Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   cleaning oil from bottom of truck..advice please (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/cleaning-oil-bottom-truck-advice-please-261717/)

TexasCTD 01-14-2010 11:44 PM

cleaning oil from bottom of truck..advice please

I recently had a problem with an injector. (still waiting on diagnosis)

Anyway, short story........my truck.....I think, cracked an injector and started "making oil". They have all been replaced now with Flux 1.8s.

The undercarriage of my truck is coated with an oil/diesel fuel mixture now. What is the simplest, easiest way to clean it back to normal again?

Simple green and a hose? Take it to be steam cleaned? Thanks.

txarrowhunter 01-15-2010 12:00 AM

Pressure washer and simple green works super.

SIXSLUG 01-15-2010 01:31 AM

Castrol Super Clean is my new favorite. Purple bottle.

Kurt

Jim Lane 01-15-2010 05:39 AM

Use Simple Green straight in a spray bottle, spray it on and let it set for awhile and then hose it off with a high pressure nozzle, you might have to do it several times to get it all off.

I have a diesel fired steam cleaner I can use on mine when it is real bad but it makes a real mess and is loud.

Also Home Depot has some Zep Industrial Purple Cleaner that is really strong that would work well but be careful around the paint and aluminum like your rims and engine parts

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

Jim

Grit Dog 01-15-2010 08:51 AM

Sounds like you just rustproofed the chassis for free!
Now hurry up and go drive down a dusty road so it'll turn to undercoating!

I'd get a few cans of engine degreaser and go to town. It'll wash off with a garden hose. Anything left will be gone after driving in a couple good rain storms.

dieselfreak21 01-15-2010 09:23 AM

I've always used an enginee degreaser spray. Carefule around paint and try not to hit the electrical connectors with a alot. I used the pressure washer but not on connectors. Used the Steam genny on those and looked brand new. never had it strip paint off the oil pan.

jpfishmaster 01-15-2010 10:00 AM

Lots of the purple stuff; you're gonna get messy, but it works. For the volume, and to get less messy, I'd get a gallon or two and put it in a type of garden or pest control sprayer with a wand tip; it will stay under pressure longer, give you a better reach, and work better; good luck

sled4fun 01-15-2010 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG (Post 2678074)
Castrol Super Clean is my new favorite. Purple bottle.

Kurt

I have used this product for years. Pour it straight into a squirt bottle and apply heavy, let it soak for 4-6 minutes and pressure wash off. Hot water works best.

This is what has worked best for me.
When I was doing a lot of engine steam cleaning I found that when working on a vertical surface like the under side of an open hood. It was best to start at the bottom and work your way up. Angle your contact spray pattern so that what you are blowing off does not disturb the dirty/castrol super clean soaked mess.

Slowly work your way in one dirrection until done.

Have fun.

txarrowhunter 01-15-2010 11:00 AM

We had to do this not to long ago cause the dealer didnt tighten the oil filter good enough and the whole underneath of the truck was covered in oil and dust. We drove all four wheels on ramps, where the truck was was elevated and powerwashed it. We have a little 3600psi washer and we used simple green throught the suction hose took it right off.

TexasCTD 01-15-2010 06:09 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I went today to a car wash place just because I couldn't stand the outside of the truck being so dirty. Im guessing some of the undercarriage got cleaned from that.

I'll try the simple green and a sprayer first to finish it up underneath in a day or two. I don't think it's as bad as I originally thought.

Jim Lane 01-16-2010 06:03 AM

Also a lot of truck stops have wash bays with steam cleaners and have pits so you can walk under the truck or do it for a small fee.

There is also a local dairy that has a truck wash and steam cleaner service open to the public since they steam clean their tanker trucks daily.

dodgeguy71 01-16-2010 06:30 AM

I just buy the citrus "Gunk" brand at the parts house, get the engine warmed up and spray on a few cans. Let it soak and hit it with the garden hose.