General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

ac compressor bypass

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ac compressor bypass

Ac compressor seized up and dont want to spend the money and cant wait for the compressor to be shipped. I bought the belt that is made for the non ac and used the diagram on the truck. Once installed it was way to long. I searched the web and found a pretty good diagram of a alternative route for the belt. It looked like it worked until i released the tensioner and it was still a little to long. It was relatively tight but from the tensioner and the waterpump the belt rubbed a bit. I think the belt is 110.25 in but need like 108in ish. please reply!!
Old 04-04-2015, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by njuser1
Ac compressor seized up and dont want to spend the money and cant wait for the compressor to be shipped. I bought the belt that is made for the non ac and used the diagram on the truck. Once installed it was way to long. I searched the web and found a pretty good diagram of a alternative route for the belt. It looked like it worked until i released the tensioner and it was still a little to long. It was relatively tight but from the tensioner and the waterpump the belt rubbed a bit. I think the belt is 110.25 in but need like 108in ish. please reply!!
--------------------------------------------
NJUser:

Sir, you need to include the year, make and model of your Dodge CTD so the members can help you.

--------
John_P
Old 04-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by njuser1
I am assuming after looking up the belt lengths that you are running a 2003-2012 truck, the AC belt is 127" and the non-AC is indeed 110-3/4"

I have to caution you about running any alternative diagrams, it is vital that the accessories turn the correct way or you can ruin it.

Try it this way with the 110-3/4 and let us know how it goes.

ac compressor bypass-3rd-gen-belt-routing.jpg
Old 04-06-2015, 07:14 PM

***Side of Hi-Way AC ByPass***

Originally Posted by patdaly
I am assuming after looking up the belt lengths that you are running a 2003-2012 truck, the AC belt is 127" and the non-AC is indeed 110-3/4"

I have to caution you about running any alternative diagrams, it is vital that the accessories turn the correct way or you can ruin it.

Try it this way with the 110-3/4 and let us know how it goes.

Attachment 44661
***On the side of the hi-way***

Hi I am trying the same thing. I am trying to bypass my Seized AC with a 110.2 Inch belt.
I have this diagram
ac compressor bypass-5.9l-cummins-belt-daigram.jpg
But Notice how the diagram shows the belt with Grove side down on the tensioner pulley when running no AC and with Back side down when running with AC.

Is it OK to run my belt grove side down on a flat tensioner pulley? or is there another tensioner with a groved pully?

Mopar / Dogde Parts guy Can't answer

Please HELP!

Thanks!

Jeff
2007 2500 SLT MegaCab 4x4 w/ 5.9L Cummins Diesel
Old 04-07-2015, 02:05 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
You are probably on your way by now but it is ok to run the grooves on a flat idler, the grooves are to increase surface area when driving an accessory but not needed on an idler. I have seen grooved idlers in the past but not recently.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:47 PM

Problem Solved - AC Bypass 2007 5.9L Cummins

Thanks Busboy,

you are correct, I can run the belt grove side down on the tensioner.

but the real fix came from a discovery that when By-Passing your AC you need to re-locate your Tensioner arm/pulley to another mouth location closed to the outer side of the block. this gives the tensioner an upward /right direction when spring is not loaded.

This is Crucial if you are using a 110.2 inch belt. otherwise the belts rub each other.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:15 PM

When I bought my 2001 truck new it was a bottom of the line truck without AC so I installed it, all that was needed on the engine was a compressor and a different belt that was routed differently, pretty sure the tensioner did not need to be relocated just rotated, I don't remember another mounting point there. I kept the old belt as a spare in case the compressor ever gave up the ghost while traveling. What year is your truck?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Busboy, he has to have a 3rd gen to be running that long belt.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Busboy, he has to have a 3rd gen to be running that long belt.
That makes sense, he didn't say what year the truck was.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:20 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
3rd gen AC delete or bypass needs the tensionor repositioned as mentioned. There is another threaded hole on the bracket and the notch for the tensionor to sit. I lost my AC this winter, lots of squealing so I bypassed it for now.
Time to order up the new AC components.

I stopped at two dealers asking for the NON AC belt, deer in the headlights look with them arguing there is no non AC on my truck.

Typical
Old 08-24-2015, 07:13 PM

The cheapest way to bypass the air compressor for the AC is to remove ac compressor and replace it with an ac compressor bypass pulley available at O'Reilly Auto Parts... look under a 2001 or 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 turbo diesel Cummins belts scroll down you will see an idler pulley you will see a belt tensioner pulley and then you will see the bypass AC pulley.. The supplier of the pulley is "Dorman Help" part # 34229.. boats n and replaces AC compressor then replace your belt if you still have it or the one that your truck calls for in my case the 127 enter... I found this out by accident when I improperly input 2001 instead of 2003 when online to O'Reilly Auto Parts but it worked as far as I can tell all 5.9 turbo diesel Cummins ac units are in the same place bottom passenger side of engine that's where yours is you might try this fix
Old 08-24-2015, 07:27 PM

PS to my last post.. The price for this replacement pulley is $49.95.. the non AC belt routing decal located on my core support under the hood measures 104 inches no one makes that length Belt... the book calls for a 110 inch belt for non AC its 6 inches too long
Old 10-15-2015, 04:34 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep, gotta move the tensioner assembly to the other location. Seems kinda weird to run the grooved side of the belt on a smooth pulley but I'm up and running again.

Thanks again!