Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   General Diesel Discussion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/)
-   -   Additive to prevent Gelling? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/additive-prevent-gelling-53010/)

Hairy1 10-26-2004 07:37 PM

Run PS year round

RowJ 10-27-2004 08:38 AM

Amaco has been one of the few companys that offer a Premium Diesel Fuel...with a min Cetane Rating of 50, I believe. Maybe that is what F.D. is using.

I believe higher Cetane, by itself, does not increase mileage...but maybe? When I traveled the northern Mid west, most farmers were using the premium fuels...at 10 cents a gal more. Must be other benefits than just easier starting?

RJ

Lightman 10-27-2004 11:49 AM

Rjohnson - BP/Amoco offer true premium diesels, not just additized #2 with a 'premium' sign on the pump. They are better from the start, using proprietary basestocks and are kept separate from regular #2 (no pipelines) from refinery to pump. Both Amoco Premier and BP Diesel Supreme are 50 cetane minimum, nearly ultra low sulfur (25ppm, ulsd is 15ppm), and have a slew of additives. There are MANY mislabeled pumps, and verifying you are getting these fuels is crucial. Several stations have been found to have displayed premier or supreme on the pumps and have regular #2. BP supreme is ONLY available in OH and KY. Amoco Premier is available in 6 midwest states or so. That's it. I've personally seen a Premier labeled pump in Tampa FL and laughed at the station owner. Complete and total fraudulent advertising, since that fuel never comes NEAR FL, and I reported him to BP Direct. Sign was changed shortly.

That said, I drive 20 mins out of my way each time to fill up with 50 cetane bp supreme. I get 1-2 mpg better per tank compared to my truck's lifelong averages. Also it just runs more smoothly and crisply, with less knocking.

There are a few small companies that offer their own premium 50 cetane products, although they are harder to find. Countrymark is one example.

infidel 10-27-2004 12:19 PM

Cenex in AR, CO, IA, ID, IL, KS, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NM, OK, OR, SD, TX, WA, WI, & WY sells 50+ cetane premium diesel.
Also available in bio blend.

farmer dave 10-27-2004 01:18 PM

This is the type of fuel I am talking about. I guess I was mistaken when I said it was #1, it is premium. I agree with lightman on it getting better mileage and it sounds better. It also doesn't smoke as much. The extra 10 cents per gallon doesn't effect me as much because we get it for farm use;) So it is still cheaper for me to buy the premium then to buy at the pump.
Dave

Shovelhead 10-27-2004 03:26 PM

Originally posted by farmer dave
This is the type of fuel I am talking about. I guess I was mistaken when I said it was #1, it is premium. .......
Dave

Ahhhhhh-Sooooooo, numba one Son!
sorry for my poor excuse for an imitation of Charlie Chan

;) :D

Lightman 10-27-2004 03:27 PM

FD - I didn't see you were in MI, you guys have access to Premier - great stuff.

Infidel - I forgot about the cenex roadmaster fuels, and I believe Irving also makes a premium product. Be careful though, because a lot of these so called premiums are just regular number 2 with heavy additive doses to get them to 50 cetane.

gotdiesel 12-23-2004 05:21 PM

As a diesel repair shop owner/mech. I would highly recomend nothing than a 70/30 blend of #2&#1 which is good to -20 or a 60/40 blend which is good to -50. As a last resort I will stand behind the Howes only for two reasons. #1 if you gell they will pay the tow bill and #2 is that I have used it in a pinch and it does work, power service is junk take this from a man who lives in cold winter wyoming.

CTDinMT 12-23-2004 10:16 PM

Man, I just moved to "cold winter Alaska" from "cold winter Montana" and I always used Power Service. Never had a problem.:rolleyes: -Steve

infidel 12-24-2004 11:56 AM

You at Malmstrom Steve? Much colder there than Anchorage.
Never a problem with Power Service for me down to -35F

BigDodge 12-24-2004 01:14 PM

FUEL TREATMENT

I use Amalgamated treatment, great stuff...here 's the link to there site.

Amalgamated , its $50 for 5 gals, 1 pint treats 47gals. They ship at a cost of $30, unless you live near Ft Wayne, In then you can pick up. Ask for Gary, additive 21665-15 custom blend.

Dave:)

CTDinMT 12-24-2004 02:24 PM

Originally posted by infidel
You at Malmstrom Steve? Much colder there than Anchorage.
Never a problem with Power Service for me down to -35F

Was at Malmstrom for the last four years. Your right on temps. So far the coldest we've seen here in Anchorage is -5. I never gelled up in Great Falls, MT running PS, and that was temps down to ambient of -30 degrees. -Steve