General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.
View Poll Results: 2nd or 3rd Gen CTD Purchase?
Keep the 2nd Gen
77.78%
Sell the 2nd Gen and purchase 3rd Gen
22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

2nd or 3rd Gen CTD Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:00 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
No thanks on the mega.

Shortbed.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on how bad you need the extra room. I dearly loved my 97 xt cab but when I got down to one vehicle the xt cab sucked. I needed 4 doors badly but I waited til I found a truck that had everything I wanted to handle a bigger 5er, like a 6 spd 4.10 instead of the 97 5 spd 3.54. I,m very happy with the change! I don't know if all megas are short beds. I wouldn't even consider it if it's a SB but that's me. Craig
Old 05-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I would love a mega long bed with 5.9. One of those Texas conversions.

Lotto next week!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Originally Posted by high bid
I appreciate all the comments and have decided to keep my 2nd gen...unless he changes his mind and lowers the price.
Good call...Seems everyone that sells their 2nd gen...miss them after a while...
Old 05-27-2012, 11:56 AM

I have both

a second and third gen, and in all honesty both have their flaws... and pluses...

A third gen has a much smoother ride, CR injection makes easy, and clean power, and IMHO their interior is much nicer than the second gen. Suspension issues are the same as the second gen, so thats a gimme, and an auto trans, well, again another gimme on these trucks, crap....

While my second gen is a 12 valve, and not a 24 like yours, they are more primitive, interior wise and ride wise, but simpler to work on than all the electronic things on the CR dodge... its a toss up either ways..

Towing, well thats an unfair thing here, a manual will always tow better than a stock auto.. Havent built my auto yet...

I sold my Ol 96, and am back in a 12V three years later.. I however daily drive an 05, and love it just the same as my 95. but they have their roles too, my 05 after the beefed up auto will be done, as used mainly as a working/hauling truck.. while my 95 will be my toy with emergency hauling and work...

best part of the 95, its paid for.. and thats the one thing i wish i could say about the 05..

Cummins Freak and FiftyGrit said it all best in both posts... but different strokes for different folks..
Old 05-27-2012, 12:24 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suspect the choice is going to be a personal one. One of my best friends replaces one of the 3 family vehicles every year to year and a half. He can make about 100 reasons to rationalize it. I have never bought a vehicle younger than 10 yrs old, pay cash and maintain it with my sweat equity. Neither one of can stand the other one's choices. I always have 2 or 3 little things that need work on my vehicles. My buddy's vehicles are pretty low maintenance but he hasn't been without a vehicle loan payment in 25 yrs. The loan thing is his usual criteria for time to buy a new one. As soon as the loan is done, he replaces the vehicle. I think he has even started leasing his wife's vehicles instead of buying them with loans. It seems a huge waste of money to me, but it is his choice and his money. Like I said, neither one of us can stand the approach the other one takes. We are great friends, just different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Yeh, I really miss the 97 but mostly cuz it was so much quicker and nicer to drive empty but the 03 would tow circles around the 97 and that's one of the biggest reasons for the change. I would really miss the 03 now if I didn't have it - especially if I had a 07.5+! Craig
Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So I wanted to revive this thread...all mega cab owners still happy?
I now have the opp to buy my uncles for $17k, 170k mi, 4x4, all maint stated to be up to date. Only towed a small fishing boat. My 99 runs like a champ.
A larger back seat sure would be nice but is the newer truck and payment really worth it?
Old 04-28-2014, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
Good call...Seems everyone that sells their 2nd gen...miss them after a while...
I was one of those guys so i went out and bought another 2nd gen.

The newer trucks are awesome and I couldn't live without a mega cab!! But I swear every 2nd gen diesel I see on the road makes my head turn
Old 04-28-2014, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by high bid
So I wanted to revive this thread...all mega cab owners still happy?
I now have the opp to buy my uncles for $17k, 170k mi, 4x4, all maint stated to be up to date. Only towed a small fishing boat. My 99 runs like a champ.
A larger back seat sure would be nice but is the newer truck and payment really worth it?
Bit of an update from the previous post----Still very happy,mind you i love my second genner for the weekend drive(s),mostly highway,drop her in sixth and really never shift again until traffic/road conditions permit.My 07 Mega DRW is way over-kill for me as a daily driver and now that i sold my fifth wheel(park model replaced it) it will only tow a quad trailer with supplies for our home/lake property.It sure is nice not shifting in rush hour and lets the wifey drive it too being an auto,pretty much in the summer months the MRS has my truck if she is heading up to the lake with her girlfriends etc,the extra room is nice for the ladies/Bloodhound dog and the food/beer/supplies.I have thought about letting the 01 go to someone else who would enjoy it too in the past year, as it is a waste to see it sitting in the garage 95% of the time with 68000 original KM on it,-------but to much time/$$$ and sweat into making a fun ride.I would probable bang my head against the wall if i saw someone else driving it---who knows what might happen over the next few years .PS----Because i have both, i really enjoyed them,sell one i and i would miss it later on for sure.A new one is 80k now up here in Canada---no way, to rich for me.CHEERS DW
Old 04-30-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the same dilemma, I want 4 doors and a short bed, not a Mega,
I also want to get away from 24V lift pumps & VP44.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
I was one of those guys so i went out and bought another 2nd gen.
times two...