General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Crashed the truck yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crashed the truck yesterday

yeah.

A BMW X-5 SUV thought it could run a stop sign and cross the road in front of me. Funny thing I noticed, I hit the BMW going about 40mph and neither mine nor the BMWs air bags went off. Pretty much totaled my front end. Sorry no pics, only took some with my phone. BMW took the hit on the rear passenger side quarter panel messing it up pretty good as well. Looking back at it now, the lady's car didn't have as much damage as my truck but she did wind up spinning a full 360* and off the road in the ditch. Unfortunately she was rushed to the hospital. No word yet.
State trooper estimated my damage at 20K. Don't know yet if they will total out my truck or start fixing it. According to the DC collision center it's at, the Tech is also responsible for the estimate of the damage?? I was told to get a second opinion on the damage estimate.

Current vehicle is a rental, 4.7L 06 Dodge Dakota QC 2wd auto that drives and has the power of a 4 banger!!!

any thoughts anyone?

Jamie
Old 08-04-2006, 05:02 PM

sorry to hear about that!
Old 08-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by LanceD
sorry to hear about that!
I know... u should've heard and felt it too . This is my first full speed crash, and it really does sound and look the same as on TV!!
Old 08-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Banned

I hit a Grand Am with my '99 a few years back. Idiot crossed in front of me in an intersection. Hit him on the passenger side behind the rear wheel at about 25mph. Took his bumper clean off and the trunk was about 60% it's normal size!!! He did a 360 also!! I had about 3k worth of damage. Also the stupid jerk who crossed in front of me had 2 small children in car seats in the back seat. Had I t-boned them, I may have killed one or both kidlets!!
Old 08-04-2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jmac
any thoughts anyone?
Yes, supercharge that gasser
Ok, might not be an option

Glad nothing bad happened to you and that lady, everything else can be replaced. I guess your hands are still shaking while thinking about that crash. That lady and you can thank god that you weren´t faster.

If your truck is a wreck, get at least the engine out if it´s in ok shape
Old 08-05-2006, 03:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jamie,

Sorry to hear about your wreck!!! Hope you can get your truck fixed and get back on the road with a minimum of hassle. Hopefully the lady is ok too.

You might ask 05MXDIESEL about his wreck. Had you been hit.......instead of hit her.........your truck might look something like this. I feel much safer in my truck than any car or smaller truck thanks to pictures like this one. He was tboned about 50 mph by a mid size car.

Old 08-05-2006, 10:43 AM

the body shop will need to appraise the truck, the insurance adjuster from the others party may wnt to come and look at the truck to make sure the quote i in line.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by DMcPherson
the body shop will need to appraise the truck, the insurance adjuster from the others party may wnt to come and look at the truck to make sure the quote i in line.
I was told this is what will probably will happen. I've also been told that if they don't total the truck then I should have an outside party come in and appraise the truck to be sure I'm not getting the short end of the stick.

Jamie
Old 08-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Chapter President

Well,
My wife and I have done battle with my insurance company's total loss department and won!!! We were able to raise enough stink to get the truck totaled out. We will be driving to Greenbrier Motors WV in Lewisberg this weekend to pick up an 06' Megacab 4x4 auto. This goes to show that, for guys like me that have a lot of bad luck when it comes to serious situations, the sun shines every now and then!!

Jamie.

PS now I've got to remember how to redo my signature.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:27 PM

Get that thing totalled its junk now.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:22 AM

Well,
My wife and I have done battle with my insurance company's total loss department and won!!! We were able to raise enough stink to get the truck totaled out. We will be driving to Greenbrier Motors WV in Lewisberg this weekend to pick up an 06' Megacab 4x4 auto. This goes to show that, for guys like me that have a lot of bad luck when it comes to serious situations, the sun shines every now and then!!

Jamie.

PS now I've got to remember how to redo my signature.
Congrats on getting it totaled. Just as an informational thing exactly how did you get them to total it out. This is just for information that I hope I don't ever have to use.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe your truck was totalled. I would've thought some good front end damage, but hitting a smaller SUV, I didn't think you'd total it....
Old 08-23-2006, 11:40 AM

Current vehicle is a rental, 4.7L 06 Dodge Dakota QC 2wd auto that drives and has the power of a 4 banger!!!

any thoughts anyone?

Jamie
I have a RAM with a V6 and it makes that dakota look like a rocket More weight and less engine.... oh boy
Old 08-23-2006, 07:40 PM

Well heres my stupidity for they day. stopped at the local wal mart, they knocked out 1/2 the handicap spots, cut the steal post off but left the 2 ft cement pole, i pulled in wife decided to go to menards, no cars in front or to the sides of me but a line behind so i go forward and bunch bang, with a look of what the heck on my face i back up and hear a tin ding on the ground my licensepate just hit the ground haha big ole V in the bumper. pulled the sides away from the wheel well liners, i pulled the plastic top off hoping it wouldnt warp. think i saved that but the steel is obviously gone, anyone know what they get for these at the dealers? Lucky enough it didnt get into the condeser radiator or anything. i got lucky for my stupidity.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Chapter President

I was actually able to wiggle my way to the guy who was directly responsible for making the decision to make it a total loss or not. I told him I would not feel safe in a vehicle that was rebuilt from the ground up with a used frame bent and rebent cab and an entirely used/rebuilt front end. After he called the collision center and spoke with them, he called me back to tell me he was going to total it out (didn't say why and I didn't ask). When he called us back, we were on the way to the attorney!!!

Jamie

Quick Reply: Crashed the truck yesterday