General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

CUMMINGS...Arrgghhh

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry CUMMINGS...Arrgghhh

I work at a car dealer, I was talking with one of the service advisors today and he proceeds to start telling me about this show on TV called "trucks" (like i live in a cave). Told me about this "Cummings" truck that made over 1200 ft lbs on the dyno.....uhhhhh, I just wanted him to go away . I HAD to correct his grammar , he did`nt seem to appreciate my constructive criticism tho, HA HA!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 08:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm somewhat embarassed to say that even my dad say 'ings' after repeated yet subtle corrections on my part. Sadly, he was a heavy equipment wrench for 35 years!!
Old 06-16-2006, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fighting a lossing battle
Old 06-16-2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by CSAGrey1
fighting a lossing battle

Isn't that the truth!

The bad thing is when talking to a fellow Cummins owner, they will say "Cummings", and Cummins is written on their truck for goodness sake! Oh well, what can ya do...
Old 06-16-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just tuned in to ''Megayachts'' or something on HGTV and the ENGINEER on this yacht was proudly telling the camera about his twin 800 HP CUMMINGS engines. Good grief!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like those who continue to pronounce Diesel "DEE-ZUL", it's usually the ones who should know better that just don't get it...

I've heard a bunch of wrenches and truckers say "Cummings", guys who know a lot more about the things then I do...
Old 06-16-2006, 09:32 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by Begle1
Like those who continue to pronounce Diesel "DEE-ZUL", it's usually the ones who should know better that just don't get it...

I've heard a bunch of wrenches and truckers say "Cummings", guys who know a lot more about the things then I do...
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?diesel01.wav=diesel

aint that what he said?

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/cummings or better yet, go into a discussion about unorthadox typography and punctuation..
Old 06-17-2006, 01:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Man I could go on foever on this thread. A lot depends on where you are from and education has something to do with it. First thing is, no one alive is perfect. And unless you are in the particular religion, nothing is sacried. A close friend and coworker puts an "L" in the word Chiminey. That's right, chimmly. We has whenders to warsh, and every man is "boy". He is just to darn big to argue with. The paper things in between flanges are gaskins, not gaskets and yawl is proper english for youse guys. He doesn't ask if you have eaten. Jeeat? No, jew? Naw, skgo. Gotta love it, it's America.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:09 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
I suspect that it has more to do with education that anything else. Maybe these are the same folks that persist is saying "me and Joe". Whatever happened to good English?
Or could it just be the lower class that say things like that?
Old 06-17-2006, 01:12 PM

Cummins Cummings, what does it really matter? What about stores stating they will not "except checks"?
Old 06-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by PsRumors
Cummins Cummings, what does it really matter? What about stores stating they will not "except checks"?
That's nothing. I saw a sign in a fast food restaurant that was so bad I had to take a picture. It said "On behave of Wendy's as the General Manager of Aston, I (offenders name witheld) would like to say congratulations to the owners of the business cards who have won the drawling."
Old 06-17-2006, 02:47 PM

Winders came from wind-doors before we had glass. Kinda makes window sound weird. Yeah I've been alive for several centuries.
But Cummings? Those Forg owners will never understand.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:40 PM

The greatest is seeing a huge CUMMINGS window banner or decal on the truck.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Timmay2
The greatest is seeing a huge CUMMINGS window banner or decal on the truck.
The best is seeing it and hearing someone say "Hey, they left out the G!"
Old 06-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Chapter President

Now, yall yanks know we talk different down here!! I think it has to do with the slower pace down here in Dixie, at least it used to be slower. Got a bunch of transplants movin in bringin their high brow attitudes with them, wantin that walgreens and gas stations on every corner. Turning every piece of farm land into another shopping center that has nobody to rent to. They keep building these business parks around here, one is 500+ acres and it was supposed to be a big deal. In 4.5 years they have one building there. There is another north of me that has no buildings and one more I think has a ryder place for saturn. Welp, gotta head out yonder to the back 40 and take care of some goats.....better put on my big boots!

Quick Reply: CUMMINGS...Arrgghhh