General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Crashed the truck yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Some where I faintly remember reading that the Hydro formed frame is difficult to do major straightning and repair to. Maybe that was the final straw for the ajuster?
Old 08-24-2006, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingofdodge7131
Well heres my stupidity for they day. stopped at the local wal mart, they knocked out 1/2 the handicap spots, cut the steal post off but left the 2 ft cement pole, i pulled in wife decided to go to menards, no cars in front or to the sides of me but a line behind so i go forward and bunch bang, with a look of what the heck on my face i back up and hear a tin ding on the ground my licensepate just hit the ground haha big ole V in the bumper. pulled the sides away from the wheel well liners, i pulled the plastic top off hoping it wouldnt warp. think i saved that but the steel is obviously gone, anyone know what they get for these at the dealers? Lucky enough it didnt get into the condeser radiator or anything. i got lucky for my stupidity.

Sounds like time for a full front replacement bumper/cow pusher to me.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by donhov
Some where I faintly remember reading that the Hydro formed frame is difficult to do major straightning and repair to. Maybe that was the final straw for the ajuster?
When my truck was hit, I was told by my body shop that the frame had to be in a certain range of how far it was out. I can't remember what it was, but I was fortunate enough that the frame was fine.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by durasmack
Sounds like time for a full front replacement bumper/cow pusher to me.
Thats what I was gonna suggest. Ranch Hand Legend/Bull Bar.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:40 PM

I have been in plenty of wrecks and totaled a few rigs in my short time here on earth. Some my fault, some the fault of others. Not that I am proud of it but I can relate.
I don't know what the laws are in your state but here you can take it to whatever body shop you want if the adjuster hasn't totaled it. I am guessing that with $20,000 your looking at an all out total. Buy the truclk back for pennies and part it out.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm surprised that the state trooper made any estimate at all. I don't see that as their job-they aren't mechanics or bodyshop repair personnel...anyway, here in AL, if the damage total is 75% of the vehicle value or more, it must be totaled. I had a case one time where a lady pulled out in front of me, and I almost managed to avoid her. I clipped her on the left rear corner, and it bent my left front fender and bumper. This was on a 1986 ramcharger with a big block in it. They tried to total it out! I kicked up a fuss, and got a $1700 check instead-far more than enough to fix it. No way in hell were they gonna take MY truck, big block and all. I mean, it didn't even knock it out of ALIGNMENT and they were gonna total it.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:38 AM

My buddy wants to total his neon SRT-4 because he can't afford to drive it anymore...I told him to wait until the snow flies and come around a corner...give 'er a little e-brake and slide it into a tele pole right on the b-pillar. any better ideas? being its a $20,000 sport compact i think it might be kinda hard to do.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:55 AM

I understand totaling out the truck for CarFax reasons. No one wants to buy a vehicle that has been in a wreck in the past, fault or no fault. What I am surprised at is how an 8000# truck hits a 4200# suv, and the Dodge has that much front end damage. F=m*v^2 is what I learned in Physics. That Bmw should have leveled. Glad to see both of you are okay. I guess it is time for me to put a ranch hand on my truck now.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by SuperDiesel
I understand totaling out the truck for CarFax reasons. No one wants to buy a vehicle that has been in a wreck in the past, fault or no fault. What I am surprised at is how an 8000# truck hits a 4200# suv, and the Dodge has that much front end damage. F=m*v^2 is what I learned in Physics. That Bmw should have leveled. Glad to see both of you are okay. I guess it is time for me to put a ranch hand on my truck now.

Remember the front ends are sometimes designed to take the impact and crumple instead distributing it throughout the truck.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
IIRC the repair estimate has to be 60% or greater of the vehicles value in order for it to be totaled. Just had a poor fellow with an 05 Toy 4Runner go thru this, I really felt for the guy...his ride will never be the same. Good luck with you INS co. dealings and i hope everyone is OK injurywise.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Chapter President

Believe it or not, by just looking at the two vehicles, it appears that I took most of the damage. I hit the rear right quarter of her SUV. She was moving from L to R in front of me. The force went mostly into spinning her around. Made my front end look as though I hit a 4' tall tree stump. I wasn't injured but she was taken to the hospital with abdominal pain.

I've just gotten home from WV picking up a 4x4 2500 white two tone Mega Cab auto. will fill out the sig tomorrow.

Jamie

Originally Posted by SuperDiesel
Old 08-28-2006, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those BMW's are built to the hilt. Very well designed and engineered. I saw an X5 rollover about 3 or 4 times and I was amazed at how little damage was done to the vehicle... And that's why my wife drives one...
Old 08-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by deezeldude
My buddy wants to total his neon SRT-4 because he can't afford to drive it anymore...I told him to wait until the snow flies and come around a corner...give 'er a little e-brake and slide it into a tele pole right on the b-pillar. any better ideas? being its a $20,000 sport compact i think it might be kinda hard to do.
Better ideas? Yeah, tell your buddy to sell the stinking car. Doing so requires a lot less insurance fraud, which *IS* a felony.

- JyRO
Old 08-28-2006, 11:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah, goin to jail over a car (or anything else for that matter) is kinda silly. Had an aquaintance "try" something like that...it was all bad AND she still wound up stuck with the car.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Collision damage is high dollar these days.

Last year, a female driver ran a stop sign in her van right in front of my son & I in the '98 Ram and got every piece of sheetmetal on the passenger side - insurance totaled it out at $15K plus, yet I drove it 25 miles back to the shop with just the spare tire mounted...

If you saw it, you'd probably never guess it'd be that much to repair.

Her van, from the cowl forward, disappeared into hyperspace and hasn't been seen since...

The only injuries sustained were to my wallet - ten's of K's of $$$ worth.

Quick Reply: Crashed the truck yesterday