Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Caterpiiller (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/caterpiiller-208881/)

Smkndzl 06-21-2008 07:41 PM

Caterpiller

News Release

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...?id=29796lease

Cat announce they will no longer produce a On Road engine after 2009, they can't keep up with the emissions race. they better bone up... Off Road emissions is not far behind.

Clayten 06-21-2008 07:45 PM

Yep you are right. Maybe they are going to get into hydrogen power, or maybe a windmill off of the hood of a D9[laugh]

Kman9090 06-21-2008 09:44 PM

Getting pretty ridiculous if caterpillar doesn't want to waste thier time devolping new technology to keep up with the emissions BS. When they start regualting off road use only engines we are getting way out of hand. Also why would they bother in The USA when every other country doesn't have near the emissions regualtions we do. I am sure they sell enough engines in other countries not to worry about the USA.

~Angry Tractor~ 06-21-2008 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kman9090 (Post 2123956)
Getting pretty ridiculous if caterpillar doesn't want to waste thier time devolping new technology to keep up with the emissions BS. When they start regualting off road use only engines we are getting way out of hand. Also why would they bother in The USA when every other country doesn't have near the emissions regualtions we do. I am sure they sell enough engines in other countries not to worry about the USA.

Thats exactly what they are doing. They have a few plants in China. They are opening a plant in India and hiring 5000 people there. They are stoping production of motorgraders in the U.S. and moving them to Mexico. They are running out of this country as fast as they can before our government grows a spine puts a stop to all this outsourcing. Walmart, Caterpillar and various other nation wide employers have managed to gut this country of its middle class. Sad thing they love doing it.

bmoeller 06-21-2008 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by ~Angry Tractor~ (Post 2123970)
Walmart, Caterpillar and various other nation wide employers have managed to gut this country of its middle class. Sad thing they love doing it.

Who says the companies love doing it? The gov't isn't really giving them the choice. They are being regulated to death, as are we. The outrageous crap the unions ask for isn't helping matters any. That is why where my grandma used to work shut down. What the unions demanded for their contracts made it unprofitable to keep open.

I'd love to see ALL of the big corporations get together and tell the gov't to [tapdshut] off.

RickG 06-22-2008 02:15 AM

Requirements for off road diesels http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/nonroad.php

Philabuster 06-22-2008 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by bmoeller (Post 2124034)
Who says the companies love doing it? The gov't isn't really giving them the choice. They are being regulated to death, as are we. The outrageous crap the unions ask for isn't helping matters any. That is why where my grandma used to work shut down. What the unions demanded for their contracts made it unprofitable to keep open.

I'd love to see ALL of the big corporations get together and tell the gov't to [tapdshut] off.

Big corporations run the government. Yes, they do enjoy making higher profit margins while outsourcing. It happens all the time union company or not. I am also experiencing this first hand. [verymad] Does outsourcing work? Works on paper for us. [dummy]

GaCamper 06-22-2008 12:17 PM

This comes from Caterpillar wer site:
http://www.yanceybros.com/index.php/...and_events/767

Caterpillar And Navistar To Pursue Strategic Alliance

Caterpillar Inc. and Navistar International Corporation have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to pursue global on-highway truck business opportunities and cooperate on a variety of engine platforms. The two companies intend to focus on global truck opportunities, including North American severe service construction trucks, as well as technology development for engines worldwide.

“We are pleased to be matching the formidable talents and technology leadership of two industry leaders to serve an expanding base of engine, truck and equipment customers worldwide,” said Jim Owens, Caterpillar Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “As the world leader in construction equipment and diesel engines, Caterpillar is now positioning itself for growth in the on-highway truck market. This is an important step for Caterpillar and we look forward to working with Navistar for the continued benefit of our customers.”

Through this alliance, Caterpillar plans to target a 2010 introduction of a North American Cat branded heavy-duty truck for severe service applications, such as road construction, large infrastructure projects and oil and petroleum development. Concurrent with this new strategic direction, Caterpillar has determined independently that it will not supply EPA 2010 compliant engines to truck and other on-highway original equipment manufacturers (OEMs).

Global Truck Collaboration
The companies intend to work together to develop, manufacture and distribute commercial trucks in select regions outside of North America. The product offering would include a full line of medium and heavy-duty trucks in both conventional and cab over designs.

Engine Technology
Under the alliance, Caterpillar and Navistar plan to cooperate on engine development, incorporating “best in class” technologies from both companies. Caterpillar and Navistar intend to work together on development of mid-range engines for diesel applications, such as school buses and utility trucks. This engine development would support each company’s stated path not to utilize urea-based Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) technology.

“In the past 15 years, Cat has become significantly less dependent on the sale of on-highway truck engines in the total contribution of our global engine profitability,” said Oberhelman. “Our global power systems business has grown significantly—in fact we supply approximately 400,000 diesel engines annually outside of the on-highway truck market. We intend to remain the world leader in clean diesel engines, and this collaboration is a key enabler.”

Remanufacturing Growth and Additional Synergies
Through the alliance, the companies also intend to expand their existing remanufacturing relationship to include Navistar’s recently introduced MaxxForce on-highway engines. The companies expect to pursue additional remanufacturing opportunities as new vehicles and engines are developed. Caterpillar and Navistar plan to explore opportunities to leverage their scale. Combining raw material and other commodity purchases is just one example of how the two companies can work together to reduce costs.

96_12V 06-22-2008 10:21 PM

You really need to do a google search on
Tier IV diesel emissions

You won't believe how stringent the new regulations will be.

fordkiller43 06-22-2008 10:45 PM

thats rediculous..... not sayin it aint true. Its just crazy

dieselJon 06-23-2008 06:54 PM

I was at Cat's Aurora IL plant yesterday for their 50th Anniversary. My dad's best friend (who works there as a supervisor on 2nd shift) took me and 2 of my bro's to go see the plant. They were really talking up their ACERT engines and how they were TIER III compliant while getting more HP/fuel economy. I even got a pic of the C7 they had on display in their truck. VERY complicated piece of machinery.

TrkEnvy 06-27-2008 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by bmoeller (Post 2124034)
The outrageous crap the unions ask for isn't helping matters any. That is why where my grandma used to work shut down. What the unions demanded for their contracts made it unprofitable to keep open.

Its not the unions fault that companies close.. its poor operation and a poor economy that accomplishes that. As a proud Union member I know first hand that Unions fight for people to have healthcare for there kids and better wages. Unions keep people off welfare. Maybe if there was a Dem in office we wouldnt have half the probs that are going on right now. Diesel wasnt 4.75 a gallon under the Clinton admin..

1-2-3 06-27-2008 07:48 AM

"Its not the unions fault that companies close.. "

Thats odd. It doesn't seem that long ago that the auto workers were on strike because $80 and hour wasn't enough for them.

Dieselbuilder 06-27-2008 08:09 AM

Soon you see all the good paying jobs gone, we will all work for min. wage new high price autos will litter the lots ( that no one can afford to buy ) or fuel that will be impossible pay for and Bush and his RICH Buddy's will rule the country and not even be in power

TrkEnvy 06-27-2008 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by charliez (Post 2129751)
"Its not the unions fault that companies close.. "

Thats odd. It doesn't seem that long ago that the auto workers were on strike because $80 and hour wasn't enough for them.

Actually they were on strike because there pensions and retirement benefits were being slashed. How would you like to work for 30 yrs and bank on a pension retirement to have the rug pulled out from under you. Doesnt exactly sound like the golden yrs does it??