General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Any Reason NOT to Buy a GMC w/ Duramax??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well

Just being know for driving a FUFU truck is wnough reason

BWAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 09-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Chapter President

BigBlue, that illuminated check engine light is a standard option on all General Motors products, if it's not on then there is something wrong with your GM. The check engine light goes hand in hand with oil leaks!

Sorry had to do some friendly GM bashing! Go to a dealer and see what the techs are driving. Ours drive DODGE(me), toyota, honda, we like to make it to work without assistance from a tow vehicle!!
Old 09-23-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The new version Duramax is too new to tell.

What's wrong with the Mega Cab?

MikeyB
Old 09-23-2006, 08:15 AM

last picture I seen of Hoss it looked like a little walking would do him some good so I think a good look at the Ford would be right up his line . After thinking about it and since your wife will be driving it more then you it sounds like I would go with the Chevy and get the On Star and that way she can have a tow truck coming well she sits in them good Chevy seats . The seats are the best thing I like about the Chevy trucks the trouble is they surround it with the rest of the package . I know were there are Dodge trucks with 5.9's running that go back to 89 and to find a Chevy diesel more than 5 years old I need to some hard looking . I should say running Chevy diesel because I know were I can find quite a few not running , boat anchor comes to mind . When it comes down to it finding some old running 6.9's Fords is a easer find .
Old 09-23-2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by 96_12V
Whatever happened to the idea of getting a family CAR?

I grew up in a family (on a farm) where the TRUCK was simply - and only - a truck, and our CAR was what we used for most family errends, trips, etc.
this is texas, everyone has at least one truck
Old 09-23-2006, 09:22 AM

I have two friends with new 05's. They are nice trucks. Nice roomy interiors, smoooooth ride. Both of them can keep up with me towing the same weight with my comp in EZ mode, both d-max's are stock. If the truck is going to stay on pavement, d-max in the only way to go. The only bad thing is they are super expensive.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:50 AM

I just bought what my signature says below, my father in law has a duramax.

The duramax has a ride more like a car, the Dodge defineately rides like a truck. I also think the allison transmission shifts much smoother than the 48re, and the duramax also has a (transmission brake??) that I really like.

Power feels close, but I think the edge goes to the dodge. The drive train on the chevy LOOKS much beefier than the dodge, whether it actually is or not I don't know. Chevy was quieter running.

If you are doing any off roading the frame on the dodge measures 15" from the ground, chevy a measely 10" (one of the biggest reasons I don't care for GMC/Chevy).

If I has to do it again, I'd still buy the Dodge, I LOVE the looks of Dodge, don't particularly car for the Chevy.

When you look at it overall, I think the chevy is probably a better value, but I still wouldn't own one. I just had a 95 GMC 1/2ton, and I'm tired of geting stuck in 12" of snow!

JMO
Old 09-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Chapter President

C H E V R O L E T
R E V A A I E V I
A A E L T L A E M
C D R V T - K R E
K S Y E L - S Y
E-------E
D-------S

Just playing......I like the 350
Old 09-23-2006, 11:49 AM

Dodgeguy...I see that you are restoring a Bolens....does the "real" company that produced Bolens still exist? We had a Bolens dealer in my hometown growing up until the owner past away. These little tractors (late '70's early '80's) were not much to look at but had a frame and components that looked like they came off a Mack truck. There seemed much more solidly build than what Deere was putting out back then.

I only bring this up as I noticed a little lawn tractor in Home Depot or Lowe's last week that was a "Bolens" and was made entirely of sheet metal and plastic. Oh well, I guess it's "progress..."
Old 09-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Chapter President

I think they were swallowed up by MTD?? Yeah, I saw they were bringing the bolens back and was kind of excited until I saw it at Lowes. After going through what I did with mine and seeing the "new" Bolens..... Great tractor and MTD ruined it. Mine has a cool trans/differential setup. On the left wheel you can screw this cap in and it locks the diff into a posi. The way it is set up it seems like it is variable. I need to post some pics of it....after I clean the dust off the ol' girl. Have had it covered with cotton sheets, but it still gets dusty.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

I've have owned both. My preference was the 06 GMC 3500 crewcab. To say one is better then the other is like saying "my dad is stronger then your dad" I tow a 15,000lb fiver and have 16,000 miles on the GMC without even a minor hitch. The ride hooked and unhooked from the GMC is smoother/softer, more car like. You may or may not like it. Basic maintenance is easy for fuel/oil changes. Truck tows real well and maintained 55mph running the climb to Carlsbad Caverns NM with the 5ver. The real important thing is whether or not you get a good truck. Both can have problems that will turn your stomach inside out, and both can give you miles of smiles. My last truck was a 2004 Freightliner Sportchassis M2. In the 26,000 miles that I owned it for, it was in and out of the shop for over 3 months total downtime, on 17 different occaisions. Plus it was pleagued by electrical gremlins. Too say all Freightliners are crap would be stupid because some people get or have good ones. I spoke to a guy with a 2004 LLY duramax which most will tell you are overheaters. He was a hot shotter, with 300,000 miles and no problems, and didn't even know anything about the LLY's having problems. Reguardless of what you buy, you just have to hope it's a good one because either truck will be fine.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Chapter President

Well put LBZ, honestly I agree. Our shop foreman always tells us that there are good Cadillacs out there, we usually laugh but it's true. I am on the bad end of the business see the "bad" ones everyday. It's just finding the good ones?? The Chevy does ride a lot better because of how the suspension is. Either way I suppose you'll be happy with both, at least it's a diesel!!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:51 PM

dodgeguy,

Maybe I'll look for an older bolens to restore and put a little Hatz or Yanmar diesel in - that would be a neat project. I seem to recall some type of diff lock option on some of these. Neat machine - wish it was not "improved" by MTD....
Old 09-24-2006, 11:39 PM

hmm i think i may have one, have you noticed the defective daytime running lights all the chevy/gmc's have? Changed the whole game of pi-diddle. But maybe they have that fixed on the new ones.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:42 PM
FAY

Originally Posted by Hoss
My dad has a Duramax and absolutely loves it. Any reason NOT to get one?
My truck was bought, not because it is a Dodge, nor because it has a Cummins diesel engine. My unit was purchased for the reason that it is powered by an in-line six cylinder diesel engine. I would not buy a diesel truck with a V8 configured engine under any circumstances. If I was purchasing an automobile that burned gasoline I would get a BMW 335i, because it has a Bi-turbo 3.0L in-line six gasoline engine.

My son has two vehicles and I have one vehicle with V configured engines, and I never would have another.

The main reason for not getting a Duramax or Powerstroke is contained in a quote from our local newspaper's "Driving Section" which reads as follows:
"Both Ford and GM have had serious reliability problems with the diesel engine. In both cases, fuel injectors were the cause."

I know 7 main crankshaft bearings for 6 cylinders is stronger than 5 main bearings for 8 cylinders. I also know that the B-series Cummins engine is a real work engine that takes a lot of hard knocking and abuse and keeps running. Practical superiority is better for me.

Quick Reply: Any Reason NOT to Buy a GMC w/ Duramax??