General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

4th Gen Heavy Duties ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th Gen Heavy Duties ...

So if the 4th gen HDs get put into production (which seems likely, they make money), are they going to sell well being they may be the last Dodge Cummins trucks made? Or will that deter new buyers? They could become collectors items or forgotten relics.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:09 PM

I don't think the 4th gen will be the last Dodge Cummins. I think they will sell better than the Ford and Chevy trucks, due to already having an engine that meets 2010 emissions standards. I believe that the Ford "Scorpion" and Duramax will have the use Urea to meet the standards.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by '91 1st Gen
I believe that the Ford "Scorpion" and Duramax will have the use Urea to meet the standards.
...not to mention the teething problems that come with an entirely new engine. The CTD is the safe bet for the next few years.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
...not to mention the teething problems that come with an entirely new engine. The CTD is the safe bet for the next few years.
Exactly. The 6.7 Cummins has had its share of problems, there is no denying that, but by 2010, when the other diesels are coming out, the 6.7 will have a lot, if not most bugs worked out, while the new diesels be where the 6.7 was years ago.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:14 PM

I think they will be the only trucks to offer a manual transmission also?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:07 AM

But Dodge is the only company to offer a "truck"
DS79
Old 04-26-2009, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Berak
So if the 4th gen HDs get put into production (which seems likely, they make money), are they going to sell well being they may be the last Dodge Cummins trucks made? Or will that deter new buyers? They could become collectors items or forgotten relics.
Why would they be the last Dodge/Cummins made?? I guarantee Dodge will do whatever they need to keep Cummins if they wanted out, but Cummins knows they have a great partnership going and neither side has plans to end it. And dodge itself isnt going anywhere...so....?

Originally Posted by deerslayer1979
But Dodge is the only company to offer a "truck"
DS79
I concur! Dodge makes the only truck out there, thats why they get knocked for not having a uxurious interior. Do you want a truck or an SUV? Thats how I see it.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:57 PM

I hate it when you hear someone say "it rides rough, is noisy in the cab, and it handles like...a TRUCK" At that point they are told they need to sell their 3/4 ton and get themselves a F150 or a Silverado.
DS79
Old 04-27-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if the Feds have there way and put GMC in to Bankruptcy court it will make Dodge products look that much better to the buying public.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by deerslayer1979
"it rides rough, is noisy in the cab, and it handles like...a TRUCK" DS79

ahhhhh... All the things that bring a smile to my face....
Old 04-27-2009, 11:27 PM

Anyone really think that the new Scorpion is going to be released with all sorts of troubles? I really don't. I think they'll release an engine that has little if any problems....the past has to have taught Ford something.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by 03qclb5spd
Anyone really think that the new Scorpion is going to be released with all sorts of troubles? I really don't. I think they'll release an engine that has little if any problems....the past has to have taught Ford something.
I agree. They have a reputation going now about the quality of their engines. I believe they want to break that. That was the only thing that keep me from going to ford.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You are referring to the 6-oh-No of course. Remember, the "scorpion" is designed in-house, where even the 6-0h-No started out life as a Navistar- a company who knows diesels.

I'd be really scared of the scorpion's sting to my bank account.

Besides, do I really want to take it to the dealer every time it breaks down because they can remove the cab and I can't?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:12 PM

With all the new emissions equipment that is on these trucks nowadays, I think it is impossible to release an engine with little to no problems.

I'm sure they will be doing a LOT of testing, and getting a lot of bugs worked out, but the fact is, the only way to get the majority of them worked out is by releasing the engine to the public and getting the feedback from real world drivers.

Even Cummins, who has been in buisness since the 20's (I think it was 1918) had some problems with their new emissions engines.

So yes, I think the "Scorpion" will have some problems, but I think it will be a godd engine as well.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:05 PM

I do too, I'm just saying that a lot of the time us "Cummins guys" get carried away with trashing the motors in the Ford trucks, sometimes to the point where we make ourselves look like total jackarses. I too, considering the emissions standards do not feel that anyone can drop the perfect engine on the market but I guess it won't be too long before we find out eh?

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Heavy Duties ...