General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Clutch question is it going out??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch question is it going out??

Well the last two weeks I have noticed, at times that the girl don't want to go in gear. I have the clutch in but it just won't go in. Mostly though it shifts fine. I think it has happened twice or three times between this weekend and last weekend. Wondering if I have it in a bind or something when it happens.

As you can see by my sig all I have as far as power adders are the power puck. Which claims 50hp gain, which is not bad, but it also states 150ft-lbs of torque. By my estimates puts me at roughly 700 at the flywheel. I'm also running 30lbs of boost but I don't use it a lot, rarely to I take it up that high. So I guess my question is, is this enough to slowly kill the clutch?? Could I be experiencing clutch death syndrome?

I've been thinking about the Valair(I think that is right) cause it is about $300 cheaper than the competitor. I have been holding off because I'd like to get the fass on there first, then the clutch and then the injectors but if I have to replace the clutch first then so be it.

So what do you guys think?? Clutch dying? Guess it's a good excuse to spend $650 for a clutch.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:24 PM

It actually doesn't sound like the clutch is dying to me. It sounds more like your hydraulics are failing. Usually, when the clutch won't completely disengage, it is related to the hydraulics.

Is your clutch slipping? You can tell by doing a full power, 5th gear, loaded run and seeing whether the rpms jump up at any point. If it holds, then your clutch has enough holding power and your only other options are that you have worn off all of the material or that something is actually physically broken(doubtful).
Old 11-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Chapter President

no slip felt. Forgot about the whole slave/master cylinder monstrosity. I'd rather spend the money on a clutch than have to buy that high dollar thing!!!
Old 12-23-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I am having a similar issue my 93 D250 5 speed all of a sudden got real hard to go into first and reserve but drove great on the freeway at 75, checked the RPM's as I stepped on it and it held steady...I'm thinking it's the hydraulics too but wondering how to tell f it is for sure before buying stuff and is it possible to buy just the line or is it the whole thing?
Old 12-28-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Clutch fix

Originally Posted by Federic
I am having a similar issue my 93 D250 5 speed all of a sudden got real hard to go into first and reserve but drove great on the freeway at 75, checked the RPM's as I stepped on it and it held steady...I'm thinking it's the hydraulics too but wondering how to tell f it is for sure before buying stuff and is it possible to buy just the line or is it the whole thing?
after much angst and y I took to a mechanic and he mentioned the the plates breaking and not allowing the clutch to totally disengage from the engine and that there might be a adjustment on the throw out spindle...so I go there to check and there is not on the 93 but I decide to check the bolts holding the tranny to the engine block and the first 2 are 2 full turn circles loose which I tighten by fingers and then tightened all down all 4 were real real loose and the last one I heard a clunk and the whole thing like sat itself well...well the long and the short is that now the shifting is perfect!!! and no issues so it pays to check those bolts once in a while

By the way does anyone know the correct torque for those 4 big bolts that hold the whole tranny to the engine?
Old 12-28-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I'd pull them down pretty tight. Maybe even some loctite to keep from havin to re visit them....

As for Dodgeguy, the hydraulics would be less than a new clutch, in which case you would be well advised to replace the hydro unit anyway if it was the clutch,,,did you replace them when you installed the South Bend?