Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Automatic Trans Fluid (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/automatic-trans-fluid-23031/)

TPilaske 01-23-2003 11:38 AM

Automatic Trans Fluid

Can someone explain to me the difference in all the ratings for ATF? <br><br>What's GM Dexron II, Dexron III, Ford Mercon, Mercon V, Chrysler ATF+, ATF+2, ATF+3, ATF+4 -- I don't even know what else is out there.<br><br>Are they that much different from each other or what? I would like to put a synthetic in my trans instead of the Chrysler stuff, but I don't know what to use.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Tony<br>

01-23-2003 12:56 PM

Re:Automatic Trans Fluid

From my understanding ATF+4 is syn.That is what dc told me.I't like 30.00 a gallon

P Kennedy 01-23-2003 01:12 PM

Tony, I know it is a dirty word but the A----- ATF has the Chryco ATF+4 rating and I had really good luck with it in my 98 Chev 4L80E towing 7-10000lbs of trailer plus snowplow duty and carrying a welder in the back. I was impressed that at -45F it would shift into gear like at +50F and was drivable and noted cooler operating at 85-95F towing in the mountains on 6-8% grades 3-5 miles long. The difference between some ATF's is the additives for different clutch materials and Ford used to be more specific with noticable performance reduction by not using Mercon ATF. Unfortunately not as diverse on ATF's as normal oils. PK

TPilaske 01-23-2003 01:31 PM

Yeah, I've been contemplating the Amsoil ATF. I assume it would be the Universal ATF? I know a couple of the MIDTR members use it and are pleased with it. I was also looking at the Royal Purple and Mobil 1 ATF, neither of them have the Chrysler ratings. I do have a DTT tranny though, so I wonder if it matters now...?

pappyman 01-23-2003 01:59 PM

I know from experience that the wrong ATF will cause Torque converter shudder...I currently have ATF+4 in my upgraded tranny...but in the near furture when I change tranny fluid I'll be puttin in Amsoil<br><br>This is what Bill Kondolay says about it<br><br>Chrysler recommends ATF +4 oil, whether some of us like to believe it or not they have spent more time and money researching what works best with their transmission than anybody else. They recommend ATF +4 to control the shift feel. Just because they recommend ATF +4 does not mean to hae to get it from them, you can buy it from automotive outlets as long as it meets their ATF +4 specifications

hellotbone 01-23-2003 02:36 PM

AmsOil is great stuff really works very well indeed! ;D

TPilaske 01-23-2003 02:53 PM

Pappy,<br><br>I don't see anything that actually &quot;meets&quot; any Chrysler rating, except Amsoil... ???<br><br>Tony

pappyman 01-23-2003 03:15 PM

Most oil companys have web sites about their products heres the one for Kendall about ATF<br>http://www.kendallmotoroil.com/produ...f/default.html<br>and mobil<br>http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...Collection.asp<br><br>Amsoil has a good product...you can even put Hyd oil in the tranny...which alot of Racers use instead of ATF

KC 01-23-2003 03:33 PM

Tony I have not had any problem running Amsoil in my trans!<br><br>KC

chuck3 01-23-2003 05:58 PM

Tony, I have used Amsoil in mine since the upgrade, works great. ;)

waam 01-23-2003 06:44 PM

Tony <br> I was at a transmission shop today in Holland, Mi. <br>A customer was their with a chevy diesel, the older diesel. <br>He had Amsoil with him for his trany change, and they would not put all Amsoil in his trany. Reason was the synthetic oil would not clean enough of the moving parts. So they mixed it at about 60-40 the 60 being amsoil. The transmission shop was Holland Transmission. I asked them if the two oils would mix okay and they said their would be no problem doing that. The regular trany oil for that chevy would still be cleaning.<br>After all, if oil is dirty it's done its job. <br><br> waam Holland Mich.

fitzer 01-23-2003 06:50 PM

:oI thought mixing synthetic and mineral oils was a BIG NO-NO!!! ???As I understood it, mixing the two will cause 'balling' of the oil,('sludging' might be a better term) and plugging up the smaller ports and orfices. ???

P Kennedy 01-23-2003 08:43 PM

As long as Holland Trans in Michigan warrantees it in writing they can do what ever they want, however it is not their truck and they do not manufacture the Amsoil and they might have something to say about mixing purposely and warrant the properties of the oil. Mixing on purpose changes the performance level of the synthetic oil, Amsoil stated compatability in case of emergencies and mistakes. PK

RadioRex 01-23-2003 11:25 PM

A couple of questions, at what miles should a person change to Amsoil ATF and what will this do to the warranty ???

waam 01-24-2003 09:59 AM

waam here again.<br><br> Went back to transmission shop today, Fri. Feb. 24 talked to transmission boss man. I was wrong on the 60-40 mix of the two oils, it's 50-50 they use. Synthetic and the ATF that your trans. requires. Been doing it their for 10 yr's now. They will not repair or rebuild a transmission with out doing it, 50-50 unless you tell them not to do it, or for warrenty reasons. They said the only way synthetic will clean is by the way of filters, which he said there isn't enought of in any trans. ATF has detergent in it, thus the added cleaning factor, so they said we give our customers trans. oil the helps keep it clean and the synthetic for supper lubricant and they will run cooler. I dont know if it's good or bad or right or wrong. I'll stick with Mopar ATF+4 for know <br> Waam Holland Mich.<br> <br> 19 degrees at eleven o'clock and diesel is still 1.45 to 1.48 a gal.<br><br>