1100* EGT's overheating shouldnt be an issue. Well most of those guys think I'm crazy and you should be able to run 1350* all day and not get hot.[duhhh]

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...htm#commentToptirecar

OneBigDoofus 03-08-2010 11:29 AM

Guy's blocking the left lane the whole time? What a idiot, he's got no bizzness pulling a trailer.

jesussaves 03-09-2010 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by OneBigDoofus (Post 2720156)
Guy's blocking the left lane the whole time? What a idiot, he's got no bizzness pulling a trailer.

great catch