General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Anyone thinking about switching to a gasser?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up a 94 Honda Accord and will be using it for my daily commute. I am going to buy a cover for my truck and park it. I will drive it once a week to keep things lubed up and will use it when we pull the 5th wheel.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by jeff-kc9ftp
I really love my truck (the 3500 ctd), but just picked up a 'cheap' 2500 v-10 for the limited towing/hauling duties.
Dodge V10?
My buddy had one, he struggled to get 10mpg running emtpy...towing was around 6 for him. He does drive foot-to-the-floor, though

But if you can get one for cheap, and you aren't towing a lot, then the math should make sense.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:25 PM

Thinking? I don't regret any of them.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:53 PM

The question is WHY is diesel MORE money than gas? It should be LESS.

This will surely bring a downward turn for he diesel truck market. Why would someone want to pay MORE for fuel, almost $1.00 more versus gasoline?

As I stated before, I don't drive the truck unless I am hauling stuff or it is snowing. In almost two years, I only put $13K miles on it.

It will be a low mileage truck if and when I sell it...

It's those environmental nuts that are causing some of this.
When polled, they voted to raise gas and diesel prices even more and even wanted to add a "enviro" tax on top of it. WHY???

They are so fanatical that they want to raise gas prices so high that it will price out people to the point they will not want to drive or all of them will buy Prius'. That is part of their plan.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The Europeans are paying almost $7/gal equivalent in many areas, yet their economy hasn't gone into depression.

It's something to think about as to why that is...
Old 03-20-2008, 03:48 PM

I agree that environmentalists get happier as fuel prices keep rising. Makes me want to roll some coal down the street even with diesel at $4/gallon just to make a point. lol... But anyway, I don't dislike enviro's. They're people just like us with slightly different hobbies/views on things. To each their own. Eventually I think we will all be driving smaller diesel cars like in Europe. It's just hard to make that shift.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:57 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AHHHHHHH.....NO. My monthly fuel bill is about $150 to $180 extra a month now with the higher prices. That's not worth getting rid of my truck.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
The Europeans are paying almost $7/gal equivalent in many areas, yet their economy hasn't gone into depression.

The price diffrence between what they pay, versus what we pay, comes down to taxes. Fuel is heavily taxed in Europe, gasolne more so than diesel.

The tax money goes into the general fund. Which help pay for their massive social programs.

Much of Europe is , in fact, on the cusp of a recession, just as we are. The difference is, they have massive social programs and umemployment benefits that they have to fund...by taxing the hell out of the population.

I don't think most of us would want to pay for any of these other taxes that the Euros get to pay, on top of the fuel tax:
- 15% tax on interest income
- income tax up to 55% in some countries
- Value Added Tax on goods and services up to 25%
- taxes based on CO2 emissions from your car
...it goes on and on.

We think we're taxed a lot in the US, but our taxes only total about 27% of GDP.

Taxes in some European countries can account for over 50% of GDP.

Something to think about when your European neighbor visits the doctor for a hangnail while collecting unemployment benefits for two years.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN

Europe and the USA are night and day difference in many areas. Europeans envy and take trips to the USA to come and experience our "open US roadways". Route 66 and cross country trips are popular for many coming to the USA. Our geography & open highway roads is something that is desired by envied by Europeans.

Most of European countries are equal to the size of some of our U.S. states. That in itself, makes a difference in traveling expenses and gas/fuel costs.

You must remember, there are many countries that pay MUCH LESS for fuel. Here are the countries and the US equivalent of dollars per gallon:

Cuba Havana $3.03
Taiwan Taipei $2.84
Lebanon Beirut $2.63
South Africa Johannesburg $2.62
Nicaragua Managua $2.61
Panama Panama City $2.19
Russia Moscow $2.10
Puerto Rico San Juan $1.74
Saudi Arabia Riyadh $0.91
Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78
Egypt Cairo $0.65
Iraq $ 0.40
Nigeria Lagos $0.38
Iran $0.35
Venezuela Caracas $0.12

Nothing like paying .12 cents a gallon. Wouldn't it be nice....
Old 03-20-2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by pronstar

Much of Europe is , in fact, on the cusp of a recession, just as we are. The difference is, they have massive social programs and umemployment benefits that they have to fund...by taxing the hell out of the population.
Hmmm... that sounds like the program the Democrats are pushing for us here in the USA. Socialized healthcare = insane taxes
Old 03-20-2008, 08:31 PM

They have insane taxes. We have insane insurance premiums and crippling medical and pharmaceutical bills. At the end of the day, they actually pay less overall. Insurance companies are in business to make profits. And they make obscene profits. They're just another profit monger in the line between us and the medical services we need. So not only do we pay for our medical services we need, we pay huge profits to the middle man for doing nothing but standing between us and the medical care we need. How taking insurance profits out of the picture and expanding medicare to cover all of us with reasonable deductibles wouldn't cost less overall, I don't know but the insurance industry's lobbyists have convinced us that that's the case. We're the only industrialized country in the world that doesn't have national health care. We prefer to hand over billions of dollars a year to folks who do absolutely nothing toward providing for our health care except reap a profit. We can't see the forest for the trees...
Old 03-20-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by pet05

You must remember, there are many countries that pay MUCH LESS for fuel. Here are the countries and the US equivalent of dollars per gallon:

Cuba Havana $3.03
Taiwan Taipei $2.84
Lebanon Beirut $2.63
Nicaragua Managua $2.61
Panama Panama City $2.19
Russia Moscow $2.10
Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78
Egypt Cairo $0.65
Iraq $ 0.40
Nigeria Lagos $0.38
Iran $0.35
Venezuela Caracas $0.12

Would you want to live in ANY of these places?
I'm guessing no. Just try to find a beer in Riyadh...

With the exception of Egypt and Puerto Rico, these countries have governments that are in disarray, to say the least.

Their fuel is cheap because their governments subsidize the cost of fuel to keep the population happy and complacent. They buy oil from the same commodity markets we buy oil from.

I'd rather pay $4.00 per gallon for diesel, than live in a Hugo Chavez dictatorship. But that's just me.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:10 PM

Last time I was in PR that was about the price per ltr...
Old 03-20-2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by pet05
Europe and the USA are night and day difference in many areas. Europeans envy and take trips to the USA to come and experience our "open US roadways". Route 66 and cross country trips are popular for many coming to the USA. Our geography & open highway roads is something that is desired by envied by Europeans.

Most of European countries are equal to the size of some of our U.S. states. That in itself, makes a difference in traveling expenses and gas/fuel costs.

Cuba Havana $3.03
Taiwan Taipei $2.84
Lebanon Beirut $2.63
Nicaragua Managua $2.61
Panama Panama City $2.19
Russia Moscow $2.10
Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78
Egypt Cairo $0.65
Iraq $ 0.40
Nigeria Lagos $0.38
Iran $0.35
Venezuela Caracas $0.12

Two weeks ago, just south of the boarder from Nogales, AZ, diesel was $1.99 a GALLON while a mile away in Arizona it was $3.65. Now it is $3.85 to $4.01 in Phoenix.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hannibal
They have insane taxes. We have insane insurance premiums and crippling medical and pharmaceutical bills. At the end of the day, they actually pay less overall. Insurance companies are in business to make profits. And they make obscene profits. They're just another profit monger in the line between us and the medical services we need. So not only do we pay for our medical services we need, we pay huge profits to the middle man for doing nothing but standing between us and the medical care we need. How taking insurance profits out of the picture and expanding medicare to cover all of us with reasonable deductibles wouldn't cost less overall, I don't know but the insurance industry's lobbyists have convinced us that that's the case. We're the only industrialized country in the world that doesn't have national health care. We prefer to hand over billions of dollars a year to folks who do absolutely nothing toward providing for our health care except reap a profit. We can't see the forest for the trees...
Free health care sounds good but I've seen to many people from Canada come to the USA to get a simple MRI or CT scan (and pay for it them selfs) as there was a 1-2 year waiting list to get one. I'm not happy with the prices we have to pay (I just had my wife in the hospital for an over night stay for what they thought was a blocked blood vain to the heart. The over night stay and all of the test came to a little over $21,000.00) but I also don't want to be like the people north of us either where you have a long waiting list to get a simple CT or MRI scan. I also don't want to pay a Poll tax or a TV tax or one of the many other 100's of taxes like they do in the UK or some of the other countries in the EU that tax every thing they can think of.

JMHO

Quick Reply: Anyone thinking about switching to a gasser?