General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

2011 Ford Powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Ford Powerstroke

I have been reading around some, curious as to what Ford has planned for 2011 since they and Navistar are parting ways.

I had read before that they were going to make their own diesel line called the "Lion", but have changed names to "Scorpion". It's going to be a 6.7L and so far from what I have seen is rumored at having a from the factory output of 390+hp and 730+lbs of torque. It is also bumping up to a six-speed auto, like GM and Dodge have.

Sure, most every production line engineered product has its issues the first year or three, but it seems that GM and Dodge better step up their game a GOOD bit in order to compete once they get that engine in line.

I just read that the 2011 cab and chassis Cummins is keeping the same 305hp/610tq that it has had in the past. I'm assuming that the 2011 Heavy Duty line Cummins will put out the same numbers it is putting out right now...
Old 01-31-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to Ford.com and you can watch the new truck in action. 400+ HP and 700+ tq is the deal. The Cummins may make less power in stock form but we all know what you can get out of one. Reliability is more important.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
The Cummins may make less power in stock form but we all know what you can get out of one. Reliability is more important.

Excatly Cummins! had been in the GAME ALOT LONGER
Old 02-01-2010, 02:50 PM

You can bet that Cummins can turn up HP/TQ numbers for the 6.7L if they feel the need.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:14 PM

Who the heck would want to be the guinea pig for Ford after the 6.0 fiasco (and early 6.4 issues). Don't care who blames who for that mess (whether it was a Ford issue or a Navistar issue), still wouldn't want to be their "test engineer" for them.

Who the heck would buy a Ford anyway ?
~Rob
Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by hotdram
Who the heck would want to be the guinea pig for Ford after the 6.0 fiasco (and early 6.4 issues). Don't care who blames who for that mess (whether it was a Ford issue or a Navistar issue), still wouldn't want to be their "test engineer" for them.

Who the heck would buy a Ford anyway ?
~Rob
Hmmm...Who would do such a thing?

I'm sure the new Ford will pass everything in site...

Except repair centers.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:59 PM

I would not buy a first run of the mill one that is for sure. I would wait until a couple years have past and some mega miles have been put on them before I bit the bullett. The front end will have to change before I could even think about it. Now Fords F150 Diesel will have to be looked at after a couple years
Old 02-02-2010, 05:14 PM

This will be the FIRST EVER DIESEL Ford has made for it's truck. Perhaps the code name should be gernade. One of the real benefits is that you do not have to pull the body off the chassis to work on the motor. Isn't that special?
They are bringing this to market in less than 3 years. That does not seem like enough time. They talk about testing this 250,000 miles. I would hope it is tested 2,500,000 miles minimum.
Perhaps some on this site want the hottest truck(HP/Torque) on the road. Most just want a truck that is 1. Reliable 2. Good Performance 3. Decent fuel economy 4. Excellent tow vehicle/tow rating. 5. Comfortable.
Everyone's list may change some, but the RAM CTD does all this very well, proven track record.
Who makes a better Diesel than Cummins? No one in this class. I think no one for the money, for what I understand.
So, sign up for that new Ford. Maybe they will have less than $500M in warranty work. It might beat a stock CTD, when it is not in the shop.
Do you feel lucky? Want to bet $50K?
Not me!
Old 02-02-2010, 05:32 PM

I think that FORD will be allot better at putting a Diesel out on the market for themselves than compared to a partnership. From what I can gather Ford has really put some effort into the R&D of the new Scorpion Diesel. I will not buy one,,,,,,,but we will see how they do!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:30 PM

remember dodge is the automaker known to "over build and under rate" . they've been under rating hp numbers since the sixties at least. id like to see a dyno test in comparisson to their factory rated numbers. and that ford has a v8. you still cant beat 6 in a row when it comes to towing and reliability
Old 02-05-2010, 02:34 PM

I think the only people interested in buying this new diesel are the the true Ford die-hards! These are the ones who are on their third buyback 6.0 Why would anyone, with half a brain, purchase Ford's new engine after the International nightmare? I will say that Ford builds a great truck and I'd buy one in a second. But only their new gas engine. I wouldn't give Ford a dime extra for this new Powerstroke.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:42 PM

I spoke with my uncle the other day (die hard ferd guy) he wants to trade out of his 6.4 (very poor economy), his very long time dealer said this new engine might not be out in 2011, ford might not offer a diesel until 2012.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:58 PM

I read some of the testing they did on that motor. Impressive, but I think I'll stick with the pesky "little" 6 cylinder that I have. I hope it is a good motor for them, they sure need a ringer, 3rd times a charm, right?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by wytesyko
I spoke with my uncle the other day (die hard ferd guy) he wants to trade out of his 6.4 (very poor economy), his very long time dealer said this new engine might not be out in 2011, ford might not offer a diesel until 2012.
My neighbor has an '11 6.7 PowerStroke. I assume he works at Ford, as he's had at least 10 6.4's within the past year, but the trucks and engines seem pretty much ready to go. At a local pull around here, some guys from Ford brought a new 6.7 and hooked it to the sled. They were fired for that, but again, the truck seemed like it was ready to go.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:34 PM

Just repeating what I heard. Do you know if those were m-plated trucks??? Since the 2011s should be out in 7 months does anyone know if the are on the production line?

Quick Reply: 2011 Ford Powerstroke