Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   brothers powerstroke (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/brothers-powerstroke-229402/)

comptz 01-12-2009 04:07 PM

brothers powerstroke

My brother has a 1997 f-250 powerstroke diesel and his glow plugs don't come on with the turn of the key instead he has a pshbutton the previous owner installed to use. I need some help on this issue please. I told him he would be better off with a cummins but o well[tapdshut][tapdshut]

Dartmouth 12V 01-12-2009 04:59 PM

There is nothing wrong with the system that he has, it is probably more reliable than still having the glow plug controller. He should come up with a rough mental table of how long he should run them before starting the truck based on the outside temp. Take a look at some of the powerstroke forums for how long they run based on temperature with the controller and use that as a starting point.

comptz 01-12-2009 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dartmouth 12V (Post 2347394)
There is nothing wrong with the system that he has, it is probably more reliable than still having the glow plug controller. He should come up with a rough mental table of how long he should run them before starting the truck based on the outside temp. Take a look at some of the powerstroke forums for how long they run based on temperature with the controller and use that as a starting point.

thats what i told him but he won't listen to me. O well[tapdshut]

wurkenman 01-12-2009 08:08 PM

That system is probably better. It should allow him to keep the glow plugs lit while turning over for easier starts.

comptz 01-12-2009 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by wurkenman (Post 2347653)
That system is probably better. It should allow him to keep the glow plugs lit while turning over for easier starts.

ya, I will tell him, Thanks:cool:

lovinCTD59 01-13-2009 01:05 PM

I heard the glowplugs on the power strokes can stay on for up to 2 minutes. Even if the engine is running???
I own a 01 7.3 F-350 and i believe this is true, as the headlights will stay quite dim for about 2 min if it is below 0* F. Kinda like our Cummins do with the grid heater... My power stroke also has a air heater in the intake horn, but Its small, and i dont see it pulling that much juice compared to 8 glowplugs. unless they come on and run at the same time..

comptz 01-13-2009 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by lovinCTD59 (Post 2348416)
I heard the glowplugs on the power strokes can stay on for up to 2 minutes. Even if the engine is running???
I own a 01 7.3 F-350 and i believe this is true, as the headlights will stay quite dim for about 2 min if it is below 0* F. Kinda like our Cummins do with the grid heater... My power stroke also has a air heater in the intake horn, but Its small, and i dont see it pulling that much juice compared to 8 glowplugs. unless they come on and run at the same time..

ya, i love our grids. He has to crank the engine twice to get it to fire on a cold day[laugh]

ko diesel 03-02-2009 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by comptz (Post 2348814)
ya, i love our grids. He has to crank the engine twice to get it to fire on a cold day[laugh]

I'd rather crank my engine two times than to use ether to start it when it just won't turn over.[duhhh]