General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Ram pulling ability as a stumper.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 01:27 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Ram pulling ability as a stumper.

Not sure where to post this question, so hope this is the right place.
Hope some of you experts can give me some advice. I have been using my truck as a 'stumper' lately. Pulling out stumps and small trees. Lots more to go. Have broken quite a few ropes already. I am using both front tow hooks and doing it in 4 wheel low reverse. (so I can see what is happening) Have around a 2000 pound load of water in the back for traction on the grass and soil. Can't see around the tank when driving forward. I can add more water for additional traction if required as the tank is 1100 litres.
How much load is estimated that I can pull? I keep the engine at idle when pulling. If I use a chain instead of ropes, what is the estimated capacity (size) for safety, specially if I inadvertantly jerk the chain? Presume the chain will whip less than the rope if it breaks? If a rope is better, what type and diameter? Nylon tow 'ropes' are hard to find around here, but regular nylon or poly rope is readily available. I am afraid of using the stronger nylon rope because it stretches so much and if it breaks it really whips. Any other thing anyone can add will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Ram pulling ability as a stumper.

Mexstan -

Get a big nylon tow strap from one of the four wheeling suppliers, (like 4wheelpartswholesale) with an 12,000 lb capacity..I use one for just that purpose..It'l hold anything your truck is capable of pulling, even with some mild tugging and jerking..I've pulled a stuck 18 wheeler with loaded twin hopper trailers that had pulled off the road and sunk in the mud up to his axle..I didn't think my truck would do it, but it pulled him out..I stayed on the pavement, and was spinning all four wheels, but out he came..was really surprised the strap held..so I know you can pull just about any stump.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:48 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Wish I could but there is no such thing as 4 wheel suppliers down here. To import it costs a fortune as I have to pay shipping plus at least 30% duty.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:52 PM

your tow hooks are load rated for 5500 lbs each I believe

use 1/2 inch grade 70 chain ............ should be good
Old 12-02-2003, 01:55 PM

be careful with the chain, especially pulling in reverse......if it were to snap it could come back right through the windshield and do some serious damage to u. ive seen more than a few chains break and they have some serious force on them. id definately use a strap, yea they may break more often but wont do as much damage to u or your truck
Old 12-02-2003, 01:56 PM

whether you use chains or ropes hang some heavy blankets ,tarps or coats over the chains/ropes that way if they do break it will lessen the likely hood of whipping.keep the pulling smoth and not jerking will leesen the chance of breakage also. personally I'd use 3/8" chain instead of rope.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:35 PM

[quote author=Mexstan link=board=8;threadid=23166;start=0#msg217086 date=1070394514]
Wish I could but there is no such thing as 4 wheel suppliers down here. To import it costs a fortune as I have to pay shipping plus at least 30% duty.
[/quote]Ouch!! well, something I've seen that the tow guys use to yank stuck trucks & motorhomes out of the sand with is the woven ropes used by folks in the ocean shipping biz..its a pliable rope about the size around of a flashlight..it has this neat ability to stretch, then spring back like a rubber band..The tow guys get a running start on a stuck motorhome, stretch the rope, then hit the brakes to keep from being pulled back..the slingshot effect is pretty amazing..so see if you can locate an old rope like that if you're near a port..
Old 12-02-2003, 03:47 PM
JKE

Mexstan -

Have a friend bring you a KEEPER tow strap. They have serious ratings. Use the heavy blanket like the others have said...NO CHAINS....pull from the rear so if something does break it will not go through the intercooler, radiator.....rendering your truck useless....

Hope the trees are coming along well for you.

my $0.02

John
Old 12-02-2003, 04:36 PM

I'll backup what others have said - NO CHAINS. I've onced witnessed chains let go and smash the hood and windshield of a Jeep that was stuck up to the floorboards in mud. Not a pretty sight and very dangerous. I remember being shocked at how quickly the chain broke and violently snap back with what seemed like a low pulling force.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:58 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can vouch for the no chains comments. Trying to pull a stuck truck out of the mud we broke a 1/2" chain. It flew back and looked like someone had fired a machine gun across the front windshield of the stuck truck. Luckily nobody was hurt.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:24 PM

OK, like the idea of no chains. Have in the past used a nylon rope and taken advantage of the slingshot effect. It really does work. Maybe I should go that way again.
Now I have another question. If I go the rope route, any suggestions on how to attach the end of the rope to the object I am pulling? If I use a hook at the end of the rope it in itself can become a lethal weapon. A knot tied every time gets very time consuming and tedious. To pull the trees and stumps out I need to loop the rope around two or three times to prevent it slipping up the tree. Even with this way on most trees I skin the bark right off for a foot or two.
How about the idea of a short 1/2" chain choker of about 4 feet long with a hook at each end to wrap around the tree and then hook that to a permanent loop on the tow rope? The loop could perhaps have a sheepshank type knot.
I can tow from the the back but have to use my mirrors to see what is happening. No problem.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:30 PM

When i widened my driveway i had to pull some Juniper bushes with deep roots....the chains i used worked out ok but the couplers used to attach the chains to my hitch kept breaking! Once i figured out the correct way to hook up the chains i couldn't believe how fast and easy those bushes came out. The truck saved me a whole day of digging!
Old 12-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Kinda funny but not...
One New Years Eve my buddy had this BRILLIANT idea of yanking out an abandoned boat house onto the lake for more firewood. :
He had about 100 ft of chain and was yanking and tugging like mad with his old Chebby 4x4 on the ice and then it was like slow motion...the chain snapped free and it all made its way to the back window of the cab and wrapped itself and the glass all around his head.
If you knew this guy you would be trying to hold back the laughing while trying to help him.

So he bolts out of the cab and is knocking the chain off his head and then starts yanking on it and cursing.
It was still hooked to his hitch at the back and now through is bent up steering wheel.

He had some nasty cuts so we took him up to his dads hardware store and we sewed him up with some 10 lb test monofilament fishing line.

We did not want to drive to the hospital on New Years Eve. 8)
:-*
Amazing what several beers, cold weather and some good friends can do for a guy.

Use straps.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:35 PM

whichever you chose to use, ropes or chains , chose one of addiquate size and rating and like I said before cover it with a heavy tarp to minimize the backlash, ropes do just as much damage when they let lose, generally if a chain does break it's because someone was using an old worn or to light a chain. Too many people think any ol chain will work, but they have ratings.
You asked about using a short chain to wrap around the stump that will work just fine. Personally I've removed alot of stumps and trees, always prefered a backhoe if you have access to one it's alot safer to dig out a stump.

Quick Reply: Ram pulling ability as a stumper.