General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

certified dodge cummins mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
certified dodge cummins mechanics

anyone know of any good certified dodge cummins mechanics in north cal. thanx chris
Old 05-31-2004, 05:12 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey, any one know one down south? They are hard to find. They keep disappearing from the dealers shop. Wonder why?
Old 05-31-2004, 05:14 PM

i dont know, your right all the certified dodge cummins mechanics are gone.
chris
Old 05-31-2004, 07:36 PM
Banned

Who wants to get dirty today? Customers think you are a liar and a cheat, service manager is always on your back, technology changes every year forcing you to buy more and more expensive tools, and nobody wants to pay. Hmmm I wonder why.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:16 PM
Banned

the last time I was in a genuine Cummins shop the kids there had just finished a O.H. on a isb and was smokin and bangin......turns out they did not install the right size pistons!!!!!!!!!(too small)...
I use to a paid hand.........not no more it dose not pay enough!!
Old 05-31-2004, 09:40 PM

some people, no respect for the cummins
Old 05-31-2004, 10:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
All of the mechanics at Cummins NW in Montana have quit in the last 6 months, all they have is greenhorns now. Truckers are avoiding the place like the plague.
Don't know what's up with it, maybe Cummins took away benefits and the mechanics said screw it.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by spots
Who wants to get dirty today? Customers think you are a liar and a cheat, service manager is always on your back, technology changes every year forcing you to buy more and more expensive tools, and nobody wants to pay. Hmmm I wonder why.
Exactly.

Around here, Cummins is known to not pay very well.
Alot of the shops problems could be cured by getting rid of the flat rate program. Who would you rather work on your truck, a guy who is trying to beat the S.R.T. instead of focusing on doing the job right, or the guy who takes his time in a reasonable manner and double checks to make sure everything is fine. Thats not to say all flat rate techs are like this, but the majority of them I have met fall somewhere in this category.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:48 PM

i need to go down to my local cummins shop and take a look at the people there. im in california so i dont know if we have the flat rate plan going on. chris
Old 06-01-2004, 12:31 AM

I work for Cummins West here in Sacramento , I can answer your questions if you have them , No we don't work for flatrate , yes we are the highest paid technician in the area , we are also the highest labor rate in the area also at 110.00 an hour , but we also back all of our repairs for one year , being a Cummins shop we do have to some reasonable expectation to being close to SRT times , this I will tell you , most of the SRT are not reality , and we add about 25% time to SRT that are not warranty repairs , and we do not do any Dodge Cummins warranty work, but we still get a number of Dodges in our shop. Even at being the highest paid in the area , we have a tough time finding Technician that are good. lately we have been getting a few from the local Cat shop and training them for our engines.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:38 AM

I did want to add, the Technician we have lost have all been guys leaving the beautiful California for cheaper living , and the last 4 guys that have left all went to work for the Cummins distributor in the area they moved too . and some of them have had as dramatic drop in wages in the area they have moved to , but living expenses have dropped also .
Old 06-01-2004, 12:40 AM

how long would it take to fix the KDP on my 97, and what would the round about cost be? would your shop be able to add gauges? How many years do you guys have under your belts. chris
Old 06-01-2004, 12:49 AM

why are your technician moving for cheaper living when your charging 110.00 an hour? chris
Old 06-01-2004, 01:15 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He said the labor rate was $110 an hour, I very seriuosly doub't and would not be afraid to bet that he is getting that or anywhere near that. I hauled mine clear from Virginia to Indiana to have it rebuilt at a reputable shop becasue at the two shops around here that I've had work done, both of them screwed up both jobs. I despise flat rate shops as I use to work in one a long time ago. I want the job done right and am willing to pay so I look for the best.

Now if you're willing to drive to Missouri or Indiana, I can definately recommend someone. As a matter of fact, the one guy advertises right here on the site so I can mention his name, Forest City Diesel.

Oh, you wanted Ca help, oops, can't help you there.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:28 AM

? if i had the time i would be happy to drive to forest city diesel. but i dont, and need to find a place in Ca. thanks for trying. chris

Quick Reply: certified dodge cummins mechanics