General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

chevy quality-at it's best!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 08:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
chevy quality-at it's best!

the next time somebody harrasses you for driving a dodge (especially a chevy guy)- tell them at least my tail lights don't fall off of my brand new truck!! it kills me, reading posts on the ford and chevy sites. they bash dodge so bad about quality. if you ask me-they are no better! maybe worse!

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50384
Old 11-05-2005, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny ya never hear people on here talkin about there tail lights falling out.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:50 PM
JKM

Easy there mr Ford driver!
Old 11-05-2005, 10:01 PM

Hey now just as long as were against chevs were good.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by rjm022
the next time somebody harrasses you for driving a dodge (especially a chevy guy)- tell them at least my tail lights don't fall off of my brand new truck!! it kills me, reading posts on the ford and chevy sites. they bash dodge so bad about quality. if you ask me-they are no better! maybe worse!

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50384
My Uncle had his tranny fall out because a line worker at Dodge forgot to put the bolts in the cross member. I think I'd rather drive a truck where two screws were missing on the tail light, then all the bolts missing from the transmission cross member.

Dodge gave him a new truck. (When the tranny fell out, it took the engine, not to mention some pretty major body damage! firewall and floor pan to name a couple areas) This was an 2003 new Dodge 1/2 ton with less then 200 miles.

I love it when guys make a case for how much better their brand is due to a fluke on another brand. These trucks are built by humans, so there is going to be mistakes. These are the same guys that would buy the same brand truck over and over after having a ton of problems with their trucks.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
true hdmax-but most of the chevy guys over at the diesel place slam dodge all day long. no matter what problems they have with their trucks-they are always better than dodge. it's nice to see that their trucks are no better or worse than ours. now, if i said this over at the diesel place, there would be ten pages of posts in a matter of hours-how chevy is far superior-grant it, it is a chevy forum, but i have noticed on the ford and chevy forums-those guys get down right obsessed in justifying their trucks,etc and how they are better. on the dodge forums, it just seems the owners can admit the problems with their trucks,etc and not have to bash the "other brand" to build themselves up!
Old 11-06-2005, 01:14 PM
FAY

chevy quality- at its best

Originally Posted by rjm022
true hdmax-but most of the chevy guys over at the diesel place slam dodge all day long. no matter what problems they have with their trucks-they are always better than dodge. it's nice to see that their trucks are no better or worse than ours. now, if i said this over at the diesel place, there would be ten pages of posts in a matter of hours-how chevy is far superior-grant it, it is a chevy forum, but i have noticed on the ford and chevy forums-those guys get down right obsessed in justifying their trucks,etc and how they are better. on the dodge forums, it just seems the owners can admit the problems with their trucks,etc and not have to bash the "other brand" to build themselves up!
rjm022, I agree with you that everyone should admit that their particular manufacturer of vehicles can make errors. If everyone would find fault with their dealers and manufacturers, when it is truthfully due, then satisfactory results would follow, because that is the proper way to get the makers and sellers of vehicles to be responsible for inadequacy and correct their faulty preformance. Everyone would benefit from all products being improved, rather than hidding the fact of industrial incompetence. I have had two Fords, one GMC and a Dodge, and each has had problems - all were gas jobs. If my Dodge diesel has problems I will notify the dealer and tell others.

Last edited by FAY; 11-06-2005 at 01:20 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-06-2005, 03:04 PM

there are a lot of message boards that don't have any credibility. if we owned chevys and read dodge boards, we'd be making the same arguments, just a matter of perspective. i do however agree that the 99-06 GM fullsize body style is probably one of the worst trucks ever made. i tried owning one, things didn't work out.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:12 PM

My '03 Chevy was less trouble than this truck has been. Not to say it was problem free. I had the Autotrac transfer case, it had an amazing knack for figuring out when I needed 4wd, and then not working. The Dodge is on it's 3rd set of door weather stripping, all new AC system, new U-Joint, and I'm currently trying to get a squeak thats been there for 15k miles, and the howling rear end fixed. About 12 days in the shop and counting for this one, 3 for the Chevy.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:00 PM
FAY

Chevy quality-at its best

The more syphisticated vehicles become the more things there are to go wrong. Nevertheless, even in my simple old 1987 Dodge D-50 RAM Mitsibishi gas job the five-speed tranny was in perfect shape when the tranny case was opened at 98k kilometers, but it had been falling out of fourth gear into neutral when I took my foot off the accellerator. All that was wrong was a weak very large spring clip needed to provide tension to hold the moveable sliding gear in place. Other than that the unit is giving excellent service. Even the body sheet metal has no rusted and it was driven every winter in the salt slush for five years. It gets all the run about chores.

Our new 1998 GMC, soon after we bought it, developed a very annoying vibration buzz in some body panel it seemed. The dealer searched everywhere in the truck. One day I was looking for grease nipples on the drive shaft and when looking around noticed one of the clips was missing that held the muffler heat shield on. It looked like the clip was never installed, but the dealer would not fix it under warranty nor had a part available, and no auto wreaker had a used part. A new muffler complete unit cost 1300 dollars. I took my mig welder and melted the seam together. It held for a year and then started vibrating again after the thin metal work hardened and cracked from vibration. I drilled a hole in the seam and inserted a screw. The head of the screw finally popped off, but the buzz has not returned yet.

I had a 3/4 ton 1969 Ford truck that was a good unit but the engine leaked excessive oil from around the battleship (intake manifold). A 1976 3/4 ton Ford was a piece of junk in no other words from the beginning. I would sure like it if my new Dodge would be trouble free to a greater extent.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:53 PM

You know you guys really sucked the fun outta this.