Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Advice Needed – Shopping for a Diesel Tow Rig (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/advice-needed-%96-shopping-diesel-tow-rig-265292/)

StanBo 03-04-2010 05:40 PM

Advice Needed – Shopping for a Diesel Tow Rig

Thanks for the insight fellas (and ladies).

Right now I daily drive a 1994 Toyota Ext Pickup (25mpg) and enjoy taking my 93 Jeep Cherokee (18mpg) on some off-road trails. I currently go to Rausch Creek Off-road Park which is about 260 miles round trip.

I did a quick quote on Uhaul.com and it looks like me going to RC and back will run me 110.90 to start. That is before the miles (.99 per) so let’s say $300. I would also have to factor in a Friday night pickup and a Sunday morning return. A guestimate would put it around $500 in hauling fees before gas.

So four trips to RC a year (this will become a monthly thing) is $2,000 a year.

I also like having a truck to haul stuff like big box groceries and running errands. I also have a commute that is 40 miles round trip.

My budget isn’t huge. I would like to finance 12 to 15k and I will have close to 15K to put down. So I am looking at low mileage 2003 to 2006.5 2500 series quad cab long beds.

With a budget of 27k or so would it hurt to look into an older truck? Maybe a second gen? I read Diesel Power and they post up some builds that make me consider going older.

Also if you know anyone with a well kept truck in the Tri-State Area please shoot them my way.

Thanks!

Stanley

hamilton71801 03-04-2010 07:37 PM

I'd try to get a '03 and save your money. I picked up my wife's '03 last year for 14K with 91K miles on it and it looked brand new. Deals are out there especially now with the economy the way it is.

StanBo 03-04-2010 07:53 PM

I am searching far and wide. My jeeps have 230k and 175k and they run like champs. I wouldn't mind getting something with some miles on it. Just seems like once the year is locked in most of the deals I see online are locked in at 24k to 29k.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...keywordsrep=&e

For example.

hamilton71801 03-04-2010 08:02 PM

Dang thats expensive...I'd check out Texas trucks...rust free!!! I know its a gamble, but check Ebay. I bought my '01 off there and don't regret it one bit.

Another source...besides the classifieds here, is the Thrifty Nickel (American Classifieds). Go online and search by state and you might find what you're looking for.

StanBo 03-04-2010 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by hamilton71801 (Post 2717298)
Dang thats expensive...I'd check out Texas trucks...rust free!!! I know its a gamble, but check Ebay. I bought my '01 off there and don't regret it one bit.

I wouldn't mind going down to Texas. I have a buddy in Dallas.

I have monitored Ebay a little bit. Mostly autotrader (which funny enough some trucks end up on ebay).

Originally Posted by hamilton71801 (Post 2717298)
Another source...besides the classifieds here, is the Thrifty Nickel (American Classifieds). Go online and search by state and you might find what you're looking for.

I am checking the classifieds here and will get to the state by state soon.

I purchased a leftover wrx wagon for my wife in 08. It was a leftover 2007 and we got it for a good deal. The shame with the diesels is that there don't seem to be a lot of longbeds. Most are short and I would like the extra room.

HMX-1 03-04-2010 11:03 PM

I know Idaho is the other side of the lower 48 for you, but have you tried Dave Smith? Both of my trucks came from them and I got incredible deals that I just couldn't pass up. I couldn't be happier with the sales experience.

jesussaves 03-05-2010 12:02 PM

BEst advice I can give you is pop the hood, if there is a cummins in there your good to go. Year doesnt matter

StanBo 03-05-2010 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by HMX-1 (Post 2717461)
I know Idaho is the other side of the lower 48 for you, but have you tried Dave Smith? Both of my trucks came from them and I got incredible deals that I just couldn't pass up. I couldn't be happier with the sales experience.

I will look them up. I will travel if needed.

Originally Posted by jesussaves (Post 2717808)
BEst advice I can give you is pop the hood, if there is a cummins in there your good to go. Year doesnt matter

Very good point. I tend to stress and research things a little too much sometimes, I hate just jumping into things blind.