General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

2010 RAM HD will be different!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 RAM HD will be different!!!

In an interview with pickuptruck.com the lead designer of the RAM, Ralph Gilles, answered a question in regards to the redesign of the HD version and apparently they are going to start differentiating the design of the LD from the HD. You can watch the interview below.

I sure hope they make it meaner looking...

Interview
Old 01-15-2008, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, we'll all have to wait and see on the new 2010HDs, but this Ralph Gilles is good for Chrysler ... I hope they have the smarts to keep him on their staff. He's hit homeruns before and even though I know there is some bellyaching going on ...
"the new truck looks like the tundra, it looks like the ford" ... they are in the market to sell trucks ... and why not take a page from ford when they have been the leader in interior design with their current generation.

Hopefully apart of the differentiation he speaks of will be the integrated trailer brakes, more gauges ... etc that the HD guys are looking for.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:30 PM

I hope the 2010 HD models will be different (more meaner and aggressive) as those pics of the 4th Gen's body and grill are horrible. I guess I will be keeping my 2nd Gen a lot longer. I like the new interior somewhat but would like to see one with a stick instead of an auto.

Guess I will be waiting until 2010 or longer....
Old 01-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

If these 6 speed Aisiin (spelling ?) auto's hold up as good as they say they are. I wouldn't be surprised to see the manual disappear by 2010.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
If these 6 speed Aisiin (spelling ?) auto's hold up as good as they say they are. I wouldn't be surprised to see the manual disappear by 2010.
I won't be buy any newer Dodge's then. Aside from the fact Chevy's just aren't my thing, the fact they don't even offer a manual is a complete turn off of the Duramax. Same with the 6.4 and 6.0 PSD's (despite their already problems...the 6.4 is doing better however...)
Old 01-15-2008, 02:51 PM

I believe Chevy and Ford got rid of the manual options on trucks after the 2006 because there sales of manuals account for less than 1% of trucks. Dodge sales on the other hand are 50/50 and thats why they won't get rid of it, atleast not now. Whether thats because people think they make bad automatics, because they will primarily be towing with their vehicle, or they just like a manual is unbeknownst to me. If their smart they won't get rid of it unless it does fall to a percentage close to ford and chevy's.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:35 PM

The Aisin isn't used in the 'regular' trucks... it is only available in the C&C's....

I'll be interested to see what the differences are in the trucks... should prove to be an interesting waiting period full of speculation.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Marty86
I won't be buy any newer Dodge's then. Aside from the fact Chevy's just aren't my thing, the fact they don't even offer a manual is a complete turn off of the Duramax. Same with the 6.4 and 6.0 PSD's (despite their already problems...the 6.4 is doing better however...)
Why so closed minded?

I have a '98 Durango, and if the new trans were like that truck, I'd be dissapointed in it to.

The new autos are very much better though. I don't see why you would want a manual when the auto shifts like a manual, but doesn't need to have the clutch disengaged. IMHO

Merrick
Old 01-15-2008, 06:59 PM

I cant stand the auto shifter in the middle. Its looks to sedanish to me. When I first saw that in the newer f-150's it made me hate them even more. I am curious what the 2010 HD will look like but at the same time Im not so sure.... Not too impressed with the 2010 LD at all..... Think I will keep my 2nd gen!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:19 PM

I would have got a standard, but I didn't like the long shifter on the floor. If it came in a short shifter in a center consloe, I would have bought one.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:12 PM
FAY

V configuration engines need automatic transmissions

Originally Posted by 92'1stGen
I believe Chevy and Ford got rid of the manual options on trucks after the 2006 because there sales of manuals account for less than 1% of trucks. Dodge sales on the other hand are 50/50 and thats why they won't get rid of it, atleast not now. Whether thats because people think they make bad automatics, because they will primarily be towing with their vehicle, or they just like a manual is unbeknownst to me. If their smart they won't get rid of it unless it does fall to a percentage close to ford and chevy's.
Chevy and Ford got rid of their manual transmissions because their diesel engines could not handle the stump pulling force needed to function with direct coupling and give operators satisfactory performance.

V8 diesel engines suffer from a lack of ability to develop adequate low rpm torque because their strokes are less than their bores and they can not be fueled as heavy initially without damaging lighter constructed internal parts. V configuration engines also have less crankshaft main bearing supports then in an inline engine. A V configured engine also has lighter internal parts to limit excessive destructive centrifugal rotational forces in order to facilitate higher rpms. Inline diesel engines and gasoline inline engines have longer crankshaft throws and in turn longer strokes than their cylinder bores, thus giving that engine a mechanical advantage and potential to develop high torque at lower engine revolutions. Unfortunately, internal connecting rods and crank throws must be heavier to handle the excessive force at low rpm and this extra weight limits the red line rpm to prevent centrifugal force from destroying the bottom end. Inline diesel engines are truck engines for doing work and they do not need to be able to achieve high rpms that waste fuel anyway.

When a heavy load is encountered, a manual transmission requires an engine to develop high torque quickly so it will not stall when the clutch is dumped. Slipping a clutch to allow the engine to achieve higher rpm in order not to stall out the engine shortens the life of the clutch friction disk. Powerstroke and Duramax do not perform as satisfactorily with a manual transmission as they do with an automatic tranny. Their automatic transmissions have a certain amount of initial slip to allow the engine to reach a higher rpm before the full load resistance is engaged. The V8 diesels develop maximum torque at higher rpms and definitely benefit from working in front of a slush box.

BMW has a 3 liter twin turbocharged inline six cylinder gasoline engine that produces 300 ft-lbs of torque at 1400 rpms. Yes, the stroke it longer then the bore and this engine can still attain 7000 rpm before red line is reached.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Aisins' have not been out long enough or that many of them to start getting reports about them one way or another. They look good on paper, and the hard parts have a lot of beef to them... I guess we'll see eventually.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FAY
Chevy and Ford got rid of their manual transmissions because their diesel engines could not handle the stump pulling force needed to function with direct coupling.
its the fact that the ZF trans/flywheel is/was a piece of garbage, and GM didnt sell any. I think something silly like 1% of dmax's got a ZF trans. Supply vs. demand. You dont sell much of one option, you discontinue it. It all boils down to how a mfg can make the most profit with the least amount of cost to them. GM didnt discontinue it "because the duramax couldnt handle it". The allison is a good auto, and GM took that and ran with it. They marketed it and pushed it, and that in addition with the name "allison", its no surprise they dindt sell any ZF's. They use it as their main marketing scheme/selling point just as dodge has the cummins. If dodge had another diesel option alongside the cummins, do you think people would choose that other diesel over the legendary CTD? NO! And you'd see the same scenario with the auto/manual situation in the GM trucks.

Whether people like it or not, the automatic trans is the future. We are not dealing with the worthless slushboxes of 30 years ago, now you can get an auto that will tow just as well and perform just as well as a manual, without tiring your leg out, etc...so if you are presented with an auto like that, why would you not choose it over a worthless dual mass flywheel that starts rattling every 20k miles?

The 47/48re was not a great auto (im sorry, but I dont think many will argue with me) for towing, the gear ratios were bad, etc.. People with diesel trucks tow, so thats why dodge sells so many manuals, because nobody wants to tow 16,000 pounds with an overgrown torqueflite 727. The 47/48re could not effectively keep the cummins in its ideal torque range, which is way down low unlike V8's because the trans was not designed with diesel engines in mind, particularly a stump puller like the cummins. With the 48re towing big loads you are either lugging the engine too low, or screaming away at redline. With a manual you have 6 gears to choose from, much better matched to keeping the engine in its proper rpm range. So thats why half of dodge guys buy a manual, because of the poor auto reputation. Not saying the current chrysler auto's are bad in that they blow up all the time, Ive heard of plenty 48re's going many miles, but they just are not suited to moving big loads around efficently. If chrysler offered an allison trans, I bet you would see the same trends as GM, 1 manual to every 100 auto trucks.

As for your "direct coupling" theory, thats not true because once above 20mph in second gear, your manual is NO MORE direct coupled than an allison is when in tow/haul mode. When you jab the throttle and let off, it snaps your head back and forth just the same way a manual trans truck does.

Its all a money thing.

but hey, thats just my own dumb oppinion.

ben
Old 01-16-2008, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by fordkiller43
I cant stand the auto shifter in the middle. Its looks to sedanish to me. When I first saw that in the newer f-150's it made me hate them even more. I am curious what the 2010 HD will look like but at the same time Im not so sure.... Not too impressed with the 2010 LD at all..... Think I will keep my 2nd gen!
I am with you!
Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good info Ben.

I'm also hearing rumors of a 'manual matic' or 'semi auto' for the HD's that may replace the manual transmission. My guess it's a computer controlled clutch and shifter (like a Ferrari).

MikeyB

Quick Reply: 2010 RAM HD will be different!!!